Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2015, 04:06 PM

959 posts, read 1,216,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
It is common knowledge that, generally speaking, Caucasians are inherently more arrogant when compared to Asians. Mainland transplants that display introversion and meekness will have a much easier time assimilating into local culture.

I'm appalled by the way men catcall women when I go to mainland cities. To think that this is even remotely tolerated blows my mind. You will very rarely see this kind of rude, obnoxious, blatantly disgusting behavior among local people.
Nice to see yet another thread morph into Caucasian bashing. As a Caucasian, it would not be acceptable for me to use such negative stereo-type towards any other group of people. I grow tired seeing it justified in these threads.

Oddly, having spent most of my life in mainland cities I've never seen the catcalling of women as you describe as being so common. If I were to see it, I would agree that behavior to be completely unacceptable by any measure. However, if you want to talk about treatment of women, I've seen them routinely treated like second class servants by men in many Asian counties I've visited.

Old 10-16-2015, 04:22 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
It is common knowledge that, generally speaking, Caucasians are inherently more arrogant when compared to Asians. Mainland transplants that display introversion and meekness will have a much easier time assimilating into local culture.

I'm appalled by the way men catcall women when I go to mainland cities. To think that this is even remotely tolerated blows my mind. You will very rarely see this kind of rude, obnoxious, blatantly disgusting behavior among local people.

I'm going to guess you are not a girl.

Though, when one local boy got particularly crass, I went up to his boys and told them how he was acting. They were apologetic, made him apologize and stop acting up. To me that was nice that I can be comfortable doing that, and was confident of the outcome.

Hawaii is just a big, small town, so people have a tendency to be more polite.

I just find it a tad odd, and arrogant, to tell people you are going to educate them on fitting in. Hawaii is known as being pretty humble, and I find this thread the opposite of that. It didn't come across as sharing, just someone who wanted to feel important.

I'm not sure if that was the OP's intent.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-16-2015, 04:27 PM

1,585 posts, read 2,109,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
Nice to see yet another thread morph into Caucasian bashing. As a Caucasian, it would not be acceptable for me to use such negative stereo-type towards any other group of people. I grow tired seeing it justified in these threads.

Oddly, having spent most of my life in mainland cities I've never seen the catcalling of women as you describe as being so common. If I were to see it, I would agree that behavior to be completely unacceptable by any measure. However, if you want to talk about treatment of women, I've seen them routinely treated like second class servants by men in many Asian counties I've visited.
It was not meant to offend. You would think prefacing with a statement that it's a generalization would calm some ultra sensitive nerves. Sometimes it's more beneficial to the general public to not be PC all the time. You do know this is the new norm in the political world, I hope.

Again and to repeat, it is common knowledge that Caucasians are generally more outspoken and arrogant than most Asians. There is a very strong cultural divide in this regard. Some races tend to be more outwardly extroverted than others. Again, this is common knowledge, political correctness aside.

BTW, my father is 100% Caucasian (NOT born and raised in Hawaii); he accepts my comments, is not offended... and agrees.

Old 10-16-2015, 05:59 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,816,565 times
Quote:
I'm appalled by the way men catcall women when I go to mainland cities.
Where and when was the last time you saw something like this?

Old 10-16-2015, 06:53 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,574,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
Where and when was the last time you saw something like this?
Hell, it happens all the friggin time. ESPECIALLY IN WAILEA!!!!!! I was having dinner at the Grand Wailea last night, and recorded this at the table opposite mine during the floor show!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVN1Apz45AE

DIS,,,, uuurrrrpppp, scuze me, GUSTING

Old 10-16-2015, 07:24 PM

33 posts, read 39,368 times
It is not uncommon to be direct about racial and cultural differences in an academic discussion and it has been my intent to be analytical about the difficulties transplants have integrating into local culture, provide a historical and cultural context, and approaches to resolving these issues on an individual level.

As much as possible I have attempted to avoid assigning a value judgement to these difficulties. Local Hawaii culture is unsurprisingly a dominant force in Hawaii, it is expedient for transplants to behave in a way that aligns with local sensibilities. When cousins of mine attended college in the mainland my advice to them included needed to change their behavior. Local standards for friendly behavior while polite appears quiet and standoffish by mainland standards. It has been discussed academically that local children have trouble standing out and being competitive for academic attention in mainland college classrooms. Recognizing and understanding how mainland culture and behavior differs from their upbringing is important to their academic and professional success.

Old 10-16-2015, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Hawaii is just a big, small town, so people have a tendency to be more polite.
We are a "big, small town" because of our strong Asian population with roots in humble labor-based upbringings (immigrant plantation workers, etc).

I would say that if you plan to move to Hawaii and people perceive you as arrogant, boisterous and even mildly pretentious REGARDLESS OF YOUR RACE, chances are you won't make a lot of friends with locals when you move here. Yes, you probably won't make a lot of friends anywhere, but your popularity would be much lower here in Hawaii when compared to most other places in the mainland.

Did that statement meet the PC police requirements?

Old 10-16-2015, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCoffee808 View Post
Local standards for friendly behavior while polite appears quiet and standoffish by mainland standards. It has been discussed academically that local children have trouble standing out and being competitive for academic attention in mainland college classrooms. Recognizing and understanding how mainland culture and behavior differs from their upbringing is important to their academic and professional success.
Very true

Old 10-16-2015, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
Hell, it happens all the friggin time. ESPECIALLY IN WAILEA!!!!!! I was having dinner at the Grand Wailea last night, and recorded this at the table opposite mine during the floor show!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVN1Apz45AE

DIS,,,, uuurrrrpppp, scuze me, GUSTING
That wolf was clearly raised in the mainland by a Caucasian family.

Old 10-17-2015, 12:26 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,583,975 times
Quote:
It was not meant to offend. You would think prefacing with a statement that it's a generalization would calm some ultra sensitive nerves. Sometimes it's more beneficial to the general public to not be PC all the time. You do know this is the new norm in the political world, I hope.

Again and to repeat, it is common knowledge that Caucasians are generally more outspoken and arrogant than most Asians. There is a very strong cultural divide in this regard. Some races tend to be more outwardly extroverted than others. Again, this is common knowledge, political correctness aside.

BTW, my father is 100% Caucasian (NOT born and raised in Hawaii); he accepts my comments, is not offended... and agrees.
Stereotypes are always based on "common knowledge". And are wrong as often as they are right, but observational bias reinforces those stereotypes. Categorizing all Caucasians as "outspoken and arrogant" says more about you than it does the group you are trying to denigrate, and it isn't very flattering...

But have a nice day.
Mahalo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: