Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2015, 02:43 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,873,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post
I have been taking various brands of glucosamine/chondroitin for many, many years. I usually get Osteo or Schiff Move Free when they are on sale, and then generic the rest of the time. But I'm actually thinking I need to stick with the better brand names (although they are so expensive if not on sale).

Anyway, I see that there are a bunch of different Osteo formulas. Mountainrose, which one do you take? I am really trying to cut down on the number of pills/vitamins that I take each day, so taking 3 tablets a day isn't something I wish to do when I'm only taking one now. I actually kind of liked the Move Free Ultra, but it is horrendously expensive.

Just curious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Answered in MR's post which you quoted. See above.
Ariadne22........If you read my complete post/question, I was asking which formula of Osteo (BiFlex) she takes. There are several different ones and I was wondering if she found one better than the other. If you check this link there are 17 different variations of Osteo BiFlex. I know she said what she takes, that's why I capitalized the name. I'm not totally stupid.

Buy Osteo Bi-Flex now at drugstore.com online
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 05:54 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,765,774 times
Ugh, Barb, I hope all goes well, that sucks. Blessings to us all. DH had another sciatica attack today, the agony, I feel so helpless......

Old 07-15-2015, 11:26 AM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,664,353 times
Since I am to the point where I don't want to live with the constant pain in my left hip, I will be having a replacement next month.

So I thought I would revive this thread to see how things are going with those that have had their hip replaced recently.

Old 07-15-2015, 11:33 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,244,094 times
Had my 1st about 1972 or 73. Second on Dec 29,1993. Life is too short don't waste time.
Easier than ever before.

Old 07-15-2015, 11:41 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,319,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Had my 1st about 1972 or 73. Second on Dec 29,1993. Life is too short don't waste time.
Easier than ever before.
agree with you Versatile

I had a frayed and torn rotator cuff in Nov and despite my objections went through 'conservative' treatment with the orthopedist. Said surgery was not in my best interest. Now the rotator cuff is somewhat better but I must have surgery for the impingement from bonespurs and adhesions that grew during the conservative treatment. Got a new doctor and am looking forward to repair and recovery.

If the first doc had taken care of it I wouldn't be having surgery now. So I go with you Life is too short and don't waste time.

Old 07-15-2015, 02:10 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,065,651 times
My left was so easy that I decided to do the right 15 months later. Surgery (anterior) with a very very good surgeon here in Phoenix was done Mar.18.

Still have some psoas tendinitis and wound healing pain. Doc says all looks good. All will be well. Just wait. Have noticed that if I overdo activity, I suffer the next day, although while doing it, I feel fine. I started anti inflammatory meds with rest about a month ago and see significant imprvement. But gave up the Aleve because of throat/stomach issues. I try to pace myself, knowing that THIS side will take alot longer than the other one. No explanation. Just a little older, maybe a little more stressed, and still happy I did both of them. Good luck to you. The expertise of the surgeon means everything.

Old 07-15-2015, 06:01 PM

12,040 posts, read 6,574,734 times
Rothbear,
I am so sorry I did not see your question a few months ago asking which formula I take.
I take the Osteo Bi-Flex formula that says "Joint Health, triple strength"
It's this one:

http://www.osteobiflex.com/products/triple-strength/

I've also taken their Bone and Joint health one, but I think it had vitamin D with it, and I already take a lot of D so didn't want more. It's very confusing when you go to buy it as they have so many different ones and keep changing and adding new things to it -- but it works for many people!!
Good luck -- Hope you see this, but it's probably too late.

Last edited by mountainrose; 07-15-2015 at 06:18 PM..

Old 07-15-2015, 06:16 PM

12,040 posts, read 6,574,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post

I had a frayed and torn rotator cuff in Nov and despite my objections went through 'conservative' treatment with the orthopedist. Said surgery was not in my best interest. Now the rotator cuff is somewhat better but I must have surgery for the impingement from bonespurs and adhesions that grew during the conservative treatment. Got a new doctor and am looking forward to repair and recovery.

If the first doc had taken care of it I wouldn't be having surgery now. So I go with you Life is too short and don't waste time.
Sorry to hear about your surgery!
I had serious complicated shoulder surgery three years ago from an old injury and urge you to get the best physical therapist in your area that specializes in shoulders after your surgery.
That's what truly makes the difference in your healing. Your shoulder PT is as important as your surgeon.
I have absolutely no pain now, and my shoulder is amazingly flexible and strong thanks to a brilliant PT. But it took months of work.
So good luck to you.

Old 07-15-2015, 09:55 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,873,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Rothbear,
I am so sorry I did not see your question a few months ago asking which formula I take.
I take the Osteo Bi-Flex formula that says "Joint Health, triple strength"
It's this one:

Osteo Bi-Flex Triple Strength | Osteo Bi-Flex: Joint Health Supplement - Ready for Action

I've also taken their Bone and Joint health one, but I think it had vitamin D with it, and I already take a lot of D so didn't want more. It's very confusing when you go to buy it as they have so many different ones and keep changing and adding new things to it -- but it works for many people!!
Good luck -- Hope you see this, but it's probably too late.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

As far as the hip replacement, I am slowly progressing. It's been 8.5 months now. I still have a lot of tightness around and above my knee which is impeding my progress in healing, although the surgeon claims this will go away once the nerve heals. I have trouble believing anything that comes of that man's mouth, though. I do walk around the house without a walker or cane now, except for when I get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom and also getting in and out of the shower, both I still use the walker just to keep from stumbling. I use my cane outdoors for now as well to help with unfamiliar ground as well as helping me get up and down curbs and steps. And I still can't drive, which is annoying me more than anything. DH started to go back to PA for work a week/month last month, so I was by myself for the first time since last October. I am so lucky to have wonderful neighbors that watch over me while he is away.

We moved to Dover, DE in April so I don't have any doctor here yet and will have to find someone soon. My PT prescription is too old and will have to get a new one before I can restart that. I just want to feel good again and be able to do all the things that I was promised I could do before the surgery.

Speaking of.........with all the stupid hip cautions (especially not bending more than 90 degrees), how the heck does one shave their legs, tie shoes (I have relegated myself to slip on only, and mostly clogs), cut toenails, put cream on your feet, or anything else that requires bending over???? I have a long reach thing, but that doesn't help with a lot of things. One of the guys in the community has had his dislocate 3 times in the last month or so. I do know his is older, but he said he did it by doing something against his "cautions". I get so frustrated trying to do some of these things that some stressful days I have what I call a mini-meltdown.

Old 07-17-2015, 06:09 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,765,774 times
Thank you all for keeping up the thread.

To those with surgeries in the future, blessings and prayers.

Barb, what are you taking for inflammation? DH lives on Aleve....

rothbear, I hear you on the dislocating, it's my biggest fear if and when he finally gets his hip done......

Hugs, all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness