Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 02:53 PM

117 posts, read 545,444 times

Advertisements

^it looks like people like him need validation for their decision to move away
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2010, 05:15 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,515,746 times
Not everyone who moves here does it for a permanent move. Some move here knowing that it is only for 1,2,3 years to begin with. Those people's experience and knowledge could really help others.

Old 05-30-2010, 07:40 PM

140 posts, read 407,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious View Post
Is there a reason you "patrol" the Hawaii forum now that you've moved away?

Are people who moved away afraid that some people who move to and live in Hawaii actually might be happy?

Just curious.

-V
to spread his negativity around. everything on his list of dislikes are obvious to us. that's part of life and we deal with it.

i personally can't wait to move, but until then i will enjoy my time here. i was raised here, but am ready to move. my reason is a lot of our (the bf and i) hobbies involve race tracks. pretty much things that are non-existent or very expensive here. he's got another year of being stationed here, but until then there's very few complaints from either of us.

i'm sure come december and i'm sitting in a north dakota winter, i'll be homesick for sunsine... even though i know there aren't any roaches running around in the house i'm staying at.

Old 05-30-2010, 09:26 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,274,533 times
If there was a job that pays the equivalent of what Im earning here in California, with housing just as cheap and living expenses just as cheap, I would move back in a blink of an eye.

As it is, my job is specialized and the market is here in California, living expenses is much cheaper than Hawaii but the only thing that Hawaii has an up on cali is that they have lower taxes. Though, the cost of things are $1-$10 more in Hawaii because of shipping.

Old 05-30-2010, 09:46 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,622,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious View Post
Is there a reason you "patrol" the Hawaii forum now that you've moved away?

Are people who moved away afraid that some people who move to and live in Hawaii actually might be happy?

Just curious.

-V
Interesting you would ask that, and I did catch what you are hinting at with your sarcastic question. I started browsing this forum (not the Hawaii section) before I moved away from Hawaii looking at places to relocate to. I popped in once on the Hawaii section and noticed all of the folks posting on here about their plans to pick up and move to the islands (which is exactly what I did) and thought I could give some helpful advice and first hand experience. Then I just started getting caught up in the conversations and I check in from time to time to see what people are posting.

I just want folks to get both sides of the story. I hope that everyone who goes has a good experience, I definitely did, but I also knew a lot of people that got "stuck" working dead end jobs and wasting their life away so I want to make sure people have an exit plan and understand what they are getting into by moving to the middle of the ocean to a place with a completely different culture and high cost of living. Most of my posts about the islands are actually not negative, but they are not pie in the sky either. Maybe you are right though, seems like kind of a waste of time to get on here since everyone gets up in arms about anything that doesnt call Hawaii the greatest place on earth with the nicest people on earth and the best food on earth...

To be fair, I could ask the same question of you. Why do you patrol the forum if you already live there? Is your info any more valid that mine? 80% of the people that post on here are in their 20's, want to go bum around the beach for a few years and work some low-stress crappy hotel job. Which is exactly what I did for my first 3 years. So I thought I could be helpful. I apologize, I thought this was a forum for perspective transplants not a place to come and talk about how much you love living there... my bad.

Last edited by UHgrad; 05-30-2010 at 10:09 PM..

Old 05-30-2010, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokeanne View Post
to spread his negativity around. everything on his list of dislikes are obvious to us. that's part of life and we deal with it.
I take offense to that, I don't spread around negativity. I like to think that I tell the good with the bad. The dislikes ARE obvious to you because you live there, but they are not obvious to someone that is thinking about moving there... which is what this relocation forum is for.

Last edited by UHgrad; 05-30-2010 at 10:10 PM..

Old 05-30-2010, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by survivorqt View Post
^it looks like people like him need validation for their decision to move away
clearly that must be the case, because I get lots of validation from the "im so in love with hawaii" crowd on here. LOL Ironically, I would say the opposite is true. The people that are still living there and come have conversations with each other on here about how much they love it, how unique it is, and how much they fit in are the ones looking for validation. Just my 2cents though.

Last edited by UHgrad; 05-30-2010 at 10:14 PM..

Old 05-30-2010, 10:19 PM

24 posts, read 121,357 times
So it appears that it is mostly the economic reason for moving out of Hawaii?

I've been to the east (Baltimore, WashDC, NYC, KY, TN), West (CA), living in the Midwest half of my life (OK, TX), South (FL), and could not call any of those places to be my home. CA has the closest climate that I'd like, but the smog and the hustle and bustle of big city is not what I want to live.

HI cost of living certain is a drawback, but I think that for retirees with stable income, who want mild and steady climate, then HI is the place.

Old 05-30-2010, 10:54 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,591,143 times
Its a fine line between honesty and negativity !
I find myself in a very similar situation on a different city on this forum even today I was checking out that particular thread and it seems that after I posted some of what I consider honest comments I get no credit for dropping in and helping out someone to the point the regs there repeated what I said and reped each other and ignored me (Let me make this perfectly clear I do not post for rep points ever!) I have been accused of being negative I donʻt believe that I am and I donʻt believe that UHgrad is also. To get to my point ( long road huh ) is that when we decide or have it decided by other or by circumstances that we have to relocate you need to fall out of love/like from where you are at in your life and where you live and start to fall in love with where your going . I have done this and have seen others do it some go overboard some donʻt ( I would never go overboard).
That said it is also good to see the other side on this forum as others to balance out the opinions. I just take it all with a grain of salt and judge for myself.
I spent most of last week deciding on starting a new thread that could have had some negative posts in it but I decided not to . Not that I didnʻt want to see the negative I probably would have been the first negative post I just figured out the answer in my own time.

OK here I go again stepping off and walking away from my soapbox. . . . . .

Old 05-30-2010, 11:26 PM

32 posts, read 151,806 times
I love Hawaii for so many reasons....the best is that we have found true family here, more friends than we've ever had before - ex-mainlanders AND locals.
I would miss the beach, the weather...but mostly ever since I've arrived, I feel like living in Hawaii just isn't quite "real life", you just get lulled into an almost dream-like state.
In someways I've never been more at home, in someways I feel that it is still a bit like living in a foreign country. I still can't get used to potlucks and breakfasts that feature rice! ;-)
We will move back at some point. I hope we can split our time by purchasing a condo here.
I won't miss the cost of living!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii