Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 10:14 AM

168 posts, read 726,380 times

Advertisements

I'm on Oahu. In town. It seemed a little overwhelming & crowded at first but I love it now! I'd considered the other islands for a minute but the job outlook was even worse & I'm 22 & single so I figured Oahu would be the best bet for me. I can always visit the other islands fairly easily now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 04:36 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,509,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiem8 View Post
I'm on Oahu. In town. It seemed a little overwhelming & crowded at first but I love it now! I'd considered the other islands for a minute but the job outlook was even worse & I'm 22 & single so I figured Oahu would be the best bet for me. I can always visit the other islands fairly easily now!
Congrats! You finally made it!
(now you have to change your location in your profile)

Old 06-10-2010, 09:05 PM

287 posts, read 1,371,856 times
Quote:

My biggest tips are:

1) PLAN AHEAD. research, come visit, really plan ahead more than you could ever think it's necessary.

2) BE FLEXIBLE. i have a college degree & took a kinda crappy receptionist job. but it's gona pay my bills & i am making my dreams come true. I decided kinda last minute to leave my dog w/ my parents & have realized I can't eat like I used to, I just can't afford it. (I used to drink 4 gallons of milk a week living alone. & would eat out EVERY meal or eat cereal. can't afford that over here. I drink a lot of water & juice & am learning to cook) You just have to adapt. You won't be able to have the exact same lifestyle as you did on the mainland unless you have loads of cash.
Hi Katie,

I love your post. It shows what it actually takes to make your dreams come true. Some people hope to make their dreams come true, while others work at it! Congratulations and I wish you all the best.

VanHa

Old 06-10-2010, 09:09 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,509,170 times
Quote:
I'm on Oahu. In town. It seemed a little overwhelming & crowded at first but I love it now! ....
Just a wee bit different from Morton and Peoria, Illinois, huh?

Old 06-11-2010, 12:57 AM

168 posts, read 726,380 times
MD-soooo different. and the thing is when I first started driving I felt so overwhelmed just driving to or around peoria lol funny how things change.

Old 12-23-2010, 01:12 PM

1 posts, read 7,546 times
Wow, thank you for all the posts. I am very young [still in my teens], but so far, moving to Hawaii is my main goal in life. I'm from the south [Alabama and Georgia] and I like my heat, hate the cold and disapprove of drastic change in temperature. As it is here one day its in the 60s or 70s the next its below freezing, and I am not joking. Hawaii is beautiful, the culture is beautiful, I feel I would be happy there and the temperature pleases me so I have made it my destination. Thank you for all of the information, this thread is so helpful!

Old 01-02-2011, 02:49 PM

1 posts, read 7,380 times
I am attending school to become a C.N.A. in Florida,U.S.A.,and after graduation would love to move to Hawaii permanently.Have a 2yr old beagle/mix. Any suggestions as to make the transition? Do I buy a car in HI.,sell everything not sentimental and buy there,? Is it better to look for someone who want to share house/apt.,or get my own? Have so many questions,would love any suggestions that anyone here can offer. Aloha,

Old 01-04-2011, 03:37 PM

31 posts, read 50,486 times
  1. What made you decide to move to Hawaii --I met a boy through a mutual friend. He lived here. We became friends via Facebook then I decided to move to be closer to him. I also vacationed often in Hawaii and my very first boy friend in college was from Honolulu.
  2. What did you bring with you (kid(s), car, furniture, dog) I don't have kids so I brought three boxes of clothes and my car.
  3. Did you have a job already when you moved I did not have a job. It took me about 6 months to find a job.
  4. Where was the first place you lived in...how much did it cost I lived near Diamond Head by Kapiolani Park. The rent was 2300 a month not including utilities or parking.
  5. What was your anxiety level like when you moved here The anxiety level was pretty high. I didn't have a job and I didn't know if the relationship would work--didn't.
  6. Were there differences that you found interesting or noteworthy Differences? I thought I'd fit in perfectly since I am Asian but I found myself in culture shock. I really like the laid back attitude here but also found it somewhat annoying when you needed things done quickly.
  7. When did you start making friends I guess when I started working. I find it hard to make friends here. Majority of my friends were my ex's friends so when the relationship ended, so did the friendships. I am still trying to make friends. Most people my age (I am in my mid 30's) are married with kids. It is very hard to meet people. I just joined a gym. I work out a lot. I go dancing and try to get out as much as possible, I took up standup paddle boarding and I am planning to join a canoe club but still... I have aquaintences but no close friends.
  8. Did you move from your first place Yes, I am not living in Kailua. I really like it here.
  9. Did you stay in your first job...or are you still looking I am still with my first job.
  10. How did you manage the first 3 months...being away from old friends etc. Well, I was in a relationship so it was manageable. I find it a bit harder now but I am in good spirits.
  11. In retrospect was it a good decision and would you do it again Yes, I do think it was a good decision. It was a learning experience and I am a wiser person now because of it. I do love Hawaii. I feel so much healthier here. Perhaps because the weather is conducive to physical activity outdoors. I can never go back to the bitter cold of the East Coast!

Old 02-04-2011, 10:10 PM

2 posts, read 8,538 times
Default to move or not

I am thinking about appling for a transfer that would take me to the Big Island to work at Kona Airport. I like the idea but am worried that I may be having a mid life crisis. I would have a good steady job, but would be selling an almost paid for townhouse, most of my stuff and shipping a cat, dog and car from AZ to HI. I am a little worried about feeling confined in small island(s) far away from the mainland. Any advise pro or con is appreciated.

Old 02-06-2011, 01:46 PM

163 posts, read 268,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinara View Post
I am thinking about appling for a transfer that would take me to the Big Island to work at Kona Airport. I like the idea but am worried that I may be having a mid life crisis. I would have a good steady job, but would be selling an almost paid for townhouse, most of my stuff and shipping a cat, dog and car from AZ to HI. I am a little worried about feeling confined in small island(s) far away from the mainland. Any advise pro or con is appreciated.
I can't give you any advice, but have you thought about renting out your townhouse to someone who is responsible? That way if things don't work out, you have a place to go to. After the mortgage is paid, it would be a nice source of extra income for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii