Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2020, 12:29 PM

530 posts, read 175,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt-lover L.A.M. View Post
My advice:
--Avoid those infected as much as possible.
--If you can't completely avoid them, at least don't touch them, share a bed with them nor stay with them for extended periods.
--Disinfect the parts of the house you'll spend the most time in. Clean your phone, headset, keyboard, etc. (but NOT with water!). Wash your hands after leaving any non-disinfected part of the house.
--Replace all toothbrushes once the contagion passes.
--Wash your hands every two hours, after using the bathroom (you should do this anyways!), after touching soil and before eating.
--Shower daily while the contagion lasts, as opposed to 3-4 times a week normally.
--If you're seeing (a) friend(s) and/or your romantic partner, plan to do it somewhere that isn't your home if possible.
My word, that's a lot of work! I find it a lot easier and effective to just follow commonsense cleanliness routines and take the appropriate supplements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
I agree.

Do average people really get sick THAT often?!?!

At least in Europe, according to the Conclusion part of the study that CarnivalGal shared:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5949172/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2020, 02:18 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abderian View Post
My word, that's a lot of work! I find it a lot easier and effective to just follow commonsense cleanliness routines and take the appropriate supplements.

At least in Europe, according to the Conclusion part of the study that CarnivalGal shared:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5949172/
I clicked that link which brought me to:
Hindawi
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine Volume 2018, Article ID 5813095, 36 pages https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/5813095
Self-Care for Common Colds: The Pivotal Role of Vitamin D, Vitamin C, Zinc, and Echinacea in Three Main Immune Interactive Clusters (Physical Barriers, Innate and Adaptive Immunity) Involved during an Episode of Common Colds—Practical Advice on Dosages and on the Time to Take These Nutrients/Botanicals in order to Prevent or Treat Common Colds
Mariangela Rondanelli ,1 Alessandra Miccono,1 Silvia Lamburghini,1 et al.

The above journal article used 1 reference as support for those figures. So I went to that reference:
Public Health and Budget Impact of Probiotics on Common Respiratory Tract Infections: A Modelling Study
Irene Lenoir-Wijnkoop , Laetitia Gerlier, Jean-Louis Bresson, Claude Le Pen, Gilles Berdeaux
Published: April 10, 2015https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0122765

The above journal article used 2 references. So I went to those references:
Eccles R. Understanding the symptoms of the common cold and influenza.
The Lancet Infectious Diseases 2005; 5, 718–725. pmid:16253889
Could not find a free version.

Simasek M1, Blandino DA.
Treatment of the common cold.
Am Fam Physician. 2007 Feb 15;75(4):515-20.
I found this:
"The common cold is caused by various respiratory viruses, most commonly a rhinovirus. Adults have an average of two to four episodes annually, and young children may have as many as six to eight episodes."

The above journal article (Simasek) used 1 reference. So I went to that reference:
National Ambulatory Medical Care Survey:
2004 Summary
by Esther Hing, M.P.H.; Donald K. Cherry, M.S.; and David A. Woodwell, B.A., Division of Health Care Statistics
Which lists a whole bunch of stats for all source of office visits. And I don't care enough to parse through pages and pages of data. But there isn't a source that outright supports the 2-5 illness for adults and 6-12 illnesses for kids. /shrug/

Have to find that primary source.

Old 01-08-2020, 03:07 PM

3,438 posts, read 2,409,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
I clicked that link which brought me to:
Hindawi
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine Volume 2018, Article ID 5813095, 36 pages https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/5813095
Self-Care for Common Colds: The Pivotal Role of Vitamin D, Vitamin C, Zinc, and Echinacea in Three Main Immune Interactive Clusters (Physical Barriers, Innate and Adaptive Immunity) Involved during an Episode of Common Colds—Practical Advice on Dosages and on the Time to Take These Nutrients/Botanicals in order to Prevent or Treat Common Colds
Mariangela Rondanelli ,1 Alessandra Miccono,1 Silvia Lamburghini,1 et al.

The above journal article used 1 reference as support for those figures. So I went to that reference:
Public Health and Budget Impact of Probiotics on Common Respiratory Tract Infections: A Modelling Study
Irene Lenoir-Wijnkoop , Laetitia Gerlier, Jean-Louis Bresson, Claude Le Pen, Gilles Berdeaux
Published: April 10, 2015https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0122765

The above journal article used 2 references. So I went to those references:
Eccles R. Understanding the symptoms of the common cold and influenza.
The Lancet Infectious Diseases 2005; 5, 718–725. pmid:16253889
Could not find a free version.

Simasek M1, Blandino DA.
Treatment of the common cold.
Am Fam Physician. 2007 Feb 15;75(4):515-20.
I found this:
"The common cold is caused by various respiratory viruses, most commonly a rhinovirus. Adults have an average of two to four episodes annually, and young children may have as many as six to eight episodes."

The above journal article (Simasek) used 1 reference. So I went to that reference:
National Ambulatory Medical Care Survey:
2004 Summary
by Esther Hing, M.P.H.; Donald K. Cherry, M.S.; and David A. Woodwell, B.A., Division of Health Care Statistics
Which lists a whole bunch of stats for all source of office visits. And I don't care enough to parse through pages and pages of data. But there isn't a source that outright supports the 2-5 illness for adults and 6-12 illnesses for kids. /shrug/

Have to find that primary source.
Just go around your neighborhood and ask all your neighbors. You'll probably find that your entire neighborhood falls within that published average.

Old 01-08-2020, 06:40 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Just go around your neighborhood and ask all your neighbors. You'll probably find that your entire neighborhood falls within that published average.
I highly doubt that. No offense. This is FL. The whole cold season/flu season nonsense doesn't apply here, no matter how much they try to make it apply. I don't know any adults that get sick 2-5 times a year. And as far as kids that get sick 6-12 times a year? Well, there are 2 camps: those kids who are always sick and the kids who are never sick.

Anyway, the stats seemed skewed to me. And I could not trace them back to an original source. /shrug/

Old 01-08-2020, 07:15 PM

1,781 posts, read 1,207,649 times
People at work easily call in "sick" 2-5 times a year, or more! Of course, they may not actually be sick . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness