Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 05:38 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,553,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Rail. And Rail. And then of course, there is rail.
You prove my point (I think). If Honolulu was a bonafide Incorporated City, it would have definite city limits that would not include other communities/cities, and its ability to tax would not extend beyond those limits and into those other cities.

Am I missing something?

Old 05-29-2019, 08:20 AM

10,552 posts, read 7,747,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
You prove my point (I think). If Honolulu was a bonafide Incorporated City, it would have definite city limits that would not include other communities/cities, and its ability to tax would not extend beyond those limits and into those other cities.

Am I missing something?
In Alaska you can have an incorporated city within a borough that includes more than one city. So in this case it doesn't prevent or limit ability to tax beyond city limits.

As Hotcatz says, if it ain't broke don't fix it. You and me are looking at this from a distance, you more so than me. I don't see the problems you are imagining.

Old 05-30-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
In Alaska you can have an incorporated city within a borough that includes more than one city. So in this case it doesn't prevent or limit ability to tax beyond city limits.

As Hotcatz says, if it ain't broke don't fix it. You and me are looking at this from a distance, you more so than me. I don't see the problems you are imagining.
I seriously doubt if one City government can tax residents of a different city. Maybe the borough can tax all cities, but a City is an independent entity.

I am not really looking at it from a distance having spend considerable time there as a resident, boots-on-ground.

This is not a complex issue, I am not aware of any state that denies it citizens the ability to create formalized cities, either by incorporation or charter or other parallel means. Anyone who knows anything about government will tell you that such a vehicle provides localized, focused services far beyond that provided by the county (or Parish if you live in Louisiana).

As far as not fixing it if it isn't broken, that is nothing but a worn-out, tired platitude that really says nothing. It certainly isn't any sort of responsive reply. A verbal shrug, perhaps, but nothing meaningful.

Cities exist because they WORK. Sure, unincorporated areas exist, but if you want things to IMPROVE in a population center (such as Hilo or KK or Lahaina etc., chances are it won't happen or happen nearly as well, absent a functioning local government, aka a "city" and the service provided thereby. If you want to attract investment and progress in an unincorporated area, not likely to happen.

However, it seems to be the consensus amongst those on this forum that they feel that the residents of the State of Hawaii should continue to be denied the right to create cities, and, further, be denied the multitudinous benefits provided thereby.

It is fine with me, either way.

Old 05-30-2019, 11:50 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,571,252 times
Quote:
I am not really looking at it from a distance having spend considerable time there as a resident, boots-on-ground.
Don't you mean 'rubbah slippahs'.

Old 05-30-2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
Don't you mean 'rubbah slippahs'.
I stand corrected!!

Old 06-04-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post

I would like to expand on the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" over-simplistic platitude by way of an analogy.

Imagine you have a high-mile/hours engine that still runs, but it tired, down on power, up on fuel consumption etc.,

Yes, it still runs, and does so smoothly, so it isn't broken.

However, a new set of modern spark plugs, properly gapped, along with new ignition cables, would go a long way to restoring proper ignition to a better-than-new state.

And the fuel injectors sure could use a cleaning to in increase fuel atomization/vaporization.

A valve lapping would help bring back better compression, and a replacement timing belt, and, perhaps a new set of camshafts, perhaps with better profiles, would restore proper valve function and engine breathing.

And don't forget, 3 firmware upgrades to the computer which controls engine operation, have been released by the manufacturer, and could be installed to improve low-end torque, as well as fuel-efficiency and top-end power.

True, it was broken, but some improvements would end up with a better-than-new engine - a new and improved engine with better power, drive ability AND efficiency.

And now you know the error of applying simplistic thinking to complex issues.

Old 06-04-2019, 11:46 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,571,252 times
Quote:
And now you know the error of applying simplistic thinking to complex issues.
So, we're in error, we're simplistic, we can't handle complex issues........ go ahead, don't sugar coat it, tell us what you REALLY think!

We'd be lost without you, oh teller of the truth

Old 06-04-2019, 12:37 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,901,605 times
Quote:
I would like to expand on the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" over-simplistic platitude by way of an analogy.
Comparing towns with cars and computers with an analogy is among the worst examples you can come up. Machines by their very nature have planned obsolescence and degrade over time.

Now, if you provided a specific example of a place, lets say the size of Hilo - that was a town and became a city, with a case study of the benefits, that might make thing more interesting, but probably not.....

Old 06-04-2019, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
So, we're in error, we're simplistic, we can't handle complex issues........ go ahead, don't sugar coat it, tell us what you REALLY think!

We'd be lost without you, oh teller of the truth
If you read my post, I was referring to the "if it isn't broke, don't fix it" platitude, and NOTHING beyond that. My point is that complex matters can't be dispensed with by the use of simple sayings. Now if a wrench breaks, well it is broken, but something operating at less-than-optimal (or worse) level of proficiency isn't "broken", per se, but it is eligible for improvement.

If you want my honest impression about the average Hawaiian, I'll pass on that!!! However, I think you'll agree lots of things are done in ways that leave a lot to be desired, a LOT!!! Take for example, your stellar education system, or fully response, non-corrupt state and local government.

Old 06-04-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Comparing towns with cars and computers with an analogy is among the worst examples you can come up. Machines by their very nature have planned obsolescence and degrade over time.

Now, if you provided a specific example of a place, lets say the size of Hilo - that was a town and became a city, with a case study of the benefits, that might make thing more interesting, but probably not.....
Okie Dokie. Well I've had my say. So be it.

Anybody got an opinion of the Finnish Nauticat line of motor-sailers? 48' to 55'? Full or fin-keel? Need a well-found passagemaker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii