Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 02:07 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassyknoll View Post
Most of the rural areas have volunteer FD, so that really isn't much of an issue. And poor areas could technically have volunteer or PT/low paid positions.
Even if you managed to have a 24 hour volunteer FD/PD complete with low paid dispatchers, etc - you still need to buy and maintain the equipment, have training, etc....

Old 05-11-2019, 09:46 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,554,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Little Cost?

Let's see - you would need to go thru the effort of changing the State Constitution, since there are no provisions for incorporation. No small cost - likely cost prohibitive right off the bat. And as a reminder, Honolulu the City has no government of its own or special services - it is all provided and governed by the County of Honolulu.

Let's see - other costs, You want your own police department - you need to fund that. Fire - you've got to fund that. Run your own grid - fund it. As mentioned previously, public schools are run by the state, so no go on that. Want a public works department - need to fund it. Pay the people in your newly formed government, gotta fund it. Who pays for all that funding - the people in your newly formed "City".
Sorry you feel you can't measure up, and opt, instead, for prolonged backwardness. Sad, but not unexpected.

Old 05-12-2019, 12:11 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,666,240 times
SIGH.

You propose something totally unsupported by real life facts, then get upset when people ask you to support your argument or disagree with you. Where are your real life examples, as these would work in Hawaii? You didn't like the real life example I tried to give, so what do you have?

AGAIN, give a specific example as to what service a city such as Hilo could provide that they are not getting now. For example, in case you need guidance, maybe it has to do with crime. Are you saying that currently the crime rate is ___ (provide a number) because the County only allocates ____ (provide a number) of police officers. If Hilo were incorporated, they would get more money of their own through _____ (provide a realistic means of getting income) and then could provide more police officers. And given the many, many ways that money has to be allocated, would there really be enough to provide xxx number of police officers, or would that money also have to go to providing water, manage wastewater, maintain roads, provide a building department to review permits and conduct inspections, have a public health department, etc. etc.

It takes money to set up and run a city. Is there really enough property taxes or sales tax in Hilo or Puna that would support a city government and all the services that they would have to provide? Can you answer these questions?

Old 05-12-2019, 04:48 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,163,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Even if you managed to have a 24 hour volunteer FD/PD complete with low paid dispatchers, etc - you still need to buy and maintain the equipment, have training, etc....
Well, our volunteer FD's aren't running around with buckets of water but seem to be driving functional trucks. So I think we have that covered, but thanks for the input.

Old 05-12-2019, 09:20 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassyknoll View Post
Well, our volunteer FD's aren't running around with buckets of water but seem to be driving functional trucks. So I think we have that covered, but thanks for the input.
Funded by the County. Want your own “City” FD/PD - nope. You got to pay up. You just don’t get to keep the County equipment.

Old 05-13-2019, 01:05 PM

108 posts, read 81,200 times
Wow, a republican wanting MORE government. Now I've seen it all. I don't know about "incorporating more cities"but Hawaii's main need is tighter pollution and runoff regulations and a restructure of their sewage system. Protect the Oceans from runoff, waste, and pollution, and keep the land clean (Oahu has waaay too many areas full of trash). But honestly, these problems are the worst on Oahu....

Old 05-13-2019, 01:07 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,666,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankTellYouWhat View Post
Wow, a republican wanting MORE government.

Old 05-18-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Independent, NOT a Republican.

Small, local, responsive government is good.

Bloated, overly-powerful, oppressive, centralized government not so good.

Old 05-18-2019, 10:41 AM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
Sorry you feel you can't measure up, and opt, instead, for prolonged backwardness. Sad, but not unexpected.
Your expecting other people to solve a problem that only YOU have.

Some very valid points have been brought up on the "against" side, and I have seen none on the "pro" side.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-18-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
SIGH.

You propose something totally unsupported by real life facts, then get upset when people ask you to support your argument or disagree with you. Where are your real life examples, as these would work in Hawaii? You didn't like the real life example I tried to give, so what do you have?

AGAIN, give a specific example as to what service a city such as Hilo could provide that they are not getting now. For example, in case you need guidance, maybe it has to do with crime. Are you saying that currently the crime rate is ___ (provide a number) because the County only allocates ____ (provide a number) of police officers. If Hilo were incorporated, they would get more money of their own through _____ (provide a realistic means of getting income) and then could provide more police officers. And given the many, many ways that money has to be allocated, would there really be enough to provide xxx number of police officers, or would that money also have to go to providing water, manage wastewater, maintain roads, provide a building department to review permits and conduct inspections, have a public health department, etc. etc.

It takes money to set up and run a city. Is there really enough property taxes or sales tax in Hilo or Puna that would support a city government and all the services that they would have to provide? Can you answer these questions?
I have to say, you are utterly confused. My proposal was ONLY (and please pay attention) to ALLOW the residents of HI to create cities when, where and IF they see fit. Spoon feeding you on the benefits of incorporating is beyond the scope of my proposal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii