Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2011, 05:44 PM

9 posts, read 16,677 times

Advertisements

[*]What made you decide to move to Hawaii

To be honest, I always thought of myself as a California boy. It wasn't until I met my wife (born and raised in Kalihi) that I began to visit and experience the "true" Hawaii. True being, the kind of Hawaii that the locals know and live in. The charm of the mom and pop shops, local eateries, lesser populated beaches, and non-touristy spots wooed me over. Being around locals and getting acquainted with local culture pretty much sealed the deal. I wanted to be around the people and most especially nature. There's something magical about seeing the ocean every day, it calms my soul. Most of all, it is a constant reminder at how small we really are.
[*]What did you bring with you (kid(s), car, furniture, dog)

Brought my two girls, one car, and my essential office equipment. And my music!
[*]Did you have a job already when you moved

Didn't have a typical "job", but I brought my freelance business over.
[*]Where was the first place you lived in...how much did it cost

Well, I was fortunate enough to have family (my in-laws) to turn to. They had spare rooms that we could occupy, so we've been contributing by helping pay for living expenses and whatnot. We live in a single family home on the West Side of Oahu.
[*]What was your anxiety level like when you moved here

Pretty low in all honesty. Before freelancing, I had a full time job in the Silicon Valley. I was done with the rat race and wanted to focus on the more important things in life – my family, creative endeavors, and spirituality. Hawaii has been the perfect place for all of this. We had savings, so that was enough "security" for me.
[*]Were there differences that you found interesting or noteworthy

Of course, slippers and shorts all day son! Generally nicer people, and food that I absolutely love. Also, the fact that we're only a 15 mile drive away from Honolulu was perfect – if I wanted that big city life, it was never out of reach. I think many people who don't understand Hawaii (specifically Oahu) forget this. It isn't all beaches and mai tais, there's a living, breathing city with tons of "city-like" culture in Honolulu. You just have to be ready to do a bit of research to find what you're looking for. There was a Greek festival last week, Greek!
[*]When did you start making friends

Made friends right away due to some business dealings, but still in the process of making life-long friends. I still consider the folks I met more acquaintances but I'm sure as time goes on, I'll meet some people I could depend on.
[*]Did you move from your first place

Still here with my in-laws and loving it. They're very loving and absolutely great care-takers of my daughters. It's going to be hard to move out, but we will have to eventually. Of course I don't want to overstay my welcome.
[*]Did you stay in your first job...or are you still looking

Still freelancing and finding lots of success in general. I have a mix of local and remote clients so there hasn't been any lack of work. The best part of my job is that if I'm overly stressed I can just step outside and *BAM* I'm in Hawaii!
[*]How did you manage the first 3 months...being away from old friends etc.

Facebook and Facetime via my iPhone has been a godsend. Honestly, I haven't missed my friends/fam too much which is kinda sad when I really think about it, but it's because I'm exactly where I want to be in life right now and I've kept busy focusing on the things that matter. I do miss them, but the internet helps to close the gap.
[*]In retrospect was it a good decision and would you do it again

Best life changing decision I've ever made and I would do it many times over. There is no place like Hawaii in the world physically, but more important, mentally. You have to embrace this place wholly and throw all expectations and preconceptions out the door. Live here with an open mind and be versatile enough to adapt to your surroundings.

Aloha!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 07:15 PM

285 posts, read 1,082,896 times
WOW!!!! If I had put something on here it would have read word for word like your story. Well, except for the inlaw thing. We must be friends and just dont know it. Have a nice day !!

Old 10-27-2011, 03:11 PM

3 posts, read 10,466 times
Thumbs up hello

Hello, I currently got accepted to UH as an Anthropology major. I am planning on moving anytime from January to May depending on my financial aid. I am 19 and I come from Miami,Fl. I am a little scared about how everything is going to be, yet i don't know if it will be too much of a culture shock since Miami is very tropical and fast paced.I am very interested in the culture and would love the change.Hawaii seems like a perfect place for field work opportunities. I know it is not only paradise and it has its pros ad con,If any one is in somewhat of the same situation or has anything (Positive or Negative) to share about student life in Hawaii please feel free ! It would be greatly appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_idol View Post
If there are any singles, couples, small families or Students 18 to 35 year olds moving to Oahu, Please reply to this post and let me know. I am Looking for connections, room mates, etc for my move. i want to network and hook up with cool peeps looking to experience the same things I am and perhaps help out and be helped! Thanks!

Old 10-30-2011, 01:52 PM

65 posts, read 218,960 times
loved reading everyones post. We too are looking to move to Kauai 2012 How are things now in this economy? is rent going down at all?

Old 10-31-2011, 06:34 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysheets View Post
loved reading everyones post. We too are looking to move to Kauai 2012 How are things now in this economy? is rent going down at all?
Rent is definitely not going down - in fact, with the drawdowns of troops in the middle east, rent is still a premium and will continue to be so - a lot of soldiers coming back to Hawaii who don't live on base. On an island, you'd have to lose population for supply to outstrip demand.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:03 AM

501 posts, read 1,191,787 times
IMO, have a job lined up before you move to Hawaii. Be prepared for lengthy background checks (if you apply for a job where it's required). It can take months for the background check to be completed, especially if you've lived in several places on the mainland. Hawaii living is great, but have a bit of money set aside in case of an emergency or job loss that requires you to move back to the mainland. Last minute airfare can be costly.

Be prepared to pay more for simple everyday items like toilet paper, rice, hamburger helpers, etc. Even pizza at Pizza Hut is pricey.

A book worth the money is So You Want To Live in Hawaii, by Toni Polancy. It's a few years old, but has a wealth of information....from moving, pet quarantine requirements, car info, etc.

Good luck!

Mahalo!

Old 11-10-2011, 12:57 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,815,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by from nv View Post
Be prepared to pay more for simple everyday items like toilet paper, rice, hamburger helpers, etc. Even pizza at Pizza Hut is pricey.
Then skip Pizza Hut and go to California Pizza Kitchen. Same prices in Waikiki as it is in Portland, Oregon!

Old 11-11-2011, 10:12 AM

17 posts, read 130,641 times
Default Thanks nv!

Appreciate the advice! I bought Toni Polancey's book several months ago & it's been a great read!

JayBeeNOLA

Quote:
IMO, have a job lined up before you move to Hawaii. Be prepared for lengthy background checks (if you apply for a job where it's required). It can take months for the background check to be completed, especially if you've lived in several places on the mainland. Hawaii living is great, but have a bit of money set aside in case of an emergency or job loss that requires you to move back to the mainland. Last minute airfare can be costly.

A book worth the money is So You Want To Live in Hawaii, by Toni Polancy. It's a few years old, but has a wealth of information....from moving, pet quarantine requirements, car info, etc.

Good luck!

Mahalo!

Old 11-11-2011, 04:53 PM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
IMO, have a job lined up before you move to Hawaii. Be prepared for lengthy background checks (if you apply for a job where it's required). It can take months for the background check to be completed, especially if you've lived in several places on the mainland.
Mahalo!
are these background checks for base-related jobs? Hopefully not for regular jobs.

The last 15 years, most of my jobs have been in Korea and Japan

Old 11-14-2011, 10:59 AM

65 posts, read 218,960 times
sounds good. I live in alaska now and i think the cost of living is very similar to here.
I am on disability and would not be working. still my dream to live there before i die.
My husband lived on kauai for years before i met him. He loves it there.
have a great week everybody!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii