Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 01:11 PM

7,126 posts, read 12,667,756 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to come to grips with the fact that my primary care physician is fat. Very fat, in fact. His PA's are fat, too.

I never get asked/counseled about diet/nutrition/exercise. Or supplements. Or stress reduction.

It's difficult for me in this situation. I want more than prescriptions as I believe a lot of our ills come from diet/exercise/stress.

Thinking of switching to a more compatible medical practice.

Have you ever had this situation? Love to hear your thoughts. Trying not to be judgemental.

FYI...I am normal weight and do exercise ... good health except for HBP which is under control with meds...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 01:13 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Find a new Doctor and move on, it is obvious you are too distracted with your issues with these people and cannot get quality care.

Old 04-29-2016, 01:40 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
It would turn me off, shop around and it would be great to find integrative MD. To me a doctor should be a picture of good health. I try not be judgemental but it's hard not too. I have 3 bridge friends and like to play with them for the most part, but they are very overweight and fill up their desert plates and a couple take diabetic drugs... So many just can't/won't take control.

I don't need counseling as I have worked so long on my own health and love dr. google. I have given my integrative MD info over the years. They can't possibly know it all. But I agree the MD should have a healthy weight.

On my thyroid journey, I went to an endo and was so turned off with his huge body. This man had me drink a little glass of water and said "your thyroid is fine"....I ran out of his office.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 04-29-2016 at 01:55 PM..

Old 04-29-2016, 01:49 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,590,988 times
How much counseling do you need? It's all basic and common sense. You are willing to pay to hear trivialities and feel good horse manure? You better stick to that fat doc, because it is so hard to find anyone not spoofing trivial BS to disguise lack of knowledge or even basic competence. He's fat for his own reasons, not because he cannot load you up with bs. Wanna tonnes of trivial BS? I know some docs in Ohio who excell at that.

Old 04-29-2016, 01:55 PM

7,126 posts, read 12,667,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
How much counseling do you need? It's all basic and common sense. You are willing to pay to hear trivialities and feel good horse manure? You better stick to that fat doc, because it is so hard to find anyone not spoofing trivial BS to disguise lack of clue.
Guess I'd like to see this doctor and his colleagues apply and practice that "Common Sense" for themselves.

I don't view nutrition/diet as " trivialities" as you do -- just the opposite. Guess we differ there.

Old 04-29-2016, 02:09 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,590,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Guess I'd like to see this doctor and his colleagues apply and practice that "Common Sense" for themselves.

I don't view nutrition/diet as " trivialities" as you do -- just the opposite. Guess we differ there.
He's got his own priorities, perhaps even health issues, looking fit is not on his list. Again, if you cannot master trivial nutritional literacy on your own, there are cheaper ways. How much "counseling" do you need to avoid processed foods loaded with salt, sugars, fats and hard to pronounce chemicals? Nutrition and diets are trivialities, every quack with likable personality can make a fortune on it, the demand for "sophisticated miracle diets" defies common sense, each year people pay 20 billions+ for diet bs helping no one. It's a small price to pay for magic beans.

Old 04-29-2016, 02:18 PM

3,244 posts, read 6,300,862 times
Quote:
Having a very fat doctor is like having a poor financial advisor, a martial arts instructor that can't fight or a math tutor that flunked algebra. Find a doctor that understands health.

Are you familiar with the nutrition advice from Dr. Joel Fuhrman?

https://www.google.com/search?num=50...08.Bbf7YgsCGnM

Old 04-29-2016, 03:10 PM

958 posts, read 2,133,281 times
Quote:
I'm trying to come to grips with the fact that my primary care physician is fat. Very fat, in fact. His PA's are fat, too.

I never get asked/counseled about diet/nutrition/exercise. Or supplements. Or stress reduction.

It's difficult for me in this situation. I want more than prescriptions as I believe a lot of our ills come from diet/exercise/stress.

Thinking of switching to a more compatible medical practice.

Have you ever had this situation? Love to hear your thoughts. Trying not to be judgemental.

FYI...I am normal weight and do exercise ... good health except for HBP which is under control with meds...
I understand wanting to get or stay healthy however, you come off sounding like a snob. By the very words you chose to use you ARE judging this doctor and his practice.
You have the right to get a doctor that you feel comfortable with but judging others by your standards and or beliefs is just wrong.

Old 04-29-2016, 03:22 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
Excess fat is not healthy...is it?

Old 04-29-2016, 03:54 PM

958 posts, read 2,133,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Excess fat is not healthy...is it?
I know a man that is 5 feet 9 inches tall and weighs nearly 200 pounds. He has been overweight his entire life, played baseball and football in high school and baseball in college.
He runs five miles a day, six days a week and cannot get his weight down.
He has gone to several doctors to loose weight, he has been on supervised diets and weight lose programs but the most to come off is about eleven pounds.

He has been declared fit by three independent doctors.
I served with a man when I was in the Navy the same way. I don't know about this doctor but it does seem like it can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness