Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 03:51 PM

234 posts, read 162,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCoffee808 View Post
To locals, transplants come across as someone who is unapologetically ill-mannered.
Interesting. Because that is the kind of attitude I witness in a lot of the younger local generation. Not the older Hawaiians who have respect...it's always the young-still in school/fresh out of school local punks that seem to always have an air of violence about them. A lot like to fight and be confrontational....not all....but there is this underlying note of aggression I've noticed.

Old 10-12-2015, 04:37 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,261,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpuff View Post
it's always the young-still in school/fresh out of school local punks that seem to always have an air of violence about them.
Instead of "still in school/fresh out-of-school" that should probably be "school-aged" or "should be in school." If the "local punks" were educated, they'd know how to sublimate that "air of violence" and become "community activists."

Old 10-12-2015, 05:27 PM

33 posts, read 39,368 times
Oh, there are definite discipline problems with Hawaii youth. It's been developing as an issue for maybe the last 10 years. These are deliberate acts of rudeness and I treat them as such.

The issue with transplants is they are not deliberate acts of rudeness and locals understand that. However the behavior remains uncorrected because its difficult to communicate what the issues are. Thus local begin to see it as just being the way mainlanders are.

Old 10-12-2015, 06:45 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,585,685 times
It is almost (but not really) amusing that some folks put all "mainlanders" into one large homogeneous group. And talk about a "mainland attitude". I will agree though that stereotypes are a handy, if inaccurate, substitute for thinking....

Old 10-13-2015, 07:58 AM

1,268 posts, read 798,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
It is almost (but not really) amusing that some folks put all "mainlanders" into one large homogeneous group. And talk about a "mainland attitude". I will agree though that stereotypes are a handy, if inaccurate, substitute for thinking....

Agreed! It is also my point. If you look at most Americans, they come from multicultural backgrounds, and they are familiar with assimilation. Trust me, there are numerous places on the mainland that require adaptation for most to fit-in.

Many in Hawaii have a fallacy in thinking mainlanders and other groups are homogenous. I would often hear: "You can tell a young man from the Philippines by the aftermarket items on his car"; "Portuguese people are so loud"; "Haoles are arrogant and don't respect the aina"; "Micronesians are a plague to the islands". These are all just stereotypes. Pidgin is unique, but areas of the United States have a language that is as equally distinct. For example, the Creole, Cajun, Southern, and Appalachia areas of the USA all have distinct pronunciations, phrases, and dialects. From experience, you would be hard pressed to even begin to comprehend a discussion with an Appalachian unless you were familiar with their dialect and phrases. Regions of the USA have distinct religious influences, cultural observances, and foods. Even in this thread, it was posted about the Asian influence. Undeniably, there is an Asian influence on the islands; however, Asian, in and of itself, is a very broad category.

Hawaii is wonderful with many exceptional and great people, but it is this "transplant mentality" and stereotyping that greatly limit experiences and knowledge of those with which they share commonalities. Limiting your circle of contact, also limits your quality of life. Hawaii has so much diversity. I feel many are missing out on some great experiences with people who live right next door.

Old 10-13-2015, 10:30 AM

42 posts, read 53,696 times
It's funny and a bit sad too, that so many transplants and Caucasians are so verbally opposed over a word or an attitude that they perceive as a generalization of there race, they are correct it is. But let's be honest and real here. For generations in Hawaii rich haoles have had this same attitude towards locals and native Hawaiians. In fact it's got worse then just a name and attitude it got to the point of locals being lynched in public by mobs of haoles over perceptions, locals were owned and a big population of locals were imprisoned and lost there homes and propertie etc. This is just locals, I'm not talking about what happened to native Hawaiians. The point is , the reason all these things happened in the history of Hawaii was because outsiders believed they were superior and entitled It was made worse when other mainlanders seeing the wrongs did nothing to stop it. So I have to agree with the OP and posters like HBH that what is lacking in this forum by transplants here is an understanding of Hawaii history. Further this superior attitude and actions is not just in the past but present today in Hawaii, instead we use different words.

Old 10-13-2015, 03:59 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaAina3 View Post
and posters like HBH
What lucky timing you decided to join shortly after he was banned from the forum

Old 10-13-2015, 04:47 PM

42 posts, read 53,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
What lucky timing you decided to join shortly after he was banned from the forum
Aloha Mr Viper. Though I may not agree with everything HBH and others like him said I agree on this. Now Mr Viper it's not nice to cast shadows on others you don't know, especially if they believe in something you don't. One character asset that is looked upon as a positive in Hawaii is being humble. I'm new here but reading your posts in the past I would assume you would be greatful that your still a member of this forum? Anyway have a good day ok.

Old 10-13-2015, 04:58 PM

927 posts, read 759,455 times
People are busy too. Everyone in the family has to work. They don't want the hassle of befriending another Mainlander when there's been 20 here already and its only 10am.

Old 10-13-2015, 06:30 PM

1,268 posts, read 798,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaAina3 View Post
It's funny and a bit sad too, that so many transplants and Caucasians are so verbally opposed over a word or an attitude that they perceive as a generalization of there race, they are correct it is. But let's be honest and real here. For generations in Hawaii rich haoles have had this same attitude towards locals and native Hawaiians. In fact it's got worse then just a name and attitude it got to the point of locals being lynched in public by mobs of haoles over perceptions, locals were owned and a big population of locals were imprisoned and lost there homes and propertie etc. This is just locals, I'm not talking about what happened to native Hawaiians. The point is , the reason all these things happened in the history of Hawaii was because outsiders believed they were superior and entitled It was made worse when other mainlanders seeing the wrongs did nothing to stop it. So I have to agree with the OP and posters like HBH that what is lacking in this forum by transplants here is an understanding of Hawaii history. Further this superior attitude and actions is not just in the past but present today in Hawaii, instead we use different words.
It's ironic someone speaking about a perceived smug superiority in the history of one race asserts that locals are correct by acting smug and arrogant. First, this is faulty logic because I shouldn't be sent to prison when my grandfather committed murder. I am only responsible for my actions.

Hawaiians and locals are NOT the only people to suffer oppression. There are many in America with similar ancestorial stories--some much worse. We shouldn't forget history, but we can't live in it either. In short, those guilty are gone. Hawaii is an American State. Nothing you mention is happening today, and you are not exceptional in oppression. It happened to many groups.

Second, let's assume your blame the grandchildren of the guilty theory had any merit. You can still not justify a wrong with a wrong. I can't steal your television because your grandfather stole my grandfather's radio. It is very illogical because there would be no end. Think of the groups in our country and imagine all of them went after other groups who mistreated their ancestors. No one would be left!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: