Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 04:48 PM

3 posts, read 8,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtlessons View Post
Is there a reason you "patrol" the Hawaii forum now that you've moved away?
Are people who moved away afraid that some people who move to and live in Hawaii actually might be happy?
Just curious.
-V
It is really weird the amount of negative comments from people who are living on Oahu, or who have moved away and list all the things they love about the place but would never go back?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 05:01 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,677,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtlessons View Post
It is really weird the amount of negative comments from people who are living on Oahu, or who have moved away and list all the things they love about the place but would never go back?
Nothing that isn;t done in every other forum for every other state in every other city... It is really weird the amount of negative comments from people who are thinking of living in Hawaii but only want to hear the good without any bad as if to reinforce some rose colored glasses imaginary moving to hawaii belief they have in their mind.... Now is this really how you go about making intelligent decissions by ignoring anything that doesn;t fit in your neat little box?

Old 06-04-2012, 07:52 PM

46 posts, read 161,955 times
I think I will join those who love Hawaii but will move back to Mainland.

Reson is simple - money. I have great contract but it will end soon and It hard (read impossible) to find something similar (IT) here. Since I'm only one who work in our family we can't (more like don't want) to live on small salary just to be here. Our hearts will always be here but we'd rather come here to visit for two/three weeks and have decent salary in Mainland that have little salary that will be not enough even to cover basic monthly needs... Living in Paradise is very expensice but been on work all day you very often don't realise you live in one...

Old 04-12-2013, 06:19 PM

1 posts, read 899 times
Default 1 More Year & We're Outta Here

Aloha, my family has lived on the BI, in Kona, since 2009. We actually moved here to escape the recession in NV. Believe it or not it worked. We have a successful business that supports both my husband and I. Our AGI is higher than it ever was on the mainland, BUT all of that extra income is eaten up with the enormous cost of living. I do know that if I were to try and get a job it would be very diffiulct to find one that paid a decent wage and benefits. It seems that the high cost of living IS NOT supported by higher wages, I know many who have 2-3 jobs just to get by. We are lucky to have a nice place with modest rent but a upcoming move could see our rent rise to close to $2,000 for a 3bd just to keep our kids in the same schools (the best on the island, btw) Other complaints mirror others on the site. When we moved here, we had on the rose colored glasses and thought about how wonderful it would be, but the beach every weekend has gotten boring and with little else to do the kids are often restless. In NV, the Tahoe region, we could hike, bike, camp, etc. so there was a nice mixture of outdoors even if it was limited in the winter. I personally love the warm whether here but the family misses the seasons. We have not experienced the crime or discrimination that a lot of people from Oahu complain of so that is not a factor. The number one reason is the isolation from family and the rest of the mainland. After 4 full years I guess island fever has finally set in and we are sick of being stuck here. Airfares are never cheap when the kids are out of school so a trip back starts at well over a thousand just for four airline tickets. Both my husband's family and mine live in CA and we were used to big family events and we long for the closeness we left behind. Although people here are nice we have only made a few good friends and those actually moved off the island last year, so we actually found it harder to make good connections here in Kona. All in all we long for the mainland and if not for the high cost of moving back (household goods, cars, airfare, etc.) , we would go sooner. It has been an experience but those thinking of coming here should certainly understand that it has pros & cons and leaving could be prohibited by cost.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:30 PM

106 posts, read 230,118 times
great post. The rational ones who do post do stress the plusses and minusses of moving to hawaii and try to give their accounts and the accounts of people they may know. They also realize that everyb ody has a right to make decisions in their own lives that may not jibe with a decision we'd make for ourself.

there will never be a waning of people wanting to move to Hawaii and see if they can make it. they have every right to do so and who are we to stop them. Some will do well here and some will want to move back. Not abnormal at all. I moved here after 9/11 wanting to 'simplify my life' (which is a common theme and does not always work out as planned lol). I have at times considered moving back.Salaries can be lower. Career choices are slimmer, I even at times miss a nice big coat in the winter and sitting in a cafe. I miss a thriving city and theater and plays and being able to travel like I used to. i also find things I love about being here, the calmess I feel, the light, the flowers, walking down Bishop st in my aloha shirt or seeing the mountains in the backgrounnd. Also the people at times, although they can be too meek for my city slicker ways ha. I witnessed this man on a very uncrowded bus yesterday who rang the bell to get off on King & University, was too late in getting off and the driver did not notice him (was one of those double length busses here in Honolulu), then sped off down the road with the Stop requsted sign stuck, the poor man was too meek and humble to yell STOP! and did not get off until where the freeway heads towards Waialae! A good 4 stops later! I felt bad for him, but Ive witnessed it often with locals who dont want to direct attention to themselves.

I've taken chances in my life and have been proud to do so. If I wanted it enough, I either did it or got to the point where I had to do it. The things in my life I regret now are some of the things I think of that I wanted to do but did not. Sounds like you all followed what you wanted and the circumstances have changed. But in all reality, that aspect could happen anywhere, it's just intensified being so far away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii