Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 07:45 AM

5,408 posts, read 3,605,299 times

Advertisements

my doctor is fat too, so what? I've never had any problems with my healthcare from that particular practice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2016, 08:01 AM

7,134 posts, read 12,672,910 times
OK, a terrific doc who happens to be overweight is fine -- but my doc's only solution to any health issue is a pill. That's my main gripe.

His weight is not the issue, I've come to realize but it's his method of treatment that's the sticking point for me. Cholesterol is a tad high? Here, take this pill. Zero discussion of diet -- or non-medication ways to lower.

Guess I expect too much. If he doesn't appear to practice good nutrition or portion control himself, I shouldn't expect him to offer any advice along those lines to me.

I'll follow your advice and pay out of pocket for a naturopath or nutritionist. The advice here seems to be I cannot expect--or get nutrition/life-style advice from a regular physician.

Having said that, I'll always be grateful to the doctor who sent me to the smoking cessation program. I owe her a huge debt. She left medicine after a while -- she told me she wanted to spend more time with patients but it had turned into a numbers game with the practice she was in -- and that wasn't her style of medicine. A big loss for her patients. I've never found anyone like her since.

For the poster who said they quit smoking 3 packs a day cold turkey -- that's great. You're strong. I'd tried several times by myself and failed. It took a month long program to help me quit. Guess I needed more support-- but ultimately successful for 20 years of being smoke-free.

Old 04-30-2016, 08:11 AM

1,433 posts, read 1,510,610 times
When I was a kid (way back when) we had a family doctor who was not only borderline obese, but he smoked cigarettes in his office and coughed like there was tomorrow. I still remember his name and I can still picture him.

He advised my mother to lose weight, too. That was a riot, considering she wasn't as overweight as he was!

Now I can't even find a family doctor; isn't that sad?

Old 04-30-2016, 08:16 AM

7,134 posts, read 12,672,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daynet View Post
When I was a kid (way back when) we had a family doctor who was not only borderline obese, but he smoked cigarettes in his office and coughed like there was tomorrow. I still remember his name and I can still picture him.

He advised my mother to lose weight, too. That was a riot, considering she wasn't as overweight as he was!

Now I can't even find a family doctor; isn't that sad?
Yep, it's sad and true...I live in a small town with a limited selection of PCP's who accept Medicare. Some who live here drive 3 hours away to get treatment/surgery from doc's associated with a teaching hospital.

Old 04-30-2016, 08:16 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,883,025 times
A lot of people don't want to hear anything about their weight or diet from their doctors and they expect pills to do it all for them. For those people, a doctor who just prescribes and doesn't lecture or offer advice might be ideal.

Also, you have no idea how your overweight doctor talks to his overweight patients. One of my doctors is overweight. I'm trying to lose weight. She knows this and offers advice to help me get to my goal. I keep going to her because she's the only doctor I've seen who was willing to discuss my weight before I had lost a lot of weight. Nobody else was willing to discuss the elephant in the room I guess they thought it would make me mad, when all I wanted was help to change. But this doctor is willing to discuss my weight and to get stern with me when I start getting off track and gaining weight back.

My sister is also overweight and she will only see overweight doctors. She actually managed to find a OB/GYN practice that was all overweight female doctors when she was looking for a doctor to deliver her baby. She wanted to make sure that if she had an emergency and had to see the doctor on call, that one was also overweight, because my sister didn't feel comfortable with a thin woman seeing her bare bottom. Seriously.

Old 04-30-2016, 08:59 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,909,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
OK, a terrific doc who happens to be overweight is fine -- but my doc's only solution to any health issue is a pill. That's my main gripe.

His weight is not the issue, I've come to realize but it's his method of treatment that's the sticking point for me. Cholesterol is a tad high? Here, take this pill. Zero discussion of diet -- or non-medication ways to lower.

Guess I expect too much. If he doesn't appear to practice good nutrition or portion control himself, I shouldn't expect him to offer any advice along those lines to me.

I'll follow your advice and pay out of pocket for a naturopath or nutritionist. The advice here seems to be I cannot expect--or get nutrition/life-style advice from a regular physician.

Having said that, I'll always be grateful to the doctor who sent me to the smoking cessation program. I owe her a huge debt. She left medicine after a while -- she told me she wanted to spend more time with patients but it had turned into a numbers game with the practice she was in -- and that wasn't her style of medicine. A big loss for her patients. I've never found anyone like her since.

For the poster who said they quit smoking 3 packs a day cold turkey -- that's great. You're strong. I'd tried several times by myself and failed. It took a month long program to help me quit. Guess I needed more support-- but ultimately successful for 20 years of being smoke-free.
Naturopaths have very little training in nutrition compared to someone who actually has a degree in the field of nutrition science. Ask your doc to refer you to someone who is a licensed dietitian.

Many doctors are extremely overworked and, unfortunately, don't have time to look after their own health. The issue starts in pre-med, is exacerbated in medical school and then just continues on afterwards.

Also, a big part of losing and maintain healthy weight is physical activity. You should see a certified professional for this also.

Old 04-30-2016, 09:07 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,381,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
You would think doctors would be "pictures of health" but most aren't. My own doctor is pudgy and pasty and never stops yawning. He looks extremely unhealthy to me. But I just worry about taking care of my own health. I only go there to get my lab results and prescriptions for metformin.
Seriously, now being "pasty" is unhealthy? I guess you haven't heard that it is EXTREMELY unhealthy to tan, whether in the sun or by using tanning beds. And many people are naturally fair-complected?

Oh, but you're diabetic? Well I SUPPOSE part of that may be genetic, and a small part behavioral that you can control? Don't throw stones...

Old 04-30-2016, 09:17 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,030,489 times
Quote:
Guess I'd like to see this doctor and his colleagues apply and practice that "Common Sense" for themselves.

I don't view nutrition/diet as " trivialities" as you do -- just the opposite. Guess we differ there.

Your doctor is the worse place to get this advice. You want diet and nutrition advice? Go see a dietician and/or nutritionist.

Old 04-30-2016, 10:41 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,764,479 times
Since you are limited to conventional allopathic doctors, refuse or take the pill(s) and do your own healing as best you can. That's allopathic medicine, scripts/pills. I take a couple meds: thyroid and BP and the rest supplements. I'm so happy to have an integrative MD who does take medicare. I'm seeing a D.O. next week as my daughter is getting good help from one here and we'll see if that D.O. can help my body compression... She can also write scripts but I'm good for a while with refills from my MD who is in the process of moving her practice. In life so much is location location location. We have many alternative "healers" in So. Cal.

As far is nutrition, there is SO MUCH info for us to grasp and don't need an MD for that help.

Someone mentioned doctors smoking, they endorsed smoking years ago.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 04-30-2016 at 11:35 AM..

Old 04-30-2016, 11:30 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,254,704 times
Quote:
I'm trying to come to grips with the fact that my primary care physician is fat. Very fat, in fact. His PA's are fat, too.

This thread puts me in mind of Dr. Andrew Weil on PBS-TV giving weight loss advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness