Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2019, 12:08 PM

5,867 posts, read 11,928,737 times

Advertisements

My husband came down with a nasty cold Christmas Eve. I started a regimen of various immune boosters and zinc lozenges, but I came down with it anyway. Fortunately mine seems to be very mild, but I’m wondering what other measures I could have taken. I washed my hands a lot and avoided drinking after him. Unfortunately, we are are in the middle of a master bath remodel so we're sharing the guest bed and bath.

How do you survive a family viral event?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2019, 12:13 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,822,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
My husband came down with a nasty cold Christmas Eve. I started a regimen of various immune boosters and zinc lozenges, but I came down with it anyway. Fortunately mine seems to be very mild, but I’m wondering what other measures I could have taken. I washed my hands a lot and avoided drinking after him. Unfortunately, we are are in the middle of a master bath remodel so we're sharing the guest bed and bath.

Not much you can do except hope its a strain you have already had. You can sanitize every surface in the house and sequester your husband and take every health precaution you can, but the odds are you will still come down with it.

Old 12-31-2019, 12:26 PM

8,153 posts, read 8,354,049 times
I won’t share the TV remote with my DH when one of us is sick; if he’s sick and used it then I will wipe it down with sanitizing wipe — same goes for anything he has touched. We do share a K-sized bed, but I will change the sheets every day. I won’t share a toilet with him, but I do keep sanitizing wipes in both bathrooms and if he’s been in the one I am using I will wipe down all the surfaces (including TP holder!). I certainly won’t cuddle, hug or kiss when one of us is sick. I won’t let him unload the dishwasher or even fill a wineglss or water glass for me. If we are sharing a wine bottle, the sicky has to pick it up with a dishcloth and then afterwards throw that dishcloth in the washer.

I also wash my hands constantly and avoid touching doorknobs with my bare hands — will regularly wipe them down, too. Basically do everything to avoid coming into contact with any surface he has touched. We have avoided catching each other’s colds sometimes — not always.

Old 12-31-2019, 01:13 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post

You were probably infected before you started using all these products. People with colds/flu are often contagious a day before symptoms become noticeable. Some of those products might help you kick your own virus a bit sooner or make it less severe.

Last edited by Parnassia; 12-31-2019 at 01:43 PM..

Old 12-31-2019, 01:21 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
Elderberry syrup, vitamin C and D, Oil of Oregano are my go to’s for viral illness.

Old 12-31-2019, 01:50 PM

5,867 posts, read 11,928,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Not much you can do except hope its a strain you have already had. You can sanitize every surface in the house and sequester your husband and take every health precaution you can, but the odds are you will still come down with it.
I think you're right and being in close proximity didn't help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
I won’t share the TV remote with my DH when one of us is sick; if he’s sick and used it then I will wipe it down with sanitizing wipe — same goes for anything he has touched. We do share a K-sized bed, but I will change the sheets every day. I won’t share a toilet with him, but I do keep sanitizing wipes in both bathrooms and if he’s been in the one I am using I will wipe down all the surfaces (including TP holder!). I certainly won’t cuddle, hug or kiss when one of us is sick. I won’t let him unload the dishwasher or even fill a wineglss or water glass for me. If we are sharing a wine bottle, the sicky has to pick it up with a dishcloth and then afterwards throw that dishcloth in the washer.

I also wash my hands constantly and avoid touching doorknobs with my bare hands — will regularly wipe them down, too. Basically do everything to avoid coming into contact with any surface he has touched. We have avoided catching each other’s colds sometimes — not always.
Wow - not sure I could keep up with that routine but maybe if it weren't for the remodeling gong on and being down to one bathroom and a queen sized bed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
You were probably infected before you started using all these products. People with colds/flu are often contagious a day before symptoms become noticeable. Some of those products might help you kick your own virus a bit sooner or make it less severe.
It was a week from when he started having symptoms to when I started getting them. I'm pretty sure he passed it to me. I do think my precautions made it a lot less severe that it could have been.

Old 12-31-2019, 01:54 PM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
I guess I just get in line and wait for my turn to come down with it. Sometimes I do, and sometimes I get lucky and don't.

Old 12-31-2019, 02:02 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,967,013 times
In for a penny, in for a pound. All you can so is just suck it up and hope you don’t get it.

Old 12-31-2019, 02:05 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
My husband brought sickness home from work and I got it and had it for 5 weeks almost 6 . this was a virus and am finally over it . I still cant believe I was so sick . I hope to never have anything like this again . So you just stand in line and wait your turn because you will get it . As someone else said stand in line .

Old 12-31-2019, 02:18 PM

829 posts, read 629,647 times
I think whether you get what your spouse or family member comes down with is a matter of luck and your immune system/whether you're susceptible to it, as well as whether you've been around them a lot. If you have the misfortune to have a lengthy car ride with someone with something, I almost think you're doomed.

I do the usual with trying to sanitize surfaces, not drinking after one another, etc., but I personally think it's impossible to keep it sanitized 24 hours a day unless you don't let the sick person touch anything LOL. Not that I have any scientific evidence, but I always figure if I haven't come down with a cold within a week of my husband having symptoms, I just might escape getting it. I figure if I don't get a stomach bug within 1-3 days of the onset, I might not get it.

Good luck staying healthy, everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness