Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2008, 10:17 AM

3 posts, read 23,709 times

Advertisements

Any suggestions on where to live or which middle school to teach in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 12:38 PM

307 posts, read 1,224,544 times
If you are a new teacher and want to teach Middle School in Hawaii, your salary will make your life hell. (high gas price, foods, and the list goes on especially apartment and houses). Good Luck

Old 03-06-2008, 12:57 PM

5,637 posts, read 6,529,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyfrix View Post
Any suggestions on where to live or which middle school to teach in?
What is your budget? Are you planning on buying or renting? Do you have a car? Do you mind traffic? Do you like city life or do you prefer a quiter location?

Old 03-07-2008, 05:58 PM

3 posts, read 23,709 times
Default teaching

I am a 5th year high school teacher transitioning to middle school. I teach special education and I am certified in science, social studies, special education, and reading. I would be on a school teacher budget.

I would want a friend that is willing to relocate with me or find a room mate to rent a place. I would have to figure out on whether or not to bring my motorcycle and/or my car.

I am actually being recruited to come and teach in Hawaii. I have been contacted for an interview. I am adamantly considering it but I want to research to see if it is a good idea.

I am a very laid back person so the city or a country setting is good for me as long as I am welcomed.

A place that is not totally against a mainlander will be good for me.

Old 03-11-2008, 12:32 PM

3 posts, read 14,693 times
My husband taught for 2 years on the big island. we loved it. Problems back on the mainland caused us to move back. we are now looking for property on the big island and plan on never leaving again. hubby is a special education teacher and absolutely loved teaching in Hawaii. The salary is lower and some things are more expensive, but you do not need much on the island. being laid back is the first thing you need. Aloha Time is what everything runs by. The hawaiian way of life is the best. As far as the DOE goes they can move you to any school or island if someone with more time wants your position. The best way to keep your position is to ask for hard to place areas. Housing is different as they use alot of single wall construction and most houses are basic but you hardly ever stay in side!! Living outside of walls is the way! hope this helps

Old 06-20-2008, 12:40 PM

1 posts, read 5,511 times
I am about to begin my first year of teaching (assuming I can find a job, that is). Oahu has requested a phone interview with me, but like you, I am a little concerned about how welcomed I would be as a mainlander. I know that I could handle it, however, I would be bringing my middle aged son with me and I do worry about how he would adjust to such a change...and how welcomed he would be. If you have collected information or even already gone through the process of relocating, I would appreciate any and all information you have to share.

Thanks so much!
-J

Old 06-20-2008, 03:01 PM

20 posts, read 96,310 times
In general, how do the private schools pay compared to public schools on the islands?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii