Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 04:32 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,163,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I don't think it is so much that incorporation isn't a good idea, under different circumstances, it just wouldn't work well with how Hawaii government is set-up.
This, more than anything.

Old 05-24-2019, 07:02 AM

4,336 posts, read 1,554,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I don't think it is so much that incorporation isn't a good idea, under different circumstances, it just wouldn't work well with how Hawaii government is set-up.
Perhaps that is a bigger underlying problem that just the issue I have presented.

Old 05-24-2019, 03:58 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,571,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
Perhaps that is a bigger underlying problem that just the issue I have presented.
You just don't seem to get it. No one on this forum gives a kukae about incorporating. Sell it on the mainland.

Old 05-24-2019, 11:21 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
Switch in topics, JJ, from incorporating cities to the general set up of Hawaii government.

Is Alaska similar with a hodge podge sort of government as well?

Old 05-28-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
You just don't seem to get it. No one on this forum gives a kukae about incorporating. Sell it on the mainland.
That's part of the whole "backwards" thing. I'll continue to "sell" it, your infantile protestestations notwithstanding.

Don't you understand, YOU have been DENIED this fundamental building-block for prosperity through local-control of the affairs of the people. You are at the mercy of the county with no other recourse other the even-less-responsive State.

It is sad, but not at all unexepected, that you guys don't care about such an important issue, about such an important construct that has been denied you. And you seem proud not to care about it. Sad, so very sad. There is more to life than "laid-back".

Old 05-28-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Switch in topics, JJ, from incorporating cities to the general set up of Hawaii government.

Is Alaska similar with a hodge podge sort of government as well?
From what I've seen, both as a Resident and Non-resident, it's time for a do-over, as the current situation, is so out-dated and ill-prepared for prosperity.

Old 05-28-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
You just don't seem to get it. The mainland, and indeed most of the developed world already has incorporated (or equivalent) cities that have the power and authority to get things done for the betterment of the community. It seems to me that the concept of "betterment of the community, AND the lives of the people therein, isn't high on the radar over there.

Last edited by Open-D; 05-28-2019 at 11:31 AM..

Old 05-28-2019, 12:18 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
A lot of the 'betterment of community' is done on a local level without getting government involved. There's also a lot of community working with the County on various projects.In our little town, weekly community meals have been started completely without getting the government involved. The town swimming pool was painted by the community, it had the permission of the County, but the community did the work. Folks are repairing gravestones and cleaning the graveyards, all volunteer work. If something needs to be done, generally someone does it. Another layer of government isn't necessary. There's enough rules and regulations, we don't need any more.

Other than making more parking in town and perhaps putting in a public restroom, I'm not sure what we would want the County to do for our town. If we cared enough, we'd go dig up our representative and have her work on it. Currently, we have them working on building a sidewalk between the park and main street.

I don't want another layer of government. I don't want my taxes to go up to pay for it, since every time there's more government, there's more taxes. We have 2,500 residents of our little town. I don't think that's enough people to pay for a mayor, fire chief, fire trucks, ambulances, street repairs, etc., etc.

Why should we agitate to make an incorporated town legal in this state if we're not going to use it? FWIW, I think if it were wanted then it would be put in place.

IMHO, you're also going up against the knee jerk reaction of folks not accepting advice from newbies and folks who don't live here. We're generally pretty happy here, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Old 05-28-2019, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
A lot of the 'betterment of community' is done on a local level without getting government involved. There's also a lot of community working with the County on various projects.In our little town, weekly community meals have been started completely without getting the government involved. The town swimming pool was painted by the community, it had the permission of the County, but the community did the work. Folks are repairing gravestones and cleaning the graveyards, all volunteer work. If something needs to be done, generally someone does it. Another layer of government isn't necessary. There's enough rules and regulations, we don't need any more.

Other than making more parking in town and perhaps putting in a public restroom, I'm not sure what we would want the County to do for our town. If we cared enough, we'd go dig up our representative and have her work on it. Currently, we have them working on building a sidewalk between the park and main street.

I don't want another layer of government. I don't want my taxes to go up to pay for it, since every time there's more government, there's more taxes. We have 2,500 residents of our little town. I don't think that's enough people to pay for a mayor, fire chief, fire trucks, ambulances, street repairs, etc., etc.

Why should we agitate to make an incorporated town legal in this state if we're not going to use it? FWIW, I think if it were wanted then it would be put in place.

IMHO, you're also going up against the knee jerk reaction of folks not accepting advice from newbies and folks who don't live here. We're generally pretty happy here, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Whatever the county does for you, your city, a bona-fide going concern of a city, would do more, much more, and with a highly-focused local interest at heart and in mind. You can't see the difference because you've never seen the difference, but believe me, it is HUGE. Most of the funding would come from taxes already assessed such as property and GET. The overall level of taxation wouldn't increase much.

I don't know what the break-even point as far as a population goes for incorporation. 2,500 might be too low, but Hilo, KK, Lahaina etc., definitely would be great candidates.

There are reasons that the rest of the world has adopted this construct, to their betterment, perhaps you should get on board with that progress-enabler, too. You have been denied, and the government remains more-centralized, rather than local, AT YOUR EXPENSE!!! Does the county care about your streets, beyond a county road? Street lights, traffic control.

Anyway, I've laid out the case. I have no vested interest in the matter at this point in time. We have to decide that after we make the passages from CA to HI, and then HI to Tahiti, and then back, whether we'll stay in HI or go back to CA. It will be 2 years on the water to think things over.

Fair winds and following seas

Old 05-28-2019, 04:14 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Rail. And Rail. And then of course, there is rail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii