Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 12:35 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
When I turned 65 I was having terrible groin pain and putting on my socks was nearly impossible.

The doctor who gave me my Medicare physical was a smart alec who was upset that I rarely went to the doctor. He angrily told me.........." you are probably packed with prostate cancer " He did x-rays on my hips and said they were good.

Four years later, after re-locating 870 miles away I went to a VA Clinic who ordered x-rays done and was told both of my hips were terrible.

One hip replacement done in December of 2014 ( 69 years old ) and the other done November 2015 ( 70 years old )

Both were a breeze !

I refused physical therapy , but did exercises on my own at home.
Orthopedic doctor marveled at my excellent recovery speed.

I can easily put on my socks now and have no groin pain whatsoever.

( shows how little that family doctor that gave me my free Medicare physical knows )

My guess is you had the Posterior approach replacements. I went with the Anterior as it's supposedly the latest and greatest but I ended up with the NERVE damage as I've found out about after the fact.

I have no more groin pain but all the other crap I deal with. I still don't like the fact that I live with these artificial parts in my body. I'm on a replacement support group and drop in there and often hear of stories people are experiencing re: revisions and infections and now a lady is dealing with infection on an old replacement job and told antiobiotics for the rest of her life.

For me, I think the surgeon got lazy on Friday afternoon with my surgery and messed the nerve. Do surgery early in the week.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 08-27-2016 at 12:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2016, 12:42 PM

I just found this on the Retirement group, I spend most of my time on the alternative area of Health and Wellness.

I deal with a mess from hip replacement and was taking Ibuprofen for some yrs, too many, and a D.O. I'm seeing now pushed me to get off Ibuprofen as my BP was spiking for some yrs even on BP meds. I had no clue about the Ibuprofen. He said too, I could be a walking stroke to happen. So I'm off this NSAID about a month and BP is normalizing in a nice area for me. And he's much much happier.

Pain-RX does wonders for me and NO SIDE EFFECTS.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/alter...nhibitors.html

Old 08-27-2016, 08:01 PM

Default Femoral Nerve - how are things for you now

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post
Unfortunately my surgeon came very highly recommended by people and in the area. He does 20-30 patient surgeries per week for knee & hip. The practice that he works at is very highly regarded. Every time I talked to someone who had it done they gave high praise and went on and on how great he was. It just seems that they are OK with you if things go well, but don't want to be bothered if they don't. I had a feeling that he maybe knew something was off since I had complained about numbness from my groin to my toes from the time I woke up. But they kept brushing it off to other reasons and to just wait. They even had to use the bedpan with me for 2 days because I couldn't stand on that leg and almost fell one day. I complained about my knee feeling like jelly and felt like it was going to buckle out from under me (and I did fall 3 times).......and now I find out that is one of the classic signs of femoral nerve damage. Well I knew something was wrong and my therapist knew something was wrong but no one would listen except for finally my back doctor.

All I know is that I better not have to have anything else replaced as I will be very reluctant if not right down refuse. I know people that have had both hips and knees done by him and were ecstatic. It's just so difficult to find a doctor that will really listen to you because no one knows your body and how it feels more that you!

Oh well, I guess what's done is done and I have to live with it for awhile. If nothing else, this whole thing has caused me to finally understand the phrase "don't sweat the small stuff". I have bigger things to be concerned about other than spilling something in the kitchen, etc. DH had been trying to tell me that for years as I have a short fuse when it comes to myself and getting annoyed with myself, now I understand.

I'm dealing with major Femoral Nerve Damage from 2010 Anterior and it's made my life a nightmare. Wonder how you are doing at this point, it's 6 yrs in Oct for me and at least 80% of my thigh is very numb, nerves are probably so damaged. I never want to see the surgeon again, so lost all communication with them. Plenty of communication for the first couple yrs and now I just have to live with it.

A DC I'm seeing now, is using powerful stim on that area, but I'm not sitting on pins and needles with a lot of hope the nerves will come back to Life.

Old 08-28-2016, 05:40 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I just found this on the Retirement group, I spend most of my time on the alternative area of Health and Wellness.
This thread has been moved to the Health and Wellness forum...

Old 09-09-2016, 06:17 PM

Just following a woman's post on a replacement board I'm on. She has lived with a posterior hip replacement I think for 15 some yrs and now things have gone wrong. She has ended up with a major infection and now in a rehab after having some more surgery in that area, but the wound is not healing. Now she's saying they may have to take everything out and "maybe" start over with spacers and other equipment.

If you can live with your joint mess, do so. Do other types of work to keep going.

Look at PRP and Stem Cells....do as little invasive work as possible.

Old 09-09-2016, 07:06 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,906,644 times
Anyone thinking of hip replacement should look into hip resurfacing (especially men under 60). Much less invasive than full replacement with full active functionality afterwards.

http://www.hipresurfacingsite.com/

Old 09-09-2016, 11:20 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,228,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
When I turned 65 I was having terrible groin pain and putting on my socks was nearly impossible.

The doctor who gave me my Medicare physical was a smart alec who was upset that I rarely went to the doctor. He angrily told me.........." you are probably packed with prostate cancer " He did x-rays on my hips and said they were good.

Four years later, after re-locating 870 miles away I went to a VA Clinic who ordered x-rays done and was told both of my hips were terrible.

One hip replacement done in December of 2014 ( 69 years old ) and the other done November 2015 ( 70 years old )

Both were a breeze !

I refused physical therapy , but did exercises on my own at home.
Orthopedic doctor marveled at my excellent recovery speed.

I can easily put on my socks now and have no groin pain whatsoever.

( shows how little that family doctor that gave me my free Medicare physical knows )

Good to hear of your positive experience

Clearly this is how the vast majority of patients that undergo total hip replacement see the process

No reason anyone suffering from significant pain due to hip arthritis should fear this procedure.

Old 09-10-2016, 09:18 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Good to hear of your positive experience

Clearly this is how the vast majority of patients that undergo total hip replacement see the process

No reason anyone suffering from significant pain due to hip arthritis should fear this procedure.
I am with you on this. Of course things go wrong, doctors are human and some people react differently to procedures. But there is no reason to expect anything will go wrong and no reason to suffer pain if it can be reduced or eliminated with treatments. Age does need to be considered; as we age, we do take longer to recoup. When I had my knee done I as just under 78; I made a remarkable recovery.

Old 09-10-2016, 11:10 AM

Yea I expected my life to be so improved with the Anterior and true no groin pain issues but the complications I'm living with. Good Grief.

As I've said I now "think" the highly recommened surgeon was so anxious to start his weekend on Friday afternoon, he really messed me up.

I've talked to many over the almost 6 yrs post op who have many issues they live with. If one has never gone thru these replacements, they have no clue and if they work in this field, they can only praise these invasive surgeries. I'm doing all I can to save myself from more surgery for my knee, more trauma, more nerve damage. I have a friend living with "H**L" from knee replacement and he lives on pain meds. He keeps doing replacements as he's just been thru a shoulder replacement and I'm not hearing from him so I'm thinking he's having a hard time.

Do all one can to do the least invasive and least violation of the body. Surgery is a violation as I see it, so much can go wrong. Can't reverse these for sure.

Our "health" insurance industry pays for the invasive protocols, so of course people jump to what insurance will pay. All other protocols we're on our own. The longer I live, the clearer this all is. Even ortho MD's in my town are offering their patients PRP injections, out of pocket for them/me.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 09-10-2016 at 12:02 PM..

Old 09-10-2016, 01:24 PM

I've mentioned I ended up with Femoral Nerve damage from Anterior. I've read a lot about the nerve and where it is and either from forcing the muscles etc and even the catheter can damage the nerve. My thigh is 80% numb and it's 6 yrs post op soon. It's taxing and affects the knee more too even though leg came out shorter.

Am I the only one here with a mess?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness