Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 02:34 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,928,674 times

Advertisements

Thoughts?

Seems we have enough problems in Hawaii with Micronesian homelessness and strained social services. No?

"Hawaii Gov. David Ige says the state would welcome refugees from Syria with aloha."

"The governor says "Hawaii is the Aloha State, known for its tradition of welcoming all people with tolerance and mutual respect."

"Ige says safety is his first priority. He says the U.S. accepts refugees only after conducting the highest level of screening and security checks."

Hmmm, I'm curious - is there a database to screen these folks? Do they have paperwork?

Governor: Hawaii would welcome Syrian refugees - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 02:51 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,238,471 times
I realize some will say good riddance, but I am voting with my feet and moving next year.

I have loved my time in HI, but the taxes and expenses are a major consideration in leaving the state. The mismanagement of tax dollars, debt levels, and goofy decisions (rail will lower traffic by about 3-5% in 15-20 years, but will cost each and every resident a little more than $37,000 - assuming no further cost over runs). HI has the highest homeless population as a function of per capita (465 per 100K) lets me know as a worker with a decent salary and a home owner, I am simply a "primary revenue source" for the ever expanding good idea fairy wish list.

And now Syrian refugees added to the mix...

Syrian refugees so far have been almost exclusively healthy military aged males. That sounds more like an invasion than a refugee crisis to me.

So, if it was limited it to Syrian Christians (ongoing genocide directed at them by ISIS specifically and by Muslims generally), or women and children, or intact families ACTUALLY FROM SYRIA, perhaps providing refugee status in HI should be considered, but military aged males from the generic "middle east" posing as Syrian refugees? Call me jaded, but I don't think that will end well for Hawaii and her residents.

Last edited by Tuck's Dad; 11-17-2015 at 03:02 PM..

Old 11-17-2015, 07:49 PM

1,893 posts, read 2,536,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post
Syrian refugees so far have been almost exclusively healthy military aged males. That sounds more like an invasion than a refugee crisis to me.

So, if it was limited it to Syrian Christians (ongoing genocide directed at them by ISIS specifically and by Muslims generally), or women and children, or intact families ACTUALLY FROM SYRIA, perhaps providing refugee status in HI should be considered, but military aged males from the generic "middle east" posing as Syrian refugees? Call me jaded, but I don't think that will end well for Hawaii and her residents.
Where do you get your information that Syrian refugees are almost exclusively healthy military aged males? I can only guess Ben Carson. According to the UN Refugee Agency almost 40% are children 11 and under and women outnumber men.

Syria Regional Refugee Response - Regional Overview

Also, it's not primarily Christians that are being targeted, it's actually other Muslims and Yazidis. The war ISIS is waging is primarily against other Muslims, not the West as popular media would have you believe. You sound like you've watched one Republican debate and based all your information off that. Where I will agree is that I don't think Hawaii is well equipped to handle the number of refugees Ige has mentioned. I oppose the resettlement of refugees in Hawaii not based on the possible (overblown) terrorism concerns, but on the fact that we seem hardly capable of handling our own down and out population. How are we supposed to handle 10,000 refugees if we can't even handle 5000 homeless? Now if Syrian refugees are allowed into this country there's nothing stopping them from coming to Hawaii but at least the cost of an expensive plane ticket might discourage them.

Old 11-17-2015, 07:54 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,917,248 times
Efforts are underway to provide 1-way tickets out of Hawaii to the homeless ( Why Flying Hawaii's Homeless To Other States Is A Good Thing )

I can only interpret the welcoming of Syrian refugees to mean that Ige only intends to bring in Syrian refugees who have a pre-existing family support system here. Otherwise, Hawaii is
requesting to be the "middle-man" in a bizarre homeless in/out revolving door.

Old 11-17-2015, 08:02 PM

48,555 posts, read 34,911,433 times
From all the people I've talked to if Ige proceeds he will not be re-elected.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-17-2015, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
Where do you get your information that Syrian refugees are almost exclusively healthy military aged males? I can only guess Ben Carson. According to the UN Refugee Agency almost 40% are children 11 and under and women outnumber men.

Syria Regional Refugee Response - Regional Overview

Also, it's not primarily Christians that are being targeted, it's actually other Muslims and Yazidis. The war ISIS is waging is primarily against other Muslims, not the West as popular media would have you believe. You sound like you've watched one Republican debate and based all your information off that. Where I will agree is that I don't think Hawaii is well equipped to handle the number of refugees Ige has mentioned. I oppose the resettlement of refugees in Hawaii not based on the possible (overblown) terrorism concerns, but on the fact that we seem hardly capable of handling our own down and out population. How are we supposed to handle 10,000 refugees if we can't even handle 5000 homeless? Now if Syrian refugees are allowed into this country there's nothing stopping them from coming to Hawaii but at least the cost of an expensive plane ticket might discourage them.
I recently retired from the military, daughter is currently a military Intel analyst. The displaced are different from the refugees crossing borders, so the UN numbers o not accurately reflect percentages of refugees moving to other countries.

Where did you get your information from, other than the UN, which does have it's own agenda?

Old 11-17-2015, 08:50 PM

959 posts, read 1,217,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
From all the people I've talked to if Ige proceeds he will not be re-elected.
Unfortunately, people have such short memories that I doubt it will impact him at all by the time the next election comes around. But hopefully they remember.

Hawaii can't even solve current problems of homelessness and overcrowding and yet he suggests taking in refuges would be acceptable ? That's irresponsible in my opinion. And considering how expensive the cost of living is, is this really the place to take people with nothing to make a fresh start? High cost of living combined with limited opportunities, low wages and barriers to move to another state to find opportunity.

Old 11-17-2015, 08:51 PM

1,893 posts, read 2,536,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post
I recently retired from the military, daughter is currently a military Intel analyst. The displaced are different from the refugees crossing borders, so the UN numbers o not accurately reflect percentages of refugees moving to other countries.

Where did you get your information from, other than the UN, which does have it's own agenda?
So basically you're saying you have no statistics to contradict what I said. Anybody can say "The displaced are different from the refugees crossing borders, so the UN numbers o not accurately reflect percentages of refugees moving to other countries." If that's the extent of your argument all I have to say is I'd trust the UN numbers over your vague statement without any evidence whatsoever. Actually I think you've already made up your mind without regard for whatever evidence anyone presents you so really there's no use arguing.

Old 11-17-2015, 08:54 PM

48,555 posts, read 34,911,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
Unfortunately, people have such short memories that I doubt it will impact him at all by the time the next election comes around. But hopefully they remember.

Wish I could disagree with that but I cannot. Sometimes though, issues stick.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-17-2015, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
So basically you're saying you have no statistics to contradict what I said. Anybody can say "The displaced are different from the refugees crossing borders, so the UN numbers o not accurately reflect percentages of refugees moving to other countries." If that's the extent of your argument all I have to say is I'd trust the UN numbers over your vague statement without any evidence whatsoever. Actually I think you've already made up your mind without regard for whatever evidence anyone presents you so really there's no use arguing.
It's all open source information. Here is a right, center, and left publication all saying that the refugees are mostly military age.

United Nations says 72% of Syrian “refugees” are MEN, only 13% are children! » The Right Scoop -

EU: Of 600,000 refugees, only 20% are Syrian, 72% men | Washington Examiner

The Flow of Refugees Puts the Rise of ISIS in Perspective
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii