Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 08:12 PM

206 posts, read 466,166 times

Advertisements

Who cares? It doesn't affect me anymore then the other refugees or asylum seekers that have come to the U.S. during my lifetime, which neither I or most of you people have bothered to take any notice of. As for the makeup of the refugees, given the fact that they had to pay money to be smuggled out of the country, and survive an incredibly perilous journey to safety, it makes a lot of sense that the population wouldn't primarily be elderly, children, uneducated or destitute. They are fleeing horrific violence, they don't want to die. Syrians did not perpetrate the attacks on Paris. They have the potential to be productive citizens of whatever country they settle in, so it's good if some of them do come to America.

Just like people who with homes think they are the true victims of homelessness, it appears that people who have never had to flee their homes and lose everything due to war and violence, think they are the true victims of the refugee crisis because of fox news.

Last edited by Vaedrem; 11-22-2015 at 08:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2015, 08:33 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,897,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaedrem View Post
Who cares? It doesn't affect me anymore then the other refugees or asylum seekers that have come to the U.S. during my lifetime, which neither I or most of you people have bothered to take any notice of.
That is quite a shortsighted viewpoint. The statements the governor made are less about the Syrian refugees than about a governor who makes comments that are so out of touch with reality. We have an incredibly strained social services network today and have to governor who is willing to make statements like that makes you wonder what other kind of things are is he willing to do considering the state of the state.

Old 12-12-2015, 09:37 AM

30,613 posts, read 18,198,614 times
Refugees may impose a temporary financial burden on the state, but I'd be willing to bet that their desire to better themselves in a new land will make them among the more productive members of society after a while. I think its a good investment in the state's future (apart from being the humanitarian thing to do).

Old 12-12-2015, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Refugees may impose a temporary financial burden on the state, but I'd be willing to bet that their desire to better themselves in a new land will make them among the more productive members of society after a while. I think its a good investment in the state's future (apart from being the humanitarian thing to do).
Just like the Micronesians have in Hawaii?

Old 12-12-2015, 01:52 PM

30,613 posts, read 18,198,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Just like the Micronesians have in Hawaii?
Like the Cubans in Florida, the Jews in NY, or how about the general history of immigrant innovation and determination in this country.

Old 12-12-2015, 02:41 PM

Ah, so you think Syrians coming halfway around the world will do much better than Micronesians closer to home in Hawaii.

Old 12-12-2015, 02:51 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
Quote:
Ah, so you think Syrians coming halfway around the world will do much better than Micronesians closer to home in Hawaii.

Yes. The cultural mindset is very different.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-12-2015, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Yes. The cultural mindset is very different.

Because the people of Hawaii embrace Muslims so much more and our high density of Mosques means they will feel less out of place?

Old 12-12-2015, 06:18 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
Quote:
Because the people of Hawaii embrace Muslims so much more and our high density of Mosques means they will feel less out of place?
No.

The motivation of the two cultures is vastly different. Religion is not the end all of what defines an immigrant. It is an independent observation of two cultures outside of whatever western location they choose to settle in.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-12-2015, 06:23 PM

I've been to the middle east a few times, albeit not Syria. And I certainly never got the impression it was a terribly hard working society as opposed to let's say the Chinese
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii