Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2020, 05:32 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,943,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Does the patient not have any responsibility at all? If you want to know, ask.

My pharmacy dispenses a patient information sheet with every prescription, even some I have taken for years. Doesn't yours? Did you know your pharmacist will also be happy to answer questions?

Not to mention that the internet has easy access to drug info. There is no reason for anyone not to know about any prescribed drug these days.
Answer the question. You deflected and didn't answer it.

I did ask when she wanted to give me Cipro. She had no idea about the warning. Literally NO IDEA. Like NO IDEA AT ALL about the black box warning.

Should I also brush up on my surgery skills so I can interrogate the surgeon about which technique he will use and why?

So I will ask again: Do doctors EVER have accountability? Or is it just open game on their patients?

Answer the question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2020, 05:42 PM

17,571 posts, read 13,350,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Tenon rupture is a pretty rare occurrence-- It only occurs in about 2 out of every 100,000 people....It is minimally more common in those who take fluoroquinolones (like Cipro). ...But there is a close temporal relationship in taking the antibiotic and developing the problem (most get it within one week of taking the med) so the likelihood of a cause & effect relationship is increased....It's hard to prove such a relationship in such rare situations...The "Black Box" thing has more to do with lawyers than doctors. https://independentmedicalexperts.co...pathy-rupture/

The risk of that problem is so low that no one should avoid the med when properly indicated, except those with a history of tendon ruptures.

This thread was originally about Cipro risk and diverticulitis....Let's see now-- risk of tendonitis from treatment-- 2 in 100,000.....Risk of perforation, peritonitis, obstruction, sepsis from no treatment--thousands & thousands every year. https://www.aafp.org/afp/2013/0501/p612.html

You make the call.

Amen! Science beats anecdotes anytime! Well said

Old 08-26-2020, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post

I did ask when she wanted to give me Cipro. She had no idea about the warning. Literally NO IDEA. Like NO IDEA AT ALL about the black box warning.

Should I also brush up on my surgery skills so I can interrogate the surgeon about which technique he will use and why?

So I will ask again: Do doctors EVER have accountability? Or is it just open game on their patients?

Answer the question.

No, most doctors have no idea! (Hell, they have no idea about cost either)

That's my job as a pharmacist to counsel patients about the drugs that they are buying. And, if I'm busy, or on the phone or patient waives me off and says "I don't need counseling" that's why there is a handout with every prescription.

Bottom line, it really is up to the customer to look out for their own health and welfare. The black box info is theor in black and white for the patient.

Old 08-26-2020, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
No, most doctors have no idea! (Hell, they have no idea about cost either)

That's my job as a pharmacist to counsel patients about the drugs that they are buying. And, if I'm busy, or on the phone or patient waives me off and says "I don't need counseling" that's why there is a handout with every prescription.

Bottom line, it really is up to the customer to look out for their own health and welfare. The black box info is theor in black and white for the patient.
So I need to buy the drug first because my doctor is an idiot? And then if at the pharmacy, the pharmacists decides to tell me, I may or may not understand. And then I would have to go BACK to the doctor to get another prescription if I decide it's not worth the risk to me?

Really?

Do doctors EVER have accountability?

Nope. Not to those on this thread who WORSHIP THEM.

So if I'm responsible and ONLY ME is responsible for my own health ... why are you so against those who seek independent information?

If it's up to ME to inform MYSELF .. then I ultimately know MORE than my doctor. Since my call? Is the most importance and the one that matters, per your above response.

Listen to yourself. NOT YOUR DOCTOR.

Which is why there are so many people on this board who are for alternative medicine. You just 100% supported their position.

PS. you do realize you posted that you sold PT equipment and devices for 20 years as a traveling salesman, right?

Old 08-26-2020, 06:13 PM

37,112 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:

Answer the question.
Sure doctors have accountability.

They could spend the entire office visit with you reading off the patient information about each drug they prescribe, including one in a million risks, or they can write a script and the pharmacist will provide you with the information for you to read yourself.

If your doctor is that poorly informed you need a new doctor.

Old 08-26-2020, 06:15 PM

37,112 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
So I need to buy the drug first because my doctor is an idiot? And then if at the pharmacy, the pharmacists decides to tell me, I may or may not understand. And then I would have to go BACK to the doctor to get another prescription if I decide it's not worth the risk to me?

Really?

Do doctors EVER have accountability?

Nope. Not to those on this thread who WORSHIP THEM.

So if I'm responsible and ONLY ME is responsible for my own health ... why are you so against those who seek independent information?

If it's up to ME to inform MYSELF .. then I ultimately know MORE than my doctor. Since my call? Is the most importance and the one that matters, per your above response.

Listen to yourself. NOT YOUR DOCTOR.

Which is why there are so many people on this board who are for alternative medicine. You just 100% supported their position.

PS. you do realize you posted that you sold PT equipment and devices for 20 years as a traveling salesman, right?
All you have to do is ask the pharmacist for the patient information sheet before you pay for the medication.

Old 08-26-2020, 07:30 PM

Quote:
All you have to do is ask the pharmacist for the patient information sheet before you pay for the medication.

Old 08-26-2020, 10:27 PM

5,425 posts, read 3,490,487 times
Quote:
When I get a drug I have to sign a form indicating that I accepted or rejected counseling from the pharmacist. Every single time I get a drug.

Old 08-27-2020, 05:58 AM

Quote:
And what if you don't speak the language?
Have poor reading skills?
Your pharmacist doesn't have the sheet?

Excuse after excuse after excuse. Doctors can do whatever they want, every provide misinformation to patients and you are 100% OK with it.

Old 08-27-2020, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
When I get a drug I have to sign a form indicating that I accepted or rejected counseling from the pharmacist. Every single time I get a drug.
No pharmacist has ever asked me if I have any questions. Ever.But they do have that little pop up in the payment window that you have to sign.

I mean who would want to discuss their herpes medication at the pharmacy checkout while 8 other people are waiting for their medications and can hear every word?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness