Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 09:50 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,358,901 times

Advertisements

I know a lot of people in their 70s and beyond living in two story (plus basement) houses because in my area, single story housing does not really exist and you will definitely not find first floor master bedrooms---though, if you live on the first floor of a multi-family, you'll at least have bedrooms/bathrooms down there. Even in those cases, there are usually stairs to get to that first level. But HAVING to go to the third floor to a bedroom every night---HMM.

That being said, it's completely dependent on the person and you never know what will happen to you, regardless of how fit you are, at any given time. You'll honestly just have to wait and see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 09:52 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nauxctrack View Post
We are not 50 just 30, but have a 3 story town home rental property one day we would love to move back into once the kids are out. If one was very fit, ie heavy weight lifting / conditioning all one's life, think CrossFit w a strength base, would it be unreasonable for one to live between say age 50-75ish in a 3 story home? Bedrooms on 3rd floor, laundry 1st, living room and kitchen 2nd floor.
You have twenty years in which a multitude of events could happen: major illness, broken bones, etc., that will leave your fit existence waylaid despite the very best of plans. Not worth the risk IMHO.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:02 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,580,323 times
You just can't predict everything.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:03 AM

2,053 posts, read 1,527,933 times
Quote:
We are not 50 just 30, but have a 3 story town home rental property one day we would love to move back into once the kids are out. If one was very fit, ie heavy weight lifting / conditioning all one's life, think CrossFit w a strength base, would it be unreasonable for one to live between say age 50-75ish in a 3 story home? Bedrooms on 3rd floor, laundry 1st, living room and kitchen 2nd floor.

It seems it would only aide in maintaining fitness into older age. We got an absolute killer deal on it and the surrounding area has sky rocketed into a central entertainment area w just about everything you could want in walking distance. I wish it was a 1 story as I love our single story house now, but there's nothing around us currently. Have you seen this done or would it be difficult even for fit people?
Will you be able to configure your house as you get older to adapt to the changing needs of your body? Will you be able to at least move a bedroom and kitchen to ground level? Can you get one of those chair lifts to attach to the stairs so you can sit down while it takes you up?

Things can happen at any age. You could have a car accident six months from now that leaves you with a broken leg- how will you manage to maneuver around the house?

Old 07-07-2017, 11:46 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
I am 85 and my wife is 87. Our home is a 3,700 sq. ft. 4 level home. Lowest level is what is known as a garden level, about half underground and half above ground. A main level, and two higher levels. There are 3 stairways to get between floors. We have solved the safety and ability to get between floors by installing 3 chairlifts (one on each set of stairs). No problems getting between floors and do it safely with those chair lifts. Without them, we would not be able to live in our home. With them, it is like it was a one story house. Just sit down in a chair and ride to the level you want and get off. Easy as that.

Old 07-07-2017, 11:58 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,997,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
A lot of those multilevel town homes are built with an elevator. It costs significantly less for it to be done during the building phase, so it's definitely a good consideration when house hunting if you think you might be in need of one.

My husband is an Orthopedic surgeon and many, if not most, of his patients are 50+ and have mobility issues. Almost anyone he does surgery on will have to be non-weightbearing for many weeks, which of course means they can't go up or down stairs. He says he often has conversations with patients who mention they are buying or selling a house, and he asks if their new home will be on one level, or have the Master on the first floor. Many answer No, and say it was never even a consideration of theirs when looking for a house. He also thinks all doorways on new builds should be wide enough to accommodate large wheelchairs for similar reasons.
Great suggestion on your last sentence.

When my wife and I bought our one story home it wasn't handicap friendly, but all doors were wide enough to accommodate a wheelchair.

Thus , I only needed a small ramp at front door and the master bedroom bathroom made into a walk in shower and it was all ready for the next year when my wife went from a walker to a wheelchair due to ALS.

Old 07-07-2017, 12:09 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,014,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I'd move in and enjoy it. If you find later on that it doesn't work for you, then figure out something else. It sounds sellable.
I would suggest this.
I am 60 and living in a 3 story townhouse like you describe and love it.
Heck, my 3 legged dog does fine with it too ..

I like that my bedrooms are all on a separate floor from the living area.

When the steps are too much for me I will move.

Old 07-07-2017, 12:13 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,014,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
We joke about hosing each other off in the backyard if we can't climb the stair any longer...
haha, or get a hot tub !!

Old 07-07-2017, 12:25 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,188,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post

Thus , I only needed a small ramp at front door and the master bedroom bathroom made into a walk in shower and it was all ready for the next year when my wife went from a walker to a wheelchair due to ALS.
My grandmother had ALS. Diagnosed around 1983 and lived until the age of 78 in 1997, so obviously, she had a slow progression of the disease. She had a high quality of life for many of years, needing only minimal accommodations at first (motorized chair to the basement etc), then living with my Aunt and Uncle in a 100 year old farmhouse, where they were able to convert what was originally the formal parlor into a bedroom for her. Somehow, even in that property, her standard sized wheelchair was able to maneuver through doors.

So much of these household accommodations really hinge on whether or not there is a bedroom or similarly sized room and a full bath on the first floor. If there is, it seems you can usually get by.

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 07-07-2017 at 12:37 PM..

Old 07-07-2017, 12:49 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:

It seems it would only aide in maintaining fitness into older age. We got an absolute killer deal on it and the surrounding area has sky rocketed into a central entertainment area w just about everything you could want in walking distance. I wish it was a 1 story as I love our single story house now, but there's nothing around us currently. Have you seen this done or would it be difficult even for fit people?
While you may be fit now, that doesn't mean you will stay fit or not have some health issue. I certainly wouldn't plan on retiring to a home that's 3 stories. I know many people who have bad knees, foot problems, breathing issues, etc long before 75! Even people who are active and fit end up with health issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness