Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 02:42 PM

39 posts, read 27,685 times

Advertisements

We are not 50 just 30, but have a 3 story town home rental property one day we would love to move back into once the kids are out. If one was very fit, ie heavy weight lifting / conditioning all one's life, think CrossFit w a strength base, would it be unreasonable for one to live between say age 50-75ish in a 3 story home? Bedrooms on 3rd floor, laundry 1st, living room and kitchen 2nd floor.

It seems it would only aide in maintaining fitness into older age. We got an absolute killer deal on it and the surrounding area has sky rocketed into a central entertainment area w just about everything you could want in walking distance. I wish it was a 1 story as I love our single story house now, but there's nothing around us currently. Have you seen this done or would it be difficult even for fit people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 02:53 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
It's hard to know where you'll be years down the road. I've read enough older people move out of their 2nd story houses and go for one level. You can sell once you've hit 50-60 but at 30 too early to know the future.

You never know where you joints will go down the road, and more heavy workouts can do a lot of damage. I know some who have gone that route.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 07-06-2017 at 03:23 PM..

Old 07-06-2017, 02:57 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
The older weight lifters I know all seem to have joint problems.

You might ask this question in the Retirement forum.

Old 07-06-2017, 03:27 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,979,734 times
It doesn't always depend on whether you are fit or not, some of it has to do with genes. We're in our late 60s. Arthritis doesn't run in my family, but it does in my husband's, so he has trouble climbing stairs, but I have no problems with stairs at all, can run up and down them all day long, so can my sisters.

Some elders have trouble climbing stairs due to obesity, COPD, imbalance, other health problems, some you can prevent, others you cannot.

I know a woman in her 80s who climbs 11 flights of stairs every day, has for many years.

Staying fit would certainly help tremendously, but there is no guarantee. You can always sell the place if it becomes a problem later in life.

Old 07-06-2017, 03:34 PM

39 posts, read 27,685 times
Yeah, I'm sensing it's probably not fully realistic even if we were capable of doing it by then. I'm just thinking of inflation over 20 years and the cost of houses around that same area and how we wouldn't be able to save as much as opposed to keeping the cheap town home.

Old 07-06-2017, 04:08 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,188,490 times
A lot of those multilevel town homes are built with an elevator. It costs significantly less for it to be done during the building phase, so it's definitely a good consideration when house hunting if you think you might be in need of one.

My husband is an Orthopedic surgeon and many, if not most, of his patients are 50+ and have mobility issues. Almost anyone he does surgery on will have to be non-weightbearing for many weeks, which of course means they can't go up or down stairs. He says he often has conversations with patients who mention they are buying or selling a house, and he asks if their new home will be on one level, or have the Master on the first floor. Many answer No, and say it was never even a consideration of theirs when looking for a house. He also thinks all doorways on new builds should be wide enough to accommodate large wheelchairs for similar reasons.

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 07-06-2017 at 04:47 PM..

Old 07-06-2017, 10:34 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,519,654 times
I'd move in and enjoy it. If you find later on that it doesn't work for you, then figure out something else. It sounds sellable.

Old 07-07-2017, 04:14 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
It's hard to know where you'll be years down the road. I've read enough older people move out of their 2nd story houses and go for one level. You can sell once you've hit 50-60 but at 30 too early to know the future.

You never know where you joints will go down the road, and more heavy workouts can do a lot of damage. I know some who have gone that route.
After living for the past 25 years in a multi level townhouse going up 2 flights of stairs to use the bathroom finally became such an inconvenience we moved to a new apartment where everything is on the same level. after spending the last 35 years lifting heavy objects for a living my knees are shot,back not so good, the heavy lifting did more to burn me out than it did to give me good health.

Old 07-07-2017, 07:37 AM

7,127 posts, read 12,670,656 times
Depends on lots of things. We're both on Medicare and our bedrooms are on the second floor, as are the two full baths.. So far we have no issues with the stairs. But I do wish we had a "Master/bath on the Main" for future needs. We have a half bath downstairs on the main level but would have to climb the stairs for a shower--a problem if there were mobility issues.

We think about that -- how to add full bath downstairs or moving to a single level in our very elderly years. But, so far, so good. Love our home/neighbors, so reluctant to move. Do our best to keep fit (gym goers and yoga) so hope we can age in place. We joke about hosing each other off in the backyard if we can't climb the stair any longer...

Old 07-07-2017, 09:44 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
After living for the past 25 years in a multi level townhouse going up 2 flights of stairs to use the bathroom finally became such an inconvenience we moved to a new apartment where everything is on the same level. after spending the last 35 years lifting heavy objects for a living my knees are shot,back not so good, the heavy lifting did more to burn me out than it did to give me good health.
I have a friend who knows his knees are shot from heavy weight lifting and squats. He's had knee replacement and shoulder replacement and has pain with both. He's probably 10 yrs younger than me but he did a lot of weights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness