Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2020, 10:10 AM

10,561 posts, read 7,763,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
There is no proof the lockdown mitigated the cases. What we do know is all the models were way off. Astronomically off! Their models projected millions of deaths with a death rates between 1-4%. It looks like the deaths in the US won’t break 60,000..

I think the projections for that many deaths were with no measures being taken at all.

Unfortunately the "cat was out of the bag" long before lock downs were put in place so they didn't stop wide spread infections and deaths. Locations such as Hawaii, Wyoming and Alaska have greatly benefited from their isolation and relatively low level of travel.

Actually, I would have expected Hawaii to see more illness due to high levels of winter tourism. Perhaps there have been more, they've just been asymptomatic and not reported. For the most part the cases seen in these 3 states has been mild, with few hospitalizations. Air pollution has been shown to exacerbate the disease.

Your figure for US death count looks to me like best case scenario given outbreak really drops off this summer. Sure hope it's correct but I wouldn't bet on it. Some experts still estimate we will see close to a million deaths in the next 12-18 months.

Old 04-22-2020, 10:40 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,559,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I'll raise my hand on not happy. Not sure if it makes a difference. Probably not.
at the least they should open the golf courses as well as the parks. If they want to be extra paranoid about the virus, limit to 1 person per cart and sanitize between uses.

Oh the kokohead gun range as well. Their current rules already encourage distancing from other shooters on the line. Again, if paranoid, they can space every other bench.

Old 04-23-2020, 07:09 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
Apparently having not learned from the interview the Mayor of Las Vegas had -

Mayor Caldwell criticized for suggesting Kauai could be a ‘test case’ for restarting tourism

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/...rting-tourism/

Honolulu Mayor Kirk Caldwell is being sharply criticized today for suggesting in a televised interview Wednesday evening that Kauai or “some neighbor island” might be the best place to test out the re-launch of the state’s tourism industry as the risk of COVID-19 recedes.

“I want to be clear to Mayor Caldwell. Kauai does not appreciate being identified as a potential test case to go bring in the tourists so you can make better decisions on Oahu,” Kouchi said in an online interview this morning as part of the Honolulu Star-Advertiser’s “COVID-19 Care Conversation” on Facebook with Yunji de Nies and Ryan Kalei Tsuji.

Old 04-23-2020, 08:27 PM

30,640 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Apparently having not learned from the interview the Mayor of Las Vegas had -

Mayor Caldwell criticized for suggesting Kauai could be a ‘test case’ for restarting tourism

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/...rting-tourism/

Honolulu Mayor Kirk Caldwell is being sharply criticized today for suggesting in a televised interview Wednesday evening that Kauai or “some neighbor island” might be the best place to test out the re-launch of the state’s tourism industry as the risk of COVID-19 recedes.

“I want to be clear to Mayor Caldwell. Kauai does not appreciate being identified as a potential test case to go bring in the tourists so you can make better decisions on Oahu,” Kouchi said in an online interview this morning as part of the Honolulu Star-Advertiser’s “COVID-19 Care Conversation” on Facebook with Yunji de Nies and Ryan Kalei Tsuji.
Hey, at least the Las Vegas Mayor was willing to put her own city up as tribute

Old 04-23-2020, 11:11 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,559,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Hey, at least the Las Vegas Mayor was willing to put her own city up as tribute
yeah, idk what kirky boy is doing. These guys are drunk on power. Takes some gall volunteering up another county as an experiment. lol

Old 04-24-2020, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rya96797 View Post
yeah, idk what kirky boy is doing. These guys are drunk on power. Takes some gall volunteering up another county as an experiment. lol
I suspect he is working 14+ hour days. So not thinking right. Still - not a good suggestion

Old 04-24-2020, 08:41 AM

21,741 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
There is no proof the lockdown mitigated the cases. What we do know is all the models were way off. Astronomically off! Their models projected millions of deaths with a death rates between 1-4%. It looks like the deaths in the US won’t break 60,000.

There is a major difference in the death rate from .1% to 1%. Covid-19 death rate we are learning is not 3.4% or even 1%. It’s looking to be more around .1%=1/1000 rather than 1/100=1%. Major difference. The death rate matters.

The media is not obligated to report the news. That’s why they are no longer freedom of the press. The media is no longer the press when they have a strong bias toward a political group.

For instance, the first 100 days of President Trump’s presidency the media reports was approximately 90-97% negative except for Fox News. The negative coverage on Trump was 52%. Obama’s first 100 days in office the reports of his presidency was 4 out of 10 stories positive in tone where President Bush was 22% and Clinton 27%. There is an extreme bias in the media and they have not been kind to President Trump. You can attempt to chalk it up as Trump brings that upon himself, but that is quite a stretch. Where is the media in regards to a very credible sexual assault accusation against Biden? No where to be found, but the press was all over the allegations against Kavanaugh. You call it legitimate reporting, I call it lack of reporting when it doesn’t fit their narrative and agenda. I don’t ever recall the press barking at Obama every time he held a press conference as they do with Trump. Every time there are a couple correspondents barking at Trump. They never treated Obama with such disrespect. Their bias dates way back. For instance, the NYT’s buried the Holocaust. Only 26 times throughout the entire Holocaust did a story make the front page of the NYT’s. Rest of the stories were buried.

Mark Levin says it the best how present day news rooms and journalists destroyed the freedom of the press through “social activism, progressive groupthink, Democrat Party partisanship, opinion and propaganda passed off as news, the staging of pseudo events, self censorship, bias by omission, and outright falsehoods are too often substituting for old fashioned, objective fact gathering and news reporting.” It’s because of this the credibility of mass media has never been lower.

When having a conversation in regards to the beginning and nature of man, the Bible is quite relevant whether you believe or not. Because you don’t believe doesn’t make that reality go away. After all the Bible is the real true story of mankind through God’s perspective, who God is, and how we are shaped as a people of God.
There is no way the lockdowns could have done anything less than mitigate spread. The spread is a function of interpersonal contact. Reduce contact: reduce infection rate.

The models you refer to were projections based on no shutdowns. And you have no idea what the death count is or will be. The US is already over 50,000. There is no chance the toll will be under 60,000. Zero.

As I wrote before: the death rate only matters in relation to the total number of infections. I gave examples. 5th grade arithmetic is your friend. It is a very simple calculation.

The “press” is quite free - to do as it pleases, including relentless coverage of the extraordinary, unprecedented insults, assaults on the constitution, disregard for the law, disregard for national and international relations and environment, issued by this total sick joke of a POTUS - who has just suggested we should consider ingesting or even injecting toxic cleaning chemicals into our lungs to stop COVID19.

The fact that the majority of the coverage is negative is a function of POTUS’ public and revealed private behaviors. He loves it - ALL. He has admitted so many times over the years. ‘Any coverage is good coverage’ is his philosophy. He creates negative coverage relentlessly on purpose. Controversy is his modus operandi. So if you have a problem with negative coverage of him, talk to him about his relentlessly infantile behavior.

Funny how you said you wouldn’t address politics. . But you now reveal my earlier observation of you: ideologically driven mindset. Btw: you strike me as having a full inventory of brain cells, and as a person of very good intentions. The fly in your ointment is the same as with the majority of people: ideological blinders. This is pretty much always a function of either fear or desires, or both. I won’t speculate which in your case.

As for your allegiance to biblical explanations: 1. I didn’t address the origin of homo sapiens. 2. I did address the nature of our species. And anyone who is interested should consult the science of anthropology - not the metaphorical fiction of the bible. It is simply irrational to believe we mere grossly imperfect, mortal beings have the capacity to understand the nature of the ultimate power of the infinite. It is frankly insulting to that power to try and define it - especially in such contrived detail as religions insist. I fully understand - and feel - the awe of acknowledging our place in the face of infinite wonder that cannot be cognitively grasped by such limited consciousness as we have. And consider it beautifully undefinable.

Old 04-24-2020, 11:08 AM

2,378 posts, read 1,315,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
There is no way the lockdowns could have done anything less than mitigate spread. The spread is a function of interpersonal contact. Reduce contact: reduce infection rate.

The models you refer to were projections based on no shutdowns. And you have no idea what the death count is or will be. The US is already over 50,000. There is no chance the toll will be under 60,000. Zero.

As I wrote before: the death rate only matters in relation to the total number of infections. I gave examples. 5th grade arithmetic is your friend. It is a very simple calculation.

The “press” is quite free - to do as it pleases, including relentless coverage of the extraordinary, unprecedented insults, assaults on the constitution, disregard for the law, disregard for national and international relations and environment, issued by this total sick joke of a POTUS - who has just suggested we should consider ingesting or even injecting toxic cleaning chemicals into our lungs to stop COVID19.

The fact that the majority of the coverage is negative is a function of POTUS’ public and revealed private behaviors. He loves it - ALL. He has admitted so many times over the years. ‘Any coverage is good coverage’ is his philosophy. He creates negative coverage relentlessly on purpose. Controversy is his modus operandi. So if you have a problem with negative coverage of him, talk to him about his relentlessly infantile behavior.

Funny how you said you wouldn’t address politics. . But you now reveal my earlier observation of you: ideologically driven mindset. Btw: you strike me as having a full inventory of brain cells, and as a person of very good intentions. The fly in your ointment is the same as with the majority of people: ideological blinders. This is pretty much always a function of either fear or desires, or both. I won’t speculate which in your case.

As for your allegiance to biblical explanations: 1. I didn’t address the origin of homo sapiens. 2. I did address the nature of our species. And anyone who is interested should consult the science of anthropology - not the metaphorical fiction of the bible. It is simply irrational to believe we mere grossly imperfect, mortal beings have the capacity to understand the nature of the ultimate power of the infinite. It is frankly insulting to that power to try and define it - especially in such contrived detail as religions insist. I fully understand - and feel - the awe of acknowledging our place in the face of infinite wonder that cannot be cognitively grasped by such limited consciousness as we have. And consider it beautifully undefinable.
Reducing contact just flattens the curve resulting in the duration of the virus over a longer period of time. It’s not like the virus is just going to disappear.

The models were not based on no shutdowns? Where did you get that information from. The models were based on the death rate being 3.4%. Its basic math. If the death rate is .1% millions of people are not going to die from this virus.

Yes, the death rate is in relation to the amount of infections and millions of people have been infected by Covid-19. I was quite clear about that. That is what by the death rate is not 3.4% percent which would have resulted in the death of millions, compared to .1% percent which results in deaths closer to the seasonal flu. Lockdowns or not, the death rate will not change. Basic math is your friend.

You then do not understand the concept of freedom of the press. The press is not free when they are social activists. Geez! That is no longer the press, but rather opinion. I’m fine with so called news being bias, but then don’t pretend to be news. You’re opinion. Opinion is not news. Opinion is not the press. The press reports the news, all of the news. Not only news that fits their narrative and omit news that doesn’t fit their narrative. Wake up!!!

I watched President Trump’s presser yesterday and he did not say anything remotely close to injecting cleaner into your body. Who told you that, The View and CNN? Only a person who suffers from a severe case of TDS would be able to warp what President Trump said I to that. Yikes. That is exactly what I mean in regards to there is no longer a freedom of the press. They tell me oh exactly what to believe and like drones, people believe it. Ever hear of project mockingbird?

I wasn’t really addressing politics, but rather giving examples of the bias in the media. Politics is a great way of showing the bias. Also, my political views are not ideologically driven, but rather philosophically driven. Big difference.

Yes, you did address the nature of our species and I gave you a biblical explanation of human nature from the biblical perspective. I find your worldview irrational as you see mine as irrational. You see, as a Christian, I can use science and the Bible for understanding the nature of man for one doesn’t contradict the other. Science doesn’t contradict the Bible and the Bible doesn’t contradict science. I have not claimed to understand or to be able to wrap my head around the perfection and awe of a Holy God. It’s like a ant trying to understand the internet. What we need to know about God at this time is in His word and through prayer. God reveals to us what we need to know. What is most important to know is we are all sinners who fall short of the glory of God who are only deserving of an eternal life in hell. Because God loves us, He gave His one and only Son to pay the full penalty of our sin on the cross. God stepped out of the glory of heaven into this world by draping Himself in humanity. He paid a debt He did not owe because we owe a debt we cannot pay. Only God who is perfect can pay for this sin. No other can pay for it for only one is without sin, Jesus. You believe the Bible is fiction and that is your belief. Still doesn’t make God go away. I believe there is a creator and that creator is God of the Bible. I do not believe this universe and everything in it came about by accident and random chance. That is completely irrational to me.

Old 04-24-2020, 11:30 AM

21,741 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:

I watched President Trump’s presser yesterday and he did not say anything remotely close to injecting cleaner into your body. Who told you that, The View and CNN? Only a person who suffers from a severe case of TDS would be able to warp what President Trump said I to that. Yikes ...
Oh? And that’s why the manufacturer of Lysol and doctors across the country have been issuing statements warning people to not follow Trump’s suggestion?

Quote:

'Under No Circumstance': Lysol Maker, Officials Reject Trump's Disinfectant Idea

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...infectant-idea
I watched the presser too. Couldn’t miss what he said. Stupidest thing ever said by anybody about anything ever in the history of the world.

No time now to respond to your whole unhinged post. Maybe some more points later. “Flattening the curve” is exactly an example of successful distancing, etc.

Math is indeed my friend. Apparently not yours.

You can take your religious fervor to the religion forum though.

Old 04-24-2020, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Reducing contact just flattens the curve resulting in the duration of the virus over a longer period of time.
That is 100% of what you are trying to accomplish by flattening the curve.

By flattening -

You don't overwhelm the health care system

Increase chances for a treatment

Buy time for a vaccine

I just don't understand why some folks don't get that by not flattening the curve - you'd practically have no chance to go to a hospital for not just the virus but anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii