Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 09:14 AM

138 posts, read 355,067 times

Advertisements

Yea, wait until you've done all the responsible things that others say your supposed to do. Works out great unless you get squashed crossing the street, 1/2 way through life. lol

I think it's smart and prudent to get as much information and advice about major life decisions. Take in as many different prespectives as possible. But individually we must all make decisions based on internal priorities. Personally, I think American society tends to put too much emphasis on being "safe" and doing the "smart thing". Sometimes in life you have just got to trust in your ability to make do and persue your dreams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 11:10 AM

2,058 posts, read 3,303,767 times
edit: wow, really sorry dwedeking. wrong thread!

Old 02-23-2010, 11:22 AM

138 posts, read 355,067 times
thatsong -

I wasn't calling you out specifically, and having kids changes your priorities (one of the reasons I've never wanted kids, the long term committment). The OP is 18, with no kids, and limited responsibilities. If your going to live risky, now would be the time to do that lol.

My point about getting hit by a car, is that so many people put off their dreams for "when they have more money", "after my business is built", "after the kids graduate from grade school,high school, college, get married, etc", "when I retire" and then that day never comes.

Worst case scenario for the OP is that he utterly fails in Hawaii and has to move somewhere else. At least he gave his dream a shot.

But most of all you have to be true to yourself. If taking that risk is "you" then plan well, get advice, and then do it. If setting down roots, staying in one spot, etc is "you" then do that as well. Don't do either based entirely on what others feel is right for them.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:52 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,600,861 times
You might want to advertise "golf lessons" when you make a move. Competition for jobs at courses is probably fierce. Most golf courses are expensive resort courses; living expenses are high in those areas unless you are willing to commute a bit.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:12 PM

70 posts, read 287,993 times
Default 18 over da hill but looking for that hole in one

aloha

what island ...glad you asked

well first theres 7 ... so that offers an idea

then theres that big little island with tons of peoples ...i think they call that a freeway mess ..

one down 6 to go ,,
'
3 islands kinda have less people than some high schools

im getting there ...hard to hit a golf ball on an active volcanoe if the golf course might get vulcanized

now i know its not 7 but i cant count ... google maui ... and find the course that over looks the valley ...what a great course ,,what a great view ...they offer now a round for 99 bucs ...but all things change ...

like i said b4 dont let the dream die ..come visit if you have money as you say enjoy the islands see what else you might like ...i dont know if you have ever lived on an island but each island is different ..the beaches are fine at 18 the women are fine ....life can be so uber wonderfull just enjoy the journey

xstonedrocker

Old 02-23-2010, 12:19 PM

2,058 posts, read 3,303,767 times
i thought that was in response to a different post in a completely different thread, dwedeking. Total misundertanding/mistake on my part. I agree with you and that's is also the reason I/ my husband and I don't have kids, as well.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:01 PM

12 posts, read 20,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking View Post
Yea, wait until you've done all the responsible things that others say your supposed to do. Works out great unless you get squashed crossing the street, 1/2 way through life. lol

I think it's smart and prudent to get as much information and advice about major life decisions. Take in as many different prespectives as possible. But individually we must all make decisions based on internal priorities. Personally, I think American society tends to put too much emphasis on being "safe" and doing the "smart thing". Sometimes in life you have just got to trust in your ability to make do and persue your dreams.
I had to quote you because you are exactly right. This is exactly how I feel and view the situation. Thanks for the response, it's exactly what I was looking and hoping for.

HolaHuey, I was thinking the same thing. Just help out and provide for the community first and strengthen my resume. I just love helping people and I feel Hawaii is all about helping one another. Maybe its just me dreaming again lol.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:50 PM

32 posts, read 80,470 times
Hey,

This is exactly what I am looking into, except I am leaving Hawaii after finishing college and getting work experience. I really do think moving will allow you to start with a clean slate. Golf wise Oahu has the most courses thus has quite a bit of opportunity. Speaking Japanese will go a long way in the golf field here as many of the golfers are tourists from Japan.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:57 PM

12 posts, read 20,141 times
Appreciate it Hi10. I've been wondering about the golf situation and this answered my question and reassured me on it. I'm glad you agree on moving allowing me to start clean. That is my main reason of moving. Hope your situation goes how you want it to!

Old 02-24-2010, 11:48 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,600,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AR Golfer View Post
I had to quote you because you are exactly right. This is exactly how I feel and view the situation. Thanks for the response, it's exactly what I was looking and hoping for.

HolaHuey, I was thinking the same thing. Just help out and provide for the community first and strengthen my resume. I just love helping people and I feel Hawaii is all about helping one another. Maybe its just me dreaming again lol.
Keep dreaming, ARGolfer. I'm dreaming about a climate where I can hold a golf club without pain in my hands.

If you don't try it, you'll always wonder. I did a lot of moving around until I was 30, because I had a skill I could bring and make a decent wage. With your outlook, you'll be welcomed by most in the Islands. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii