Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2012, 05:08 PM

3 posts, read 12,951 times

Advertisements

After reading other folks stories, thought I'd add my perspective and story as it seems like it might approach this thread from a different angle.

What made you decide to move to Hawaii
I moved to Hawaii after meeting my wife, then girlfriend, while she was attending a conference in Portland OR. We 'dated' long distance for a year. I visited her on kauai three times during our year apart. Somehow, during the illogic of love, we decided to move to Maui rather than stay on Kauai. We were on Maui for a year, before moving to Oahu for more opportunity.

What did you bring with you (kid(s), car, furniture, dog)
One duffel bag of clothes. A friend from Kona wisely advised me to bring as little as I could. Professional wear in Hawaii is very different, and like someone mentioned before, Hawaii is a boardshorts, slippahs and t-shirt culture. Professional wear is generally the Aloha shirt and a pair of slacks.

Did you have a job already when you moved
No. My girlfriend, later wife, was employed by the state.

Where was the first place you lived in...how much did it cost
Rentals on Maui, and the outer islands in general, are much nicer and cheaper than the rental situation in Town-Side Honolulu. We had a cute 800 sq. ft. ohana unit in Kula Maui ($950 a month), we traded that for a scorching hot, loud 375 sq. ft. Ohana unit near the university for $1500 a month. This is just an observation from looking at Oahu rentals for the past 4 years, but prices have increased and you have to be willing to spend $1500-$2000 if you really want to take advantage of living the Hawaii life. What I mean by that, is that yes, there are cheaper rentals but is living in an urban jungle what you had in mind before moving to Hawaii? If you have to live in Oahu live in Kailua, Waimanolo, Hawaii Kai, Diamond Head, Manoa, North Shore, Nuuanu--will be more reflective of your Hawaii imaginings. Have realistic expectations about rental cost.

What was your anxiety level like when you moved here
Very high. I was not interested in moving to Hawaii. I'm a mountain kid from the PNW.

Were there differences that you found interesting or noteworthy
I have been very fortunate, in that my wife does community/sustainability/environmental development for the state of Hawaii. She has lived on Kauai, Maui, Kalaupapa Molokai and we have spent a lot of time on big island. I've been able to travel to very remote locations, spend time in Kalaupapa, Midway Island, Lehua, volunteer working in remote mountain native habitats, be involved in many unique cultural events.
I've been able to do a lot in my 4 years here because of her connections.

Know this: Hawaii is very very different from the mainland. This is Polynesia and because of that, it has a unique cultural heritage that is not American. If you come to Hawaii with the mindset of, 'I'm moving to a different country. I do not know what to expect, but I'm open to whatever,' you will do well.

This is what makes living in Hawaii special. As an American, you can legally live here. With that said, any professional working here knows that working in Hawaii can be challenging. It's extremely bureaucratic. It's extremely parochial. I've heard it compared to a Banana Republic, and if you follow the news in Hawaii it's hard to argue this point. Kauai is notorious for it's govt. corruption. Oahu gov't consistently makes poor decisions. Big Island ran out of voter ballots. Maui, the Haole Isle, often times seem to fair better, although has some of the strongest race tensions.

But. You can have cultural experiences that you could never have on the Mainland. Take part in the voyage of the Hokulea. Watch young Polynesians do the Haka from the bows of their boats in Hanalai Bay as the prepare to sail to Tahiti, Samoa, Micronesia.

Check your presumptions that this is America before you come. Do not expect things to work, look, act like they do elsewhere. That's good advice.

Another thing I'll add about this, is because Hawaii does not have a dominant culture, cultural groups have vested interests in how things work, or don't work. Native Hawaiians interests pretty much trump anything else (unless it's the tourist or military interest). In my opinion, this is one reason Hawaii has been so slow to change and adapt. There are so many competing interests and concerns things become really bogged down, and mired in the bureaucratic process.

When did you start making friends
Depends on what you mean by friends. Locals generally keep to themselves. Although friendly, they have their own things going on, their own families, friends from kid time days. A lot of mainland folks form what I call expat groups. Friends from elsewhere. If you're interested in making friends in Hawaii, join a paddling club. Paddle for a few years and you'll have more friends than you know what to do with. Many of the people I know, met their wives in paddling clubs. It's a loophole in the system.

You'll also find that people that move to Hawaii, and stay, are a different species.

Did you stay in your first job...or are you still looking
No. I've had several. Hawaii professional life was very shocking at first (and sometimes still is). Things move. very. slowly. Honolulu business culture is very Asian. If you've ever lived in Japan, you'll find similarities. If you move to quickly, be prepared to have the 'mainland' description thrown at you. Pay is low. People are motivated differently here. And work is not generally considered to be the most important thing. You'll meet people that have been working 2 full time jobs for 30+ years in order to stay here. To send their children to private schools. To pay their condo mortgage. Punahou, Iolani, Kamehameha, other private school kids go to the mainland for college and never come back. Work is a challenge here. Be prepared and willing to string things together. there are success stories. My wife is one. She knows no other professional work environment than Hawaii, and Hawaii has been good to her.

How did you manage the first 3 months...being away from old friends etc.
That was the hardest. The transition was very abrupt and difficult. I had my share of freakouts. Still do.

In retrospect was it a good decision and would you do it again
In order to be with my wife, yes. Otherwise, I'm not sure. Her career has flourished and mine has had more ups and downs and downs. I'm grateful to know Hawaii like I do. I'm grateful to have lived in this place. To have become a watermen. To know the ocean and the surf as intimately as I do. To work and live in a place where there is no dominant culture. To be a minority!

However, I really miss the mainland. I miss Oregon. I miss the cost of living. I miss the forests and the open spaces. I miss the snow. We miss friends and family.

If you come to Hawaii, I would suggest you treat it as a 1-2 year vacation. Don't look at it as a 'forever' move, because that will stress you out.

If you're young and single. Surf all you can. Join a paddling club. For gawds sake, visit the outer islands. Don't mistake you're military base, or your Kona time share as Hawaii. Learn to play the Ukulele. Hula. Learn to pronounce the Hawaiian words correctly. Volunteer. Learn the names of native plants and birds. Smile. Leave your ego behind.

Shake off the racist encounters. No matter what anyone tells you, you will experience this if you decide to work and surf here. It exists. Focus on the people that treat you kindly.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by TheNwKid; 12-02-2012 at 05:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 07:03 PM

38 posts, read 73,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNwKid View Post
After reading other folks stories, thought I'd add my perspective and story as it seems like it might approach this thread from a different angle.

I moved to Hawaii after meeting my wife, then girlfriend, while she was attending a conference in Portland OR. We 'dated' long distance for a year. I visited her on kauai three times during our year apart. Somehow, during the illogic of love, we decided to move to Maui rather than stay on Kauai. We were on Maui for a year, before moving to Oahu for more opportunity.

One duffel bag of clothes. A friend from Kona wisely advised me to bring as little as I could. Professional wear in Hawaii is very different, and like someone mentioned before, Hawaii is a boardshorts, slippahs and t-shirt culture. Professional wear is generally the Aloha shirt and a pair of slacks.

No. My girlfriend, later wife, was employed by the state.

Rentals on Maui, and the outer islands in general, are much nicer and cheaper than the rental situation in Town-Side Honolulu. We had a cute 800 sq. ft. ohana unit in Kula Maui ($950 a month), we traded that for a scorching hot, loud 375 sq. ft. Ohana unit near the university for $1500 a month. This is just an observation from looking at Oahu rentals for the past 4 years, but prices have increased and you have to be willing to spend $1500-$2000 if you really want to take advantage of living the Hawaii life. What I mean by that, is that yes, there are cheaper rentals but is living in an urban jungle what you had in mind before moving to Hawaii? If you have to live in Oahu live in Kailua, Waimanolo, Hawaii Kai, Diamond Head, Manoa, North Shore, Nuuanu--will be more reflective of your Hawaii imaginings. Have realistic expectations about rental cost.

Very high. I was not interested in moving to Hawaii. I'm a mountain kid from the PNW.

I have been very fortunate, in that my wife does community/sustainability/environmental development for the state of Hawaii. She has lived on Kauai, Maui, Kalaupapa Molokai and we have spent a lot of time on big island. I've been able to travel to very remote locations, spend time in Kalaupapa, Midway Island, Lehua, volunteer working in remote mountain native habitats, be involved in many unique cultural events.
I've been able to do a lot in my 4 years here because of her connections.

Know this: Hawaii is very very different from the mainland. This is Polynesia and because of that, it has a unique cultural heritage that is not American. If you come to Hawaii with the mindset of, 'I'm moving to a different country. I do not know what to expect, but I'm open to whatever,' you will do well.

This is what makes living in Hawaii special. As an American, you can legally live here. With that said, any professional working here knows that working in Hawaii can be challenging. It's extremely bureaucratic. It's extremely parochial. I've heard it compared to a Banana Republic, and if you follow the news in Hawaii it's hard to argue this point. Kauai is notorious for it's govt. corruption. Oahu gov't consistently makes poor decisions. Big Island ran out of voter ballots. Maui, the Haole Isle, often times seem to fair better, although has some of the strongest race tensions.

But. You can have cultural experiences that you could never have on the Mainland. Take part in the voyage of the Hokulea. Watch young Polynesians do the Haka from the bows of their boats in Hanalai Bay as the prepare to sail to Tahiti, Samoa, Micronesia.

Check your presumptions that this is America before you come. Do not expect things to work, look, act like they do elsewhere. That's good advice.

Another thing I'll add about this, is because Hawaii does not have a dominant culture, cultural groups have vested interests in how things work, or don't work. Native Hawaiians interests pretty much trump anything else (unless it's the tourist or military interest). In my opinion, this is one reason Hawaii has been so slow to change and adapt. There are so many competing interests and concerns things become really bogged down, and mired in the bureaucratic process.

Depends on what you mean by friends. Locals generally keep to themselves. Although friendly, they have their own things going on, their own families, friends from kid time days. A lot of mainland folks form what I call expat groups. Friends from elsewhere. If you're interested in making friends in Hawaii, join a paddling club. Paddle for a few years and you'll have more friends than you know what to do with. Many of the people I know, met their wives in paddling clubs. It's a loophole in the system.

You'll also find that people that move to Hawaii, and stay, are a different species.

No. I've had several. Hawaii professional life was very shocking at first (and sometimes still is). Things move. very. slowly. Honolulu business culture is very Asian. If you've ever lived in Japan, you'll find similarities. If you move to quickly, be prepared to have the 'mainland' description thrown at you. Pay is low. People are motivated differently here. And work is not generally considered to be the most important thing. You'll meet people that have been working 2 full time jobs for 30+ years in order to stay here. To send their children to private schools. To pay their condo mortgage. Punahou, Iolani, Kamehameha, other private school kids go to the mainland for college and never come back. Work is a challenge here. Be prepared and willing to string things together. there are success stories. My wife is one. She knows no other professional work environment than Hawaii, and Hawaii has been good to her.

That was the hardest. The transition was very abrupt and difficult. I had my share of freakouts. Still do.

In order to be with my wife, yes. Otherwise, I'm not sure. Her career has flourished and mine has had more ups and downs and downs. I'm grateful to know Hawaii like I do. I'm grateful to have lived in this place. To have become a watermen. To know the ocean and the surf as intimately as I do. To work and live in a place where there is no dominant culture. To be a minority!

However, I really miss the mainland. I miss Oregon. I miss the cost of living. I miss the forests and the open spaces. I miss the snow. We miss friends and family.

If you come to Hawaii, I would suggest you treat it as a 1-2 year vacation. Don't look at it as a 'forever' move, because that will stress you out.

If you're young and single. Surf all you can. Join a paddling club. For gawds sake, visit the outer islands. Don't mistake you're military base, or your Kona time share as Hawaii. Learn to play the Ukulele. Hula. Learn to pronounce the Hawaiian words correctly. Volunteer. Learn the names of native plants and birds. Smile. Leave your ego behind.

Shake off the racist encounters. No matter what anyone tells you, you will experience this if you decide to work and surf here. It exists. Focus on the people that treat you kindly.

Hope this helps.
What an accurate post! Well done.

Old 12-20-2012, 02:51 PM

20 posts, read 90,863 times
I'm one of those people who went to Hawaii on spring break, and decided I had to live there. Three months after my vacation, my boyfriend (now ex-boyfriend) and I packed our bags and moved to Oahu. I was probably 22 years old.

I had two suitcases, $3000, and that's it!

Nope! I had no job, no car, no place to live...

I lived in a tiny studio in central Oahu, and it cost almost a $1000/mo because it was furnished. The only reason I got this place was because I basically begged the landlord. I sent him a card, and I told him my mom would guarantee me. He only gave me the place because he liked me. He told me as much. I am thinking this is uncommon.

Obviously very very high.

I'm Asian, so it was different to actually blend in. Everyone thought I was a local girl. I noticed that everything in Hawaii moved a lot slower. I'm from the East Coast, so I was used to things being faster-paced. People drive really slow here. I also noticed that there were a lot of Asian food options, which reminded me of when I studied abroad in Japan. I enjoyed that part, but I found that a lot of other "mainlanders" aren't too fond of spam or eating so much rice.

I started making friends at the credit union I worked at, but most everyone was a lot older, so I did not have too many friends at first. Honestly, it was really hard to make friends around my age (early 20s then). As crazy as it sounds, I think I met some of my first friends on Craig's List because they were also lonely and having a hard time meeting people the same age. We all lived on the Leeward side.

I stayed at the credit union for the whole 1.5 years that I was in Hawaii. Then, I went back to the mainland to go back to school. (That's probably the smartest part of my whole story.)

The phone and internet made things manageable, although the time difference made finding a mutual time to talk difficult.

Well, after spending 1.5 years in Hawaii, I decided to go back to school because I was just scraping by. Luckily, I forged connections and was able to get a job in Hawaii after finishing school. I just returned in July after being away for approximately 3.5 years, and I love it here! Between my boyfriend and me, we now make $100,000 and we are now in our later 20s. (We are both attorneys, so I imagine we will be making a bit more than that next year when we transition to firms (hopefully).) We are now renting a nice house in Hawaii Kai, and we play tennis and swim at a club close by. We've met most of our friends through work but also a few at the club. My sister also now lives here with her husband who just retired as a pilot in the Marines, so I am lucky to have family here too.

In retrospect, I would have done things way differently, but I was young and a bit hard-headed. I feel fortunate and really lucky that things worked out well for me. However, I KNOW things do not work out this way for everyone who falls in love with Hawaii and moves without a plan. I shake my head a little bit when I read all the posts from people who are dying to move here like I was. (Most of the friends I made during my first stay here are back on the mainland.) If you are young and have nothing to lose, then go ahead and move, but don't expect that everything will be easy-breezy if you don't have a good plan. Just understand it will be an adventure, and don't expect to stay here for much longer than a year or two unless you are okay with plateauing.

Things were so much easier the second time around when I had a job and more money. If you're looking to move permanently, I would suggest doing more planning than I did.

Old 12-20-2012, 05:01 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,810,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bittersweet View Post
[b] If you are young and have nothing to lose, then go ahead and move, but don't expect that everything will be easy-breezy if you don't have a good plan. Just understand it will be an adventure, and don't expect to stay here for much longer than a year or two unless you are okay with plateauing.
Excellent observation. Unless you are active in advancing your education/career through school or a defined work experience plan, you most likely won't just fall into to happily climbing up the career ladder. Hawaii is an easy place to get stalled with your career, unless you have a game plan.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:32 PM

287 posts, read 1,371,883 times
Quote:
I'm one of those people who went to Hawaii on spring break, and decided I had to live there. Three months after my vacation, my boyfriend (now ex-boyfriend) and I packed our bags and moved to Oahu. I was probably 22 years old.

I had two suitcases, $3000, and that's it!

Nope! I had no job, no car, no place to live...

I lived in a tiny studio in central Oahu, and it cost almost a $1000/mo because it was furnished. The only reason I got this place was because I basically begged the landlord. I sent him a card, and I told him my mom would guarantee me. He only gave me the place because he liked me. He told me as much. I am thinking this is uncommon.

Obviously very very high.

I'm Asian, so it was different to actually blend in. Everyone thought I was a local girl. I noticed that everything in Hawaii moved a lot slower. I'm from the East Coast, so I was used to things being faster-paced. People drive really slow here. I also noticed that there were a lot of Asian food options, which reminded me of when I studied abroad in Japan. I enjoyed that part, but I found that a lot of other "mainlanders" aren't too fond of spam or eating so much rice.

I started making friends at the credit union I worked at, but most everyone was a lot older, so I did not have too many friends at first. Honestly, it was really hard to make friends around my age (early 20s then). As crazy as it sounds, I think I met some of my first friends on Craig's List because they were also lonely and having a hard time meeting people the same age. We all lived on the Leeward side.

I stayed at the credit union for the whole 1.5 years that I was in Hawaii. Then, I went back to the mainland to go back to school. (That's probably the smartest part of my whole story.)

The phone and internet made things manageable, although the time difference made finding a mutual time to talk difficult.

Well, after spending 1.5 years in Hawaii, I decided to go back to school because I was just scraping by. Luckily, I forged connections and was able to get a job in Hawaii after finishing school. I just returned in July after being away for approximately 3.5 years, and I love it here! Between my boyfriend and me, we now make $100,000 and we are now in our later 20s. (We are both attorneys, so I imagine we will be making a bit more than that next year when we transition to firms (hopefully).) We are now renting a nice house in Hawaii Kai, and we play tennis and swim at a club close by. We've met most of our friends through work but also a few at the club. My sister also now lives here with her husband who just retired as a pilot in the Marines, so I am lucky to have family here too.

In retrospect, I would have done things way differently, but I was young and a bit hard-headed. I feel fortunate and really lucky that things worked out well for me. However, I KNOW things do not work out this way for everyone who falls in love with Hawaii and moves without a plan. I shake my head a little bit when I read all the posts from people who are dying to move here like I was. (Most of the friends I made during my first stay here are back on the mainland.) If you are young and have nothing to lose, then go ahead and move, but don't expect that everything will be easy-breezy if you don't have a good plan. Just understand it will be an adventure, and don't expect to stay here for much longer than a year or two unless you are okay with plateauing.

Things were so much easier the second time around when I had a job and more money. If you're looking to move permanently, I would suggest doing more planning than I did.
I wish that all the young people that want to move here, read this post. Excellent observations.

Old 03-10-2013, 03:06 AM

100 posts, read 269,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiem8 View Post
You won't be able to have the exact same lifestyle as you did on the mainland unless you have loads of cash.
katiem8 makes one of the best points here regarding moving to Hawaii and everyone considering doing so should pay particular attention to their financial circumstances rather than going off of so many of these wonderful success stories. What complicates this is when people vacation out here as they will have a very different budget than normal everyday living, so paying $4.5 per gallon for gas, or $8 for a gallon of juice or milk, or $220 for a beach cruiser that costs only $80 on the mainland, or anything else that is going to be 2-3 times more expensive out here than the mainland, most of this will probably go completely unnoticed when vacationing here. If at all possible (not in any attempt to ruin your vacation) try and change your mindset while out here and visualize how these costs might affect you on a daily basis. Take it a step further and determine the things in your life that are an absolute necessity...things like maybe horseback riding, or road cycling, or whatever. Bring those activities out here and try and find out how you can make those happen in the area where you think you want to live. Maybe its the road cycling thing and you want to live in downtown Honolulu. Get a road bicycle and ride all around downtown Honolulu (I do not encourage anyone to try this but do so if you must) and get a true understanding of what it is really going to be like. Do not just try the cycling at 5 in the morning, get out there during lunch hour or rush hour during the work week. Try and simulate times and days that you would actually be out there riding so that you can get the real picture.

I realize this is going on too long but I think it is very important for people to set their expectations right before they get out here, unless they have lots and lots of money to burn.

Old 03-10-2013, 03:09 AM

100 posts, read 269,861 times
Quote:
People drive really slow here.
Lol, I am guessing you have not been on the H3 yet

Old 03-17-2013, 07:22 PM

35 posts, read 73,607 times
hi, i am 16 , and i am so dreaming about moving to hawaii, i am canadian , and in process to get green card.. i either want to go to college there, if i get accepted. or go over there right after i finish college, and i have read so much about moving in hawaii and everything, life cost higher and harder to get jobs , EVERYTHING. its my dream i plan to move their , i sure will try to plan ahead tho. this summer i will work 2 jobs in canada trying to get some money , and also each summer until i get my green card, then i would be able to work here and get money more.i think this thread is so helpful, it helps me seing different experiences, of different point of views. i know i will do it. the only thing that scares me is finding a job when i will be at this step..

Old 03-17-2013, 08:13 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,051,963 times
Has anyone noticed the common thread of the phony illiterate typing in these troll posts?

At least this one didn't ask about the $10K or "is it possible." lol

Old 03-17-2013, 08:15 PM

35 posts, read 73,607 times
my bad i am french canadian so yet i dont masterize english writing. -_-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii