Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 07:23 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,744,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
This is true. It's hard to get them back in for all three shots. We do what we can.

My daughters both said it was the most painful shot they'd had. That probably doesn't help.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:30 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
My girls are 11 and I have agonized about this ever since the vaccine first came out. Wonder if anybody has had a change of position with this news?
CDC: HPV vaccine reduced disease rates in teen girls by 56 percent - CBS News
Not I.

From the article: "For most people, the body will build immunity against the HPV virus, and it will go away. "

I see no reason to vaccinate against something that most people simply become immune to when exposed. This is not like other vaccines.

All vaccines carry risk and parents have to weigh the risks and benefits. I just don't see enough benefit for this one to risk it.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:39 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Not I.

From the article: "For most people, the body will build immunity against the HPV virus, and it will go away. "

I see no reason to vaccinate against something that most people simply become immune to when exposed. This is not like other vaccines.

All vaccines carry risk and parents have to weigh the risks and benefits. I just don't see enough benefit for this one to risk it.
Only 0.5 % of polio cases lead to paralysis. And of those 0.5%, "only" 5-10% die. For the math challenged, of 20,000 polio cases, only 100 will be paralyzed and only 5-10 will die. By your "logic", we should quit immunizing against polio. After all, if "only" 10% of HPV infections become cancerous, meaning we shouldn't bother immunizing, why bother with these 1% of people who will become paralyzed? Such a waste of health care dollars!

WHO | Poliomyelitis

Old 06-21-2013, 07:48 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
My daughters both said it was the most painful shot they'd had. That probably doesn't help.
That could also be teenagers talking! Again, we do what we can. We use a "shot-blocker", a little thingy that looks like a soap dish with those little prickers on it. That fools the mind a little. We tell the kids to move their arms around a lot afterward, and to take Ibuprofen/Tylenol for a sore arm.

Cancer hurts more, requires all kinds of needles for chemo, etc.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:57 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,744,831 times
Quote:
That could also be teenagers talking! Again, we do what we can. We use a "shot-blocker", a little thingy that looks like a soap dish with those little prickers on it. That fools the mind a little. We tell the kids to move their arms around a lot afterward, and to take Ibuprofen/Tylenol for a sore arm.

Cancer hurts more, requires all kinds of needles for chemo, etc.
Oh definitely. Far better than cancer.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:18 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
I see no reason to vaccinate against something that most people simply become
immune to when exposed. This is not like other vaccines.
Let me make a point here, you don't become "immune" to it, your IMMUNE SYSTEM keeps it in check. At the risk of this being TMI for you let me tell you that I was married for 32 years and monogamous the entire time. Then I went through menopause and had a few health issues and my immune system just wasn't what it once was. NOW I'm testing positive for a high risk HPV. Did I just catch it from my ex or has it been in me since before I married (or even after if my H was a carrier) and is just now showing up because A) they have only been testing for it since the early 2000's and B) my immune system can't keep it in check anymore.

I don't know about you but I'd almost prefer to think my ex exposed himself and then me to this right before we separated than realize the consequences of aging means I'm in danger from things I've had since god knows when. I don't have anything wrong yet, just a positive HPV and atypical cells in on my PAP, but even though I'm cervix free thanks to a hysterectomy a few years back I now have to have the test every 6 months just in case it starts causing cell changes in my vagina, vulva or anus. Yes, it causes cancers there as well. So yippy for me and everyone else who's immune system decides to slow up a bit. Also scary to think many woman without a cervix don't even bother with tests like this because they think they don't have to worry anymore.

Michael Douglas believes it may be responsible for his throat cancer too. Some strains of HPV may be causeing much more cancer than we ever thought.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:25 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
Quote:

I bet your parents (or maybe your grandparents) didn't feel that way about the polio vaccine!
To be fair, people back then were a lot more trusting in "authority" and "the man" back then and weren't as jaded as we are now about Big Pharma. Also young people were coming down with polio and we could see how horrendous it was for the people who got it almost immediately while cervical cancer usually doesn't strike till years later and we don't see children on crutches or in wheelchairs. I certainly remember being vaccinated (sugar cubes) in public schools and I know my parents had no qualms about getting their children whatever protection they could. I had 2 friends who contracted polio in 2nd grade and it sent a complete panic through the community. I'm sure if complications of HPV showed up as immediately as polio there would be a lot less resistance to the vaccine. Also I think the controversy about autism and some vaccines has many people on edge about vaccines in general.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:31 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
Quote:
This is true. It's hard to get them back in for all three shots. We do what we can.

I bet your parents (or maybe your grandparents) didn't feel that way about the polio vaccine!
My grandparents, I guess. I was born in 1978.

I sure was glad I didn't jump on the original rotavirus vaccine, though... Sometimes there really are problems and it takes some time to catch them. Not saying this is necessarily the case with the hpv vaccine, but it's a xonsideration when something new comes out.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:51 PM

90 posts, read 140,919 times
Yes, Devilz is correct. HPV vaccines are considered a cancer vaccine yet cervical cancer in the United States has been at record lows for the past two decades. Yeah read that again...record lows.

Currently only an estimated 3,600 women die of cervical cancer each year. The spectacular success in lowering the death rate from cervical cancer can be attributed to annual Pap screening – between 1955 and 1992 deaths from cervical cancer declined 74% and continue to decline annually by 4%. (Tomljenovic L and Shaw CA, Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Vaccine Policy and Evidence-Based Medicine: Are They at Odds? Annals of Medicine December 22, 2011

Part of that success of Pap screening lies in the fact that cervical cancer, unlike most other cancers, is very slow growing. With proper screening, there is ample opportunity to catch and successfully treat cervical cancer before it gets out of hand. It would be unlikely, then, for any further treatment to improve upon this already very low rate of cervical cancer death. So why was there such a big rush to come out with these HPV vaccines? It just never made good sense to me quite honestly.

And by the way, when government officials, vaccine advertising (and posters on forums) make wild claims of high death rates associated with cervical cancer, according to neuroscientists Dr. Lucija Tomljenovic at the University of British Columbia, 88% of these deaths occur in developing countries without adequate Pap smear screening programs.

Stay with me now.

It is estimated that virtually all women in the US experience a series of human papillomavirus infections throughout their lifetimes. What the makers of Gardasil try to hide is the well-documented fact that 90% of all HPV infections go away of their own accord within two years without causing any disease and with no treatment or intervention of any kind. (Ibid, Annuals of Med.)

Now I wonder why the CDC and the vaccine promoters don't tell us that important fact?

Does everyone know that Gardasil is "designed" to prevent only 4 HPV strains: 16 and 18, which can cause cervical cancer, and 6 and 11, which can cause genital warts. However, there are 150 other types of HPVs, at least 15 of which can cause cancer, and Gardasil provides no protection against these other strains. None, nada, zero.

Does Merck’s so-called consumer education ever mention any of this? Of course not. Why would you have your daughter (or son) vaccinated if you knew the protection was so limited? or IMO completely ineffective ( note: yes, they are pushing this vax in boys as well)

Old 06-21-2013, 09:58 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
It is estimated that virtually all women in the US experience a series of human papillomavirus infections throughout their lifetimes. What the makers of Gardasil try to hide is the well-documented fact that 90% of all HPV infections go away of their own accord within two years without causing any disease and with no treatment or intervention of any kind. (Ibid, Annuals of Med.)

The thinking is the infection does not "go away" but is kept in check by your immunse system. Like shingles.There is so much to learn about what this virus is capable of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness