Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2015, 05:01 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times

Advertisements

What an exhausting ordeal for several of you on this thread. Gotta say - you'd have to shoot me before I would undergo what some of you on this thread have. In meo's case, an auto accident put matters out of her control. We just never know, do we.

About 20 years ago I met a well-to-do woman, a doctor's wife, whose hip broke while standing in the kitchen one Christmas Eve - she was about 80. She had a hip replacement, developed a staph infection on the appliance which they could never eradicate, infection went to her heart and she remained in a wheelchair thereafter. Ultimately, her husband died, and she went to a nursing home.

I had a relative who needed to doctor, or thought she did, constantly. As a result, she became somewhat of a hypochondriac, when to the ER one night because of heart palpitations, heart doc authorized (against attending ER physician's advice) a test known to cause issues. Result - two hours later she had a massive stroke - direct result of that test - remained comatose and died two weeks later at age 70.

Those, and my own very unique year-long experience with medicine in my 30's where I cured myself using a 'way out there' alternative therapy, have caused me to always look for alternative therapies at the first sign of an issue.

In my early 50's, knees started to snap, crackle, pop, hips began bothering me - first signs of osteoarthritis. I immediately began a regimen of Osteo-BiFlex - have continued this product daily for the past 20 years. Now, at age 73, still no problems whatsoever. Can bend, twist, walk, whatever. Visit doc now and then for a checkup, but never for an ailment.

For those where osteoarthritis is the culprit - caught in the early stages - bone on bone/loss of cartilage-synovial fluid should not occur. A simple regimen of Osteo-BiFlex is the preventive. I have tried numerous forms of glucosamine/chondroitin and have found OB - for me - to be the absolute best. A darn cheap, uncomplicated, stress-free alternative to a joint replacement and all its attendant complications - at least in my case.

My best wishes to RB and gentlearts' hubby for continued recovery. Lots of credit for your courage and stamina. Ye gads.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 12:37 PM

12,039 posts, read 6,568,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post

In my early 50's, knees started to snap, crackle, pop, hips began bothering me - first signs of osteoarthritis. I immediately began a regimen of Osteo-BiFlex - have continued this product daily for the past 20 years. Now, at age 73, still no problems whatsoever. Can bend, twist, walk, whatever. Visit doc now and then for a checkup, but never for an ailment.

For those where osteoarthritis is the culprit - caught in the early stages - bone on bone/loss of cartilage-synovial fluid should not occur. A simple regimen of Osteo-BiFlex is the preventive. I have tried numerous forms of glucosamine/chondroitin and have found OB - for me - to be the absolute best. A darn cheap, uncomplicated, stress-free alternative to a joint replacement and all its attendant complications - at least in my case.
I've had the same great experience with Osteo Bi Flex. I've tried going off it, and by a month my osteo arthritis pain in knees and back comes back. So it's not a permanent cure. It must just temporarily lubricate the joints or something. I think the important point you made is it works best "when caught in the early stage."

Healing thoughts and prayers to all you going through such traumatic health issues!

Old 01-29-2015, 09:17 PM

7,043 posts, read 6,293,948 times
I'm going to try that, because I also have osteoarthritis & bursitis in my hips. I was able to deal with that & live life. The thing with the accident is that the insurance companies (hers & mine), made me go through hoops before they authorized an MRI. In the meantime, all the exercises they had me do, all the hoops they made me jump through was making it worse because my nerve was caught between 2 discs which had no cartilage left. Was it because of the accident or age. Hard to prove.

I will say, I was not prepared for that person to run the red light, & I know the person didn't mean to - I often think a cell phone was involved. I can't prove it, of course. And it was no contest between her huge SUV & my tiny little 4 cylinder. And it wouldn't have been so bad if they hadn't been working in that specific area, but her car crashed me into the metal barrier & I must have jammed my foot on the brake & at the same time my back got crushed into the metal frame of my car.

So, now I can't walk well, can't bend & generally do a lot of sitting. I try not to be bitter but sometimes it's hard.

I also often wonder, what was she thinking? You go slower in a work zone, not faster. And she was no kid. Close to my age. Oh well, she'll probably never do it again so who knows who I saved because of her actions.

Last edited by meo92953; 01-29-2015 at 09:23 PM.. Reason: i will learn to proofread before submitting, sorry.m

Old 02-03-2015, 09:01 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,762,267 times
meo I can't rep you but you all are so brave, you are in my prayers <3

Old 02-03-2015, 05:36 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,872,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
I've had the same great experience with Osteo Bi Flex. I've tried going off it, and by a month my osteo arthritis pain in knees and back comes back. So it's not a permanent cure. It must just temporarily lubricate the joints or something. I think the important point you made is it works best "when caught in the early stage."

Healing thoughts and prayers to all you going through such traumatic health issues!
I have been taking various brands of glucosamine/chondroitin for many, many years. I usually get Osteo or Schiff Move Free when they are on sale, and then generic the rest of the time. But I'm actually thinking I need to stick with the better brand names (although they are so expensive if not on sale).

Anyway, I see that there are a bunch of different Osteo formulas. Mountainrose, which one do you take? I am really trying to cut down on the number of pills/vitamins that I take each day, so taking 3 tablets a day isn't something I wish to do when I'm only taking one now. I actually kind of liked the Move Free Ultra, but it is horrendously expensive.

Just curious.

Old 02-04-2015, 07:50 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,762,267 times
I just get the store brand when they are BOGO. Each tablet has:

Glucosamine HCI 1500 mg.
Boswellia Serrata 100 mg.
Chondroitin MSM complex 1100 mg. (chondroitin, MSM, collagen, hyaluronic acid, boron)

Old 02-04-2015, 06:43 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,061,905 times
Why oh why??? So now the surgery is scheduled for the 18th and I am in such pain that I am looking forward to it.
BUT I now have a toothache. And that means I have to get it fixed or they won't do the hip. Been to my dentist who says it's just a crown. But he can't fit me in, in time. So now I have to see a new dentist (tomorrow) to see if its really a crown or maybe an infection. My PCP says no implant if you have tooth infection. Horrible scenario. Weeks of IVs and possibly removal of the implant.
To be continued.......

Old 02-04-2015, 06:57 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
Ha, it's been 3 months for my guy friend, 61...and yesterday he
found himself running to get out of a crosswalk...He was VERY surprised and thrilled!
His scar is lightening...not so 'purple'. And he is back in the gym...slowly
working it.
His 2 shoulder replacements done 7 months ago are doing great!
The first 2-3 days afterwards ..miserable.
Hip gets so much more blood so did so much better!

Old 02-04-2015, 07:23 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,872,604 times
Barb........Oh no!!! Hope it's not an infection. Here's to hoping that things go along well for you. Let us know how things go. I'll be thinking good thoughts!!

I have an appt. next Wednesday with the surgeon. Will have to see what he has to say. Therapist says that she can see about a 25% increase in my quad strength. I really need to be able to drive by the end of March due to our move to DE. Of course then I will have to find a new doc up there for follow-up care. PT has offered to help find me someone up there for therapy.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:52 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
I've had the same great experience with Osteo Bi Flex. I've tried going off it, and by a month my osteo arthritis pain in knees and back comes back.
Mountainrose, which one do you take?
Answered in MR's post which you quoted. See above.

BOGO on Osteo Bi-Flex is run all the time. If it isn't Walgreen's, it's CVS. Even my grocery store this week. You can buy it everywhere. I usually pay under $40 for a six month supply (240 pills) using a BOGO, sometimes even less than that when they have the 180 ct. for that price, which from time to time they do. Otherwise, one 120 ct bottle is $40. Silly to pay that price. Essentially, the stuff costs me about $6.70/mo. They've hit all the bases with their proprietary formula which includes the fundamentals of glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM - and then adding boswella, collagen and hyaluronic acid - last three being the key, I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness