Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 07:26 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
OK, a terrific doc who happens to be overweight is fine -- but my doc's only solution to any health issue is a pill. That's my main gripe.

His weight is not the issue, I've come to realize but it's his method of treatment that's the sticking point for me. Cholesterol is a tad high? Here, take this pill. Zero discussion of diet -- or non-medication ways to lower.

Guess I expect too much. If he doesn't appear to practice good nutrition or portion control himself, I shouldn't expect him to offer any advice along those lines to me.

I'll follow your advice and pay out of pocket for a naturopath or nutritionist. The advice here seems to be I cannot expect--or get nutrition/life-style advice from a regular physician.

Having said that, I'll always be grateful to the doctor who sent me to the smoking cessation program. I owe her a huge debt. She left medicine after a while -- she told me she wanted to spend more time with patients but it had turned into a numbers game with the practice she was in -- and that wasn't her style of medicine. A big loss for her patients. I've never found anyone like her since.

For the poster who said they quit smoking 3 packs a day cold turkey -- that's great. You're strong. I'd tried several times by myself and failed. It took a month long program to help me quit. Guess I needed more support-- but ultimately successful for 20 years of being smoke-free.
Doctors get one short course on nutrition in med school. You know more than they do. At least we now have the internet and can do our own research.

While it's terrific that your doctor sent you to a smoking cessation program, you could have gone to one on your own. My brother did that 30 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2016, 09:08 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Doctors are human. They aren't gods. Thus, they have problems just like the rest of us, and one of the huge problems many Americans have is obesity. Doctors aren't immune from having human flaws and foibles. OP knows being overweight is bad for our health, so I suggest he/she not judge Dr. X and do what's best for him/her.

Old 05-01-2016, 11:08 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
I believe the OP can think what she wants to think. and true doctors are not gods, i know that one a long time ago.

Old 05-01-2016, 12:11 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
GP's are for general stuff, surgeons are for surgery, osteo for bone stuff, derm for skin stuff AND nutritionists for diet.

I would only be concerned if I had a fat nutritionist.

My derm is a chub, but he is great in his field of study.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-01-2016, 05:42 PM

7,127 posts, read 12,667,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Doctors get one short course on nutrition in med school. You know more than they do. At least we now have the internet and can do our own research.

While it's terrific that your doctor sent you to a smoking cessation program, you could have gone to one on your own. My brother did that 30 years ago.

Yes, of course...but I needed a "kick in the butt" so to speak-- pun fully intended.

If every addict could kick their addictions on their own, there wouldn't be a need for programs such as AA would there?

Support is great.

Old 05-01-2016, 06:45 PM

9 posts, read 11,012 times
I wouldn't be bothered by an MD that was fat (or a dermatologist with acne or a plastic surgeon with wrinkles). My reasoning is that they have the knowledge and means; they simply choose not to apply it to their own life. They can still provide above average care.
I am much more focused on how well my doctor listens and how fit between the ears they seem.

Old 05-01-2016, 09:50 PM

I question "why they can't apply it to their own life"...

Old 05-02-2016, 02:21 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,770,051 times
I don't care at all if any of my healthcare providers are fat. It is their skills and knowledge that matter to me, not their personal habits or their personal genetics that might be a major contributor to their obesity.

Old 05-02-2016, 04:51 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,662,025 times
I do have a doctor that encourages me to lose weight actually. Obesity is linked medically to various diseases. I value his input. But does he get paid for that service, I don't think it is actually required or expected of him. I also have had doctors that don't say anything about my weight at all, but I have been skinny much of my life.

Old 05-02-2016, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo7396 View Post
I do have a doctor that encourages me to lose weight actually. Obesity is linked medically to various diseases. I value his input. But does he get paid for that service, I don't think it is actually required or expected of him. I also have had doctors that don't say anything about my weight at all, but I have been skinny much of my life.
So you need to lose weight but were skinny much of your life.

Frankly, I would appreciate an MD saying to me, lose some weight. I think most doctors fear saying that to patients to maybe lose a patient. I have a friend who is overweight and myself and a friend know she'd be much better off with less weight. But we keep quiet as we have a friendship and speaking out could damage our friendships.

We have an MD on the radio weekends and he does PRP and Stem Cells and tries to save people from surgery or try to help them after they've done surgery. The first thing he says to people when they call in about their joints....how old are you, how much do you weigh. So many are carrying so much extra weight and their joints know it.

A person knows if they are overweight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness