Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 01:25 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,595,945 times

Advertisements

I tried to cut-and-paste- says not found, but comes up when I Google micronesians in Oceanview Hawaii. He's running running for mayor-not president.

Last edited by leilaniguy; 12-19-2015 at 01:29 PM.. Reason: wouldn't paste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2015, 10:47 PM

404 posts, read 1,244,988 times
Try this link: Micronesians in Hawaii: The Odyssey of Jonithen Jackson

Old 12-20-2015, 02:49 PM

1,585 posts, read 2,108,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leilaniguy View Post
Article is on Hawaii News - Honolulu Civil Beat - Investigative Reporting They said it, not me. There are photos.
Actually, no. You said it.

Micronesians in Hawaii: The Odyssey of Jonithen Jackson

Jackson makes this promise from his home on two acres in the dry, rural Hawaiian Ocean View Estates on the Big Island. About 700 Marshallese call Ocean View home and Jackson is their informal leader.

Ocean View consists of 102 square miles of land - not 2 acres. Saying 700 Micronesians reside on 2 acres gets great shock value on this forum. But it's entirely wrong.

Old 12-20-2015, 02:58 PM

Actually I heard it first from Mayor Kenoi speaking on Big Island Video News about 4-5 years ago. He was the one who first mentioned 300 on 1 acre.

Old 12-30-2015, 03:42 PM

33 posts, read 157,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post
It may be true that most of the refugees are men, but that is because young men are more mobile and more able to withstand the trials and stresses of uprooting than women, families, or the elderly. There may well be bad elements that try to infiltrate, but that has been going on for decades with crime being an major western refugee import. Does this make the US less safe? Probably, but it has to be looked at in context. There were 300 mass killings (defined as more than 4 dead) in the US this year committed by local gun-toting maniacs. In comparison, there were a dozen or so terror related incidents for the same period. There needs to be a little soul searching and prioritizing don't you think?

We are facing a humanitarian crisis so everyone has to do their bit, regardless of ever-stretched budgets. Hawaii is not the only place with huge homeless problems and where social services are stretched to the limit. Refugees from poverty-stricken, war-torn regions will obviously look to the richest regions of the world, because they will be better equipped to help. Should Haiti take Hawaii's share? "Not in my back yard" is a typical and expected reaction, but I would imagine a large number of posters here are haole transplants, who, through contrived circumstances, enjoy the privilege of being able to live here.

Old 01-05-2016, 11:52 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,558,694 times
Getting refugees out of crisis is just the beginning. Photo's of wet children crying because their scared, wet, and cold are heart wrenching. Then comes the footage of the fathers crying tears of joy, it's touching. But it's not about saving immediate live, it's about ASSIMILTION that' folks are worried about.
Right off the bat we see footage of Syrian refugees REFUSE the Red Cross water because the bottles have (red) crosses on them!! Yikes, that's just the beginning.
It's the assimilation of these women and babies? young children in 12 years plus. Those children influenced by their parent's strong cultural ties will end up resenting Hawaii/America because they don't fit in. So, like the Boston Bomber and his brother, instead of appreciating all the food stamps, free health care, free education, they resent the handouts from America. They then want to return to their "roots", fly back to the Middle East and sign up to join Jihad.

Look at this article from Huffington Posts, this is indicative of the problems of cultural assimilation in a nutshell:

"
Abu-Adel, 48, has also made the decision to take his family back to Turkey. Sweden is not right for them, he tells HuffPost Arabi. He is a father to three teenage girls and a younger son.
“I cannot raise them here. The great margin of freedom, which borders on chaos, has turned into a ghost that haunts me everywhere I go,” he said. “The independence that children get, and their freedom to do as they please, and the constant threat of losing my children if I force them to follow our customs and traditions, has become a nightmare that keeps me up at night.”
Abu-Adel said he is used to the “conservative society” he was raised in, and that “sexual freedom is [his] biggest fear.”
“I will take them and go back to our region,” he said. “I won’t allow one of my daughters to have a relationship with a young man under the guise of friendship. And I can’t imagine myself sitting in the spectator chair if my son decides to drink alcohol. Everything is allowed there, and I can’t possibly go on like this.”

Not in my backyard, please!

Old 01-07-2016, 07:10 PM

16,258 posts, read 43,181,569 times
Is this still even an issue?

Any follow-up stories of any actual ACTION occurring after the Governor's comment?

Old 01-07-2016, 11:15 PM

As far as I've heard, the population of Hawaii is 0% Syrian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii