Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 12:53 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,116,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nauxctrack View Post
We are not 50 just 30, but have a 3 story town home rental property one day we would love to move back into once the kids are out. If one was very fit, ie heavy weight lifting / conditioning all one's life, think CrossFit w a strength base, would it be unreasonable for one to live between say age 50-75ish in a 3 story home? Bedrooms on 3rd floor, laundry 1st, living room and kitchen 2nd floor.

It seems it would only aide in maintaining fitness into older age. We got an absolute killer deal on it and the surrounding area has sky rocketed into a central entertainment area w just about everything you could want in walking distance. I wish it was a 1 story as I love our single story house now, but there's nothing around us currently. Have you seen this done or would it be difficult even for fit people?
You are in Dreamland, if you think climbing stairs every 15-minutes is a plan when you are 60.

A home that causes exercise? Fit people? Tell that to your knees in 25-years!

Been there done that in my 30's. Couldn't wait to move to a one-level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 12:59 PM

10,889 posts, read 7,376,511 times
At the age of 92, my grandmother still lived alone on the 2nd story of her home (walk-up, no elevator) and walked to the grocery store 5 blocks away most days.

She's my inspiration.

I'm in my 60s, also live in a 2nd floor walk up. But I think our next home might just be single-level.

Old 07-07-2017, 01:05 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
We are not 50 just 30, but have a 3 story town home rental property one day we would love to move back into once the kids are out. If one was very fit, ie heavy weight lifting / conditioning all one's life, think CrossFit w a strength base, would it be unreasonable for one to live between say age 50-75ish in a 3 story home? Bedrooms on 3rd floor, laundry 1st, living room and kitchen 2nd floor.

It seems it would only aide in maintaining fitness into older age. We got an absolute killer deal on it and the surrounding area has sky rocketed into a central entertainment area w just about everything you could want in walking distance. I wish it was a 1 story as I love our single story house now, but there's nothing around us currently. Have you seen this done or would it be difficult even for fit people?
Looking back to when I was 50ish. of course you should be able to live in a 3 story townhouse and it would help keep your muscles in shape. With that, let me add, exercising and being in good shape at 30 can be very different than at 50. You can not control things like arthritis for starters or even heart trouble. Well you can do a lot to help prevent illness and disabilities but you can not guarantee how you will feel and for most, by the time you are about 60 a three level townhouse might be a little more than you want to handle. by 70 it will probably be way too much. There are people in their 80s that live in multi level homes and others at 40 that need one level.

The best thing for you is to stop even trying to figure out something like that when you have so many years left before you will be making such a decision. Also keep in mind that super desirable area today might be very different 20 years down the road or what you want in a home might be different by then.

Old 07-07-2017, 01:40 PM

924 posts, read 1,676,385 times
My parents are 75 and 73 years old. They have lived for the last 15 years in a three-story home and see no reason to move. They may put in an elevator at some point, but not yet. Honestly, part of what keeps my parents young is living where they love living. Their community is a tropical paradise with people of all ages and lots of activities and amenities.

Mom had knee surgery a few years ago. They set her up on the main floor during her recovery but, as soon as she was healed, she resumed living on three floors. She is not in good shape (overweight) but she manages to haul groceries upstairs, walk the dog many times a day, etc... Dad has arthritis but he works out, skis every winter and kayaks in the summer. We just got back from vacation with them where we went rafting and zip-lining.

One thing that helps with the stairs is thick carpeting. It's not shaggy, but it is very plush, so traction is excellent. When I'm there, I find it very easy to run up and down them or carry large items because my footing is sure (and I'm 51). So that would be my only recommendation, good carpeting on the stairs.

OP, you can always sell the place at some point in the future if your life changes, but don't sell just because you bet on yourself being too old by a certain date. It is said that to stay young, do as much as you can for as long as you can. I think that includes climbing stairs.

Old 07-07-2017, 02:32 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,099,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
The older weight lifters I know all seem to have joint problems.

My husband has been a weight lifter since the 1970s (he used to train with Ahnold in Venice Beach) and at 61 is still in excellent physical shape. We are running a half marathon together in October.

Weight lifting is actually better for you than any of the impact sports. I would venture to say long time weight lifters have less problems than most. Osteoporosis for one off the top of my head.

Old 07-07-2017, 02:36 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,020,110 times
If you really like the house, then looking into chair lifts or an elevator at some point may be an idea. Wouldn't be a bad idea even if you're in good health in case you get a sprained ankle or some such.

Old 07-07-2017, 03:05 PM

19,015 posts, read 27,574,271 times
Quote:

I am the type described as fit in your post. We live in a 2 story vaulted house. I have no problem running stairs at 62.

Old 07-07-2017, 03:16 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times
I know my mom and dad both had enough falls in their two story and basement house in the east. Glad I live in a little apt just about at street level...no steps to climb. If I had steps to climb at this point with my knee issue, I'd really really be in trouble.

I met people in the rehabs who had to go home to their homes and upstairs apts and learn how to climb them with their joint issues.

Old 07-07-2017, 03:19 PM

25,948 posts, read 22,098,104 times
So many variables to consider. We, at 62, just moved out of a 2 story house with basement. We were doing it, but looking to the future, it didn't really make sense. We know many older people who end up with house that isn't livable and/or difficult to impossible to sell. Looking 20 years into the future to age 50 and going another, how many you think you have left, too many variables. Also, you may very well change your mind about what you want over the next 20 years, I would almost bet on that being the case.

Old 07-07-2017, 03:55 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,952,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I have a friend who knows his knees are shot from heavy weight lifting and squats. He's had knee replacement and shoulder replacement and has pain with both. He's probably 10 yrs younger than me but he did a lot of weights.
This is where a lot of CrossFit fanatics are going to be 20 and 30 years from now. But not a single one believes it. They think they're bullet-proof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness