Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 04:01 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
I'm trying to come to grips with the fact that my primary care physician is fat. Very fat, in fact. His PA's are fat, too.

I never get asked/counseled about diet/nutrition/exercise. Or supplements. Or stress reduction.

It's difficult for me in this situation. I want more than prescriptions as I believe a lot of our ills come from diet/exercise/stress.

Thinking of switching to a more compatible medical practice.

Have you ever had this situation? Love to hear your thoughts. Trying not to be judgemental.

FYI...I am normal weight and do exercise ... good health except for HBP which is under control with meds...
Good for him. Your doctor is a typical overweight American, just like 66% of the population is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 05:02 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times
Quote:
I'm trying to come to grips with the fact that my primary care physician is fat. Very fat, in fact. His PA's are fat, too.

I never get asked/counseled about diet/nutrition/exercise. Or supplements. Or stress reduction.

It's difficult for me in this situation. I want more than prescriptions as I believe a lot of our ills come from diet/exercise/stress.

Have you ever had this situation? Love to hear your thoughts. Trying not to be judgemental.

FYI...I am normal weight and do exercise ... good health except for HBP which is under control with meds...
If you don't approve then stop going to this doctor. Why would you need the approval of the C-D community if this bothers you. I can't see any reason to bring this up EXCEPT to be judgmental.

Old 04-29-2016, 05:04 PM

17,536 posts, read 39,147,881 times
You would think doctors would be "pictures of health" but most aren't. My own doctor is pudgy and pasty and never stops yawning. He looks extremely unhealthy to me. But I just worry about taking care of my own health. I only go there to get my lab results and prescriptions for metformin.

Old 04-29-2016, 05:26 PM

7,129 posts, read 12,672,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
You would think doctors would be "pictures of health" but most aren't. My own doctor is pudgy and pasty and never stops yawning. He looks extremely unhealthy to me. But I just worry about taking care of my own health. I only go there to get my lab results and prescriptions for metformin.
Seems like a good plan...

Maybe I do come across as judgemental--and I guess I am. But it's my health, my check book. I'm wanting to find a "healer" more aligned with my core values and beliefs about health and wellness. You're right, it's time to move on and find a more integrative doctor.

My parents ended up on a whole bunch of meds--I think my Mom took 12--lots of side effects equaled more and more meds. I'm the opposite. I will do life-style changes before going that route. I'm the opposite of a non-compliant patient.

Years ago, I had a great doctor who told me she wanted me to quit smoking--and referred me to a stop smoking clinic sponsored by the American Lung Association. Thanks to her, I did successfully quit my smoking addiction. She told me that unless I quit, she didn't want to be my doctor any more! Now that was a wake up call.

That's what I'm hoping to find now--a doctor who is pro-active in encouraging wellness. Sure, I'd like to be my own wellness coach--but we can all use some encouragement along the way.

if you don't need this support, then more power to you. Me, I like feeling I'm on a team involved in good health, not a team just prescribing more and more meds--and not practicing good health themselves.

Old 04-29-2016, 05:37 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,458,616 times
I once went to one of my husband's previous doctors for something and noticed that the way he took my blood pressure was to stabilize the arm straight out across his chubby tummy. It felt weird.

Old 04-29-2016, 05:42 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Seems like a good plan...
Maybe I do come across as judgemental--and I guess I am. But it's my health, my check book. I'm wanting to find a "healer" more aligned with my core values and beliefs about health and wellness. You're right, it's time to move on and find a more integrative doctor.
My parents ended up on a whole bunch of meds--I think my Mom took 12--lots of side effects equaled more and more meds. I'm the opposite. I will do life-style changes before going that route. I'm the opposite of a non-compliant patient.
Years ago, I had a great doctor who told me she wanted me to quit smoking--and referred me to a stop smoking clinic sponsored by the American Lung Association. Thanks to her, I did successfully quit my smoking addiction. She told me that unless I quit, she didn't want to be my doctor any more! Now that was a wake up call.
That's what I'm hoping to find now--a doctor who is pro-active in encouraging wellness. Sure, I'd like to be my own wellness coach--but we can all use some encouragement along the way.
if you don't need this support, then more power to you. Me, I like feeling I'm on a team involved in good health, not a team just prescribing more and more meds--and not practicing good health themselves.
Right about the moment that *fat* Doctor, EMT, and his *fat* assistants save your life perhaps your judgement of their core values, beliefs and medical knowledge will change.
I do have some information for you though, not ALL medical issues can be fixed with a lifestyle change, some do require medication.
I wonder how much of that medication you will turn away when one of them is the *only* medication that can help your body function long enough to have a transplant......

Old 04-29-2016, 06:01 PM

7,129 posts, read 12,672,910 times
So I guess some folks here have no problem with a fat doctor...

That's fine. Go with the flow. Different strokes for different folks.

Old 04-29-2016, 06:06 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
Muscle weighs more than fat. A friend who was at 262 and ready for diabetes, took control, eliminated WHITE foods and to date she's taken off 82 lbs in about 8 months.

Old 04-29-2016, 06:33 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:

When I was shopping around for doctors, one of the recommended ones was obese. She's only in her 30's, and for some reason, she's obese. She also was poorly informed on the issues I was trying to address, so I moved on.

Old 04-29-2016, 07:06 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,908,708 times
If you want nutritional advice, go to a licensed dietician/nutritionist who has at least a master's degree in the field of nutrition.

You won't get decent nutritional info from any doctor. That's not what they are trained for. Same with alternative medicine "doctors".

Just as you wouldn't go to a doctor to get your teeth fixed, you shouldn't expect to get nutritional advice from a doctor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness