Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2015, 09:11 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,763,632 times

Advertisements

The thought of a dslocation really scares me. Is it really a valid concern? Not that we're gymnasts or anything, but is it really a threat? What did your doctors tell you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 12:46 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,061,905 times
After surgery, they will tell you how to avoid a dislocation and how to bend, retrieve articles on the floor, not cross one leg over the other, etc etc. If you follow the "rules" for the appropriate amount of time, you will be fine. Having PT after the hospital visit is very helpful since they know how to teach you the ropes. It takes a few weeks for the tissues to "cement" the new hip into place.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:28 PM

Thanks, Barb. I was talking to an EMT who had a dislocation patient and she said the morphine didn't help, it was excruciating.

Old 07-29-2015, 06:23 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,872,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Thanks, Barb. I was talking to an EMT who had a dislocation patient and she said the morphine didn't help, it was excruciating.
I asked my surgeon how long I have to follow "hip cautions" and he said pretty much for the rest of my life. Hip cautions include not crossing your legs, using a pillow between your knees if you sleep on your side, and not bending your hip more than 90 degrees. I am pretty careful when I bend over to pick something up that I either brace my leg behind me or lift it up in the air so that I'm not bending too far (think an ice skater with their leg out behind them when they are spinning). I also have a long reach tool but it can be a pain as it's always in another room in the house when I need it. There is a guy that lives in this community that apparently had his dislocate 3 times in a month. We are thinking that there is something wrong there, although it is an older implant and may be wearing since apparently older implants can wear and become loose. I'm sure the current ones are much better (I hope).

Old 07-30-2015, 08:38 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,239,617 times
I am on my second hip and have never had a dislocation with either. Stepped down off a tractor step that was about 3ft off the ground and did it wrong and on my left with the total was up there on the step and me on the right foot and no dislocation!

Old 07-30-2015, 09:56 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,061,905 times
Rothbear: I think your surgeon is overly cautious. I don't do any of that stuff anymore and am 4 months out now from the last one. The first one , about 20 months ago, has also been without any complications whatsoever. I also stepped down off a high ladder about 8 weeks after the surgery and was afraid I did something bad but the doc took an xray and all was well then and is still.

Old 07-31-2015, 07:29 PM

7,044 posts, read 6,295,966 times
Since my operation I've been ordering on-line what I can to cut down on going shopping. One of the catalogs I get is mainly centered around products to help with health concerns. Example, I just ordered a telescoping shower/tub cleaner because I can no longer bend & am getting tired of using my feet to move a rag around to clean the shower. I hope I can name the magazine; easy comforts. They also have the tool to help with putting on socks, long scrubbers for the back, etc. It has helped me tremendously to have these things.

I was going to hire someone to help me clean the bathroom but it's $20 an hour. Figured I'd take the chance on this product as it's $19.99, same difference. I want to stay as independent as possible.

Old 08-01-2015, 05:27 AM

meo, which sock tool do you use? I have been looking at them but they seem so flimsy, don't know which one to get.

Old 08-01-2015, 08:08 PM

7,044 posts, read 6,295,966 times
I don't use one anymore. I sit & pull my leg up to me to put on socks & I only wear ankle socks. But, in the nursing home, I used what they had. I don't know what they had. I do know it was more frustrating to use than re-learning how to put them on by pulling up one leg at a time.

Old 08-02-2015, 08:39 AM

Interested in your telescoping shower tool, too! We have a soaker tub and it's a PITA to scrub!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness