Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 08:59 PM

353 posts, read 437,378 times

Advertisements

@gogowanda "Asian food everywhere" You on Oahu, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2017, 01:59 PM

34 posts, read 42,153 times
yes, I like the city, so much to do and so many people to meet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane M View Post
@gogowanda "Asian food everywhere" You on Oahu, right?

Old 01-07-2017, 10:49 AM

287 posts, read 1,371,883 times
gogowanda.....abso-f*-lutely.....this made me laugh

Old 01-07-2017, 10:53 AM

287 posts, read 1,371,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingAloha View Post
I'm not sure exactly how I found this thread, but thoroughly enjoyed reading all the posts from beginning to end. Life thows many challenges to you and when we moved away, I knew I'd be back, just not so soon and not alone! Once I have all things sorted out, will post my experiences and advice on a to and fro!!

WE will be waiting to hear about your experience....VanHa

Old 01-09-2017, 05:09 PM

66 posts, read 123,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawika52 View Post
Haole is the hawaiian term for a white person.
It's actually "Without Breath" because of the early invaders Cook could not recite his lineage in the oral tradition. It was later used as a derogatory term for outsiders/tourists/caucasians.

ha= breath of life.
A’ole: none

Old 01-09-2017, 07:33 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,900,190 times
Whether it is derogatory or not depends on what word precedes haole.

Old 01-12-2017, 12:07 AM

24,619 posts, read 9,446,498 times
I've met a few people in Hawaii who lived here for a while and they decided they wanted to move back to mainland. All I could do is shake my head. I lived on the mainland for the majority of my life, like most folks who moved here, and I don't plan to ever move back. Good or bad I'll take Hawaii for what it brings. If I ever get "island fever" I'll just take a plane and go on vacation, which is a bit of irony there ha.

Old 01-14-2017, 12:21 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
Quote:
What made you decide to move to Hawaii
-Work (military). Note, though, that I put Oahu down as my "first choice," which was due in large part to weather and the fact that there is COLA and a higher BAH rate than the other options I had.

Quote:
What did you bring with you (kid(s), car, furniture, dog)
-Myself, my car and my clothes. I did furniture shopping once I arrived on island.

Quote:
Did you have a job already when you moved
-See above.

Quote:
Where was the first place you lived in...how much did it cost
-When I first moved here, I rented a 1 bedroom in Pearl City for $1,300 a month. I've since bought a condo in town.

Quote:
What was your anxiety level like when you moved here
-Fairly low. I enjoy traveling to new places, so was pretty at ease.

Quote:
Were there differences that you found interesting or noteworthy
-People are very easygoing/friendly for the most part. I, however, have a big problem with many drivers and driving habits I've seen on island (can explain in more detail later if need be)

Quote:
When did you start making friends
-A few months after arriving. My friends are all from work, though (both civilians and other military folks).

Quote:
Did you move from your first place
-Yes. See above.

Quote:
Did you stay in your first job...or are you still looking
Yes. See above.

Quote:
How did you manage the first 3 months...being away from old friends etc.
-I won't lie. Its been tough at times. I really miss friends and family (and food) on the east coast. I also miss being able to hop in the car and take a multi-state roadtrip. But I tried to make the best of things by getting to know the island and its amenities.

Quote:
In retrospect was it a good decision and would you do it again
-Yes. Even with all of the downsides, living and working in Hawaii at this point of my life is really a once in a lifetime experience. I'm glad to be here, though I'm still "homesick"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii