Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2011, 02:03 PM

287 posts, read 1,371,980 times

Advertisements

I fully agree with DanaMarley...Manoa is the place to be if you a looking for a nice family area where there is education, food, lush green space, and great neighborhoods.

Please let us now how you make out!

VanHa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 12:50 AM

1 posts, read 5,396 times
Default Truth about Hawaii

Moving to hawaii...1st have a good job... Cost of grocery's is 2 to 3 x higher, public school system is bad and the disipline worse so put your kid's in private

prejudice towards white's in hawaii is real and putting your kid's in a private school make's a difference.

I'm white very fair, blond and I grew up in hawaii and alway's told I was pretty still had a couple of scraps with mixed hawaiian' girl's, no fight's and I'm nice.

The male friend's I had, everyone I knew had a fight sooner or later with a hawaiian guy over a wave or a look or whatever?
It was annoying there were nice guy's

There are nice people there, but you do get other nationalities who pretend there hawaiian or part and act like there suppose to have a grudge against white's also.

We all know why they act that way to feel better about themselves, better than someone else ( anyone) to feel okay about themselves, nothing new.

So that's it... And hawaii is very beautiful.

P.S. If your a tourist and you lived there a short time you really don't Know hawaii. ( prejudice is real toward's white's in hawaii)

Old 07-12-2011, 12:06 PM

159 posts, read 367,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanillaflower View Post
Cost of grocery's is 2 to 3 x higher.

P.S. If your a tourist and you lived there a short time you really don't Know hawaii. ( prejudice is real toward's white's in hawaii)
Really 2 to 3 times higher!?! Even if you came from the Midwest, prices wouldn't be that much higher. You're saying that a loaf of bread that cost $2.25 there would be $4.50 to $6.75 in Hawaii. I just paid $1.98 at Target for a loaf of wheat bread. Even if you shopped at 7/11, you wouldn't hit your prices in Oahu. If you shop smart and not at the corner quickie mart, you might break even if you're from a Mainland urban city, maybe 20 to 30% more from a small town ($2.70 to $2.93 for that loaf of bread).

And prejudice is everywhere in the world. We're both haole and in all our visits and now our move, we have never had any problems. And neither have our friends who have been to Hawaii. Your own personal attitude has so much to do with whether you'll get a negative response from locals. And since I've lived in foreign countries and have traveled all over the world, I can say that those folks called out by any local, tended to be AHs in their attitude. Trust me, I'm sure they are as big an AH in their own town.

I don't think you're doing the Hawaiian residents any justice by posting these blanket statements that they're so prejudice against whites. We've been welcomed by several families in Waianae and joined a Nanukuli family on the beach last Sunday. Just a bunch of wonderful folks, who welcomed us into their fold.

Put on a smile, say hello, treat people how you want to be treated and you'll be just fine - no matter what color you are!

Ruby

Old 07-12-2011, 12:54 PM

285 posts, read 1,082,992 times
agreed 100%

Old 07-12-2011, 01:12 PM

33 posts, read 98,176 times
Once again, you rocked it, Ruby! So glad you are on this forum to put forth common-sense, helpfulness, wisdom, friendship and love. Can't wait to meet you in person!

Old 07-12-2011, 01:36 PM

Thanks for the kind words. Just want to put different slant on some if these negative posts. My lord, you would think some of them would be heading for the Mainland themselves if it was soooo bad.

TC, Ruby

Old 07-12-2011, 02:03 PM

217 posts, read 640,334 times
aloha_silverlining (ruby) - can't rep you enough! thanks for the always day-brightening posts!

Old 07-12-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kixette View Post
aloha_silverlining (ruby) - can't rep you enough! thanks for the always day-brightening posts!
Mahalo Kixette. See you're in Tx...are you doing research to move to one of the islands?

Aloha, Ruby

Old 07-14-2011, 04:32 PM

287 posts, read 1,371,980 times
Hi Folks....let's get back to sharing some REAL LIFE stories here and keep the intent of this post! Thanks muchly Ruby! I agree with you fully...you reap what you sow!

VanHa
Waikiki '86

Old 07-21-2011, 11:05 AM

4 posts, read 10,337 times
Hello,
My name is Deirdre. I currently live in NJ but I was born and raised in Brooklyn. I am considering moving to Oahu next year because I was offered several teaching jobs. I am a special education high school teacher and apparently there is a huge shortage of teachers in Hawaii. I am very concerned over the expenses living in Hawaii and would like to live in a very quiet area but be close to the beaches. Anyone have any suggestions? I was offered a job in Pearl City and several other areas. Are there any reasonable safe rural areas that don't break the bank? I would appreciate any comments. My email is mastifflover1069@aol.com. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii