Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2020, 06:20 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,317,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
And not to be offending in response (truly) ... I recall suggesting way back that you might have a hard time fitting in to the state. My comment then wasn’t meant to be snarky, nor am I being now. I furthermore genuinely offer my sympathy for your frustrations. It isn’t differences of political ideology I refer to either in this case.

Did you ever see the Jack Nicholson movie “Chinatown” made back in the 70’s? Famous line became a timeless meme: “Forget it Jake, it’s Chinatown.”

Well: ‘forget it officer, it’s Hawaii’ ...

LOTS of people move ... then unmove ... because it’s Hawaii. Paradise and all.

Hope something turns around. Best wishes to you and the Misses ... really. Georgia has some nice spots I hear. I have a cousin moved there about 20+ years back and loves it (from Detroit ... so yeah, easy to like Georgia )
It has nothing to do with not fitting in and not sure how you could make that assumption now or even way back then. You know nothing about us other than through this forum. You crack me up. I work in a box store here and I fit in very well with the people I work with.

We don’t really know why she wasn’t hired. She wasn’t given a personality questionnaire. It could be that they feel a mainlander won’t fit in well teaching on the BI from their experience of hiring mainlanders. If that is the case, not really sure why they send administrators to the mainland to hold recruitment conventions. It could be they didn’t hire anyone could be they found more qualified candidates.

That’s not the reason why we would move, because it’s Hawaii. It could be anywhere in the nation. We moved from Pennsylvania because there was no teaching positions there. Life happens. We don’t want to leave. This was suppose to be our new home. This is where we wanted to set new roots. It didn’t pan out like it didn’t pan out in Pa. you have to go where the work is.

Anyway, thank you for the remainder of your post. Very thoughtful. Our preference was Northern Georgia by or in the mountains over Florida. The pay is a lot better and decent pay increments every year. She would be getting $58,000. That’s pretty good and the cost of living is low. It’s outside Atlanta, just south of the foothill of the Appalachian mountains. Lot of good lakes and hiking trails. Not far from Destin Beach Florida, Disney, the Smokey Mountains, Nashville, Asheville NC. 10 hour drive to Miami. 13 hour drive to the Keys. Atlanta Airport is also the major hub of the US. Georgia is not a bad trade off. Not completely out of the winter, but nothing frigid like Detroit. I’ll take 3 months of a mild winter over 6-7 months of winter.

Old 10-05-2020, 06:24 PM

451 posts, read 412,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
And not to be offending in response (truly) ... I recall suggesting way back that you might have a hard time fitting in to the state. My comment then wasn’t meant to be snarky, nor am I being now. I furthermore genuinely offer my sympathy for your frustrations. It isn’t differences of political ideology I refer to either in this case.

Did you ever see the Jack Nicholson movie “Chinatown” made back in the 70’s? Famous line became a timeless meme: “Forget it Jake, it’s Chinatown.”

Well: ‘forget it officer, it’s Hawaii’ ...

LOTS of people move ... then unmove ... because it’s Hawaii. Paradise and all.

Hope something turns around. Best wishes to you and the Misses ... really. Georgia has some nice spots I hear. I have a cousin moved there about 20+ years back and loves it (from Detroit ... so yeah, easy to like Georgia )

Telemutt,

Interesting comment re the line in 'Chinatown'. Whenever I travel on the mainland, it is initially with a feeling of discomfort. It's a bit silly, as I have a number of childhood, university and a few former military friends who I have always stayed in contact with and continue to visit (or at least, used to prior to CV19), however there is a sense of otherness that takes a while for me to shake off. Perhaps it is a bit like being at sea for several weeks, and returning to a port. It takes a while to lose your sea legs.

Old 10-05-2020, 06:30 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,317,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
If her job and being employed is an important factor (as it likely should be), then I’d say move back to the mainland. I don’t know your ages or financial situation. But I believe the opportunities are greater on the mainland not only for employment but also to build a solid retirement portfolio and grow your wealth in many different ways. But each person sees things differently.
I have a monthly pension from the NYPD. I also work full time at a box store. Easy job. My wife is 41 and I’m 45. We just wanted a simple slower laid back life.

Old 10-05-2020, 11:45 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,560,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
For the lets not reopen crowd....

Survey: 9,000 households in Hawaii are 2 months behind in rent or more

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/1...-rent-or-more/
Full survey data below, pretty eye opening.

https://uhero.hawaii.edu/the-august-...ing-vacancies/

Reminds me of this honolulu board of realtors survey of landlords. People villainize the evil landlords, since they're an easy target. Never mind the fact that they have their own expenses to pay and it's a primary source of income for many retirees and others. The fact that so many landlords are waiving or lower rent, and the tenants are still having so much difficulty just shows how alarming hawaii's economic woes are.

-------------------------
A survey by the Honolulu Board of Realtors found that nearly 40% of its members who manage rental properties reported tenants were unable to pay rent in June because of the Covid-19 pandemic, while more than 40% said they had tenants who asked for a payment plan or for a discount or rent reduction.

When asked about the units’ owners, the property managers said 53% of landlords agreed to lower rents for tenants, while 45% agreed to waive or discount rent and 62% agreed to defer rent or put tenants on a payment plan.

https://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/...rent-june.html

Last edited by rya96797; 10-05-2020 at 11:55 PM..

Old 10-05-2020, 11:59 PM

451 posts, read 412,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rya96797 View Post
Reminds me of this honolulu board of realtors survey of landlords. People villainize the evil landlords, since they're an easy target. Never mind the fact that they have their own expenses to pay and it's a primary source of income for many retirees and others. The fact that so many landlords are waiving or lower rent, and the tenants are still having so much difficulty just shows how alarming hawaii's economic woes are.

-------------------------
A survey by the Honolulu Board of Realtors found that nearly 40% of its members who manage rental properties reported tenants were unable to pay rent in June because of the Covid-19 pandemic, while more than 40% said they had tenants who asked for a payment plan or for a discount or rent reduction.

When asked about the units’ owners, the property managers said 53% of landlords agreed to lower rents for tenants, while 45% agreed to waive or discount rent and 62% agreed to defer rent or put tenants on a payment plan.

https://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/...rent-june.html

And as an adjunct, how is the market for SFH and condo's doing on Oahu? I certainly haven't seen a downturn in the multifamily property market pricing. The cost of money is cheaper than I can recently
recall.

Old 10-06-2020, 10:00 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,923,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Monkey View Post
And as an adjunct, how is the market for SFH and condo's doing on Oahu? I certainly haven't seen a downturn in the multifamily property market pricing. The cost of money is cheaper than I can recently
recall.
SFH's on Oahu at the moment are breaking all sorts of records - in my opinion, due to very little inventory.

I've done several refi's recently, and every appraisal is coming way over what I thought it should come in at - and I'm seeing what I consider smallish almost dumpish places on the market getting absurd prices.

I could be wrong - would like to be wrong - once the rent moratorium lifts - foreclosures start - panic selling starts - it will all collapse. It is one of the main reasons I'm taking cash out from my properties as I will go on a buying spree if it does collapse - I would not buy at the current prices.

Old 10-06-2020, 10:54 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,836,988 times
October 6th,

There is still no movement towards lifting the quarantine for interisland flights.

Gov. Ige shot down the request by mayors for a second test 72 hours after arrival with a quarantine until that point.

https://beatofhawaii.com/breaking-ha...e-governor-ige

Meanwhile I'm seeing more newly-arrived tourists in Maui. The large condo/vacation club properties in Kaanapali have people in the swimming pools and out walking around.

Perhaps they quarantined on Oahu, but I really doubt it.

Old 10-06-2020, 11:34 AM

Big Island opts out of Pre-Travel Program - you must quarantine for 14 days regardless of test. in my opinion an extremely bad decision

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/1...sting-program/

Mainland visitors arriving on Hawaii Island will not be able to participate in the state’s pre-travel testing program when it launches on October 15 and will have to continue to quarantine for 14 days, according to the Honolulu Star-Advertiser.

Gov. David Ige reportedly gave each county a chance to opt out of the state’s travel plans on Monday. Hawaii County is believed to have been the only one to do so.

Old 10-06-2020, 11:53 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,836,988 times
A new neighbor in my building moved here from Oregon about a month ago. He landed in Oahu and was forced to stay 14 days in a quarantine-specific hotel there before he could travel onward to Maui. He said it cost him $3,000. (Probably includes the condo he prepaid here that sat empty while he was in Oahu.)

He stated that if he had already owned a property on Maui, he would have been permitted to travel here to quarantine in his own home.

I keep wondering how all of these obvious mainlanders are suddenly here and not quarantining? I assume they are just ignoring the rules? Does a timeshare qualify as "owning a home" in Hawaii?

Old 10-06-2020, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
A new neighbor in my building moved here from Oregon about a month ago. He landed in Oahu and was forced to stay 14 days in a quarantine-specific hotel there before he could travel onward to Maui. He said it cost him $3,000. (Probably includes the condo he prepaid here that sat empty while he was in Oahu.)

He stated that if he had already owned a property on Maui, he would have been permitted to travel here to quarantine in his own home.

I keep wondering how all of these obvious mainlanders are suddenly here and not quarantining? I assume they are just ignoring the rules? Does a timeshare qualify as "owning a home" in Hawaii?
The only way the neighbor would not have been allowed onward travel to Maui is if the neighbor had a stopover. Connections via HNL are allowed to Maui - but it has to be a connection not a stopover.

Yes, many people are not following the rules
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii