Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2020, 01:15 PM

493 posts, read 514,838 times

Advertisements

In the wild, in nature; the old, weak and sick are the first to die. The gene pool then gets strengthened.

We humans are no exception. Why are we messing with what we can't conquer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2020, 01:29 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,959,283 times
We are not in nature. We are in civilization, big difference. We are not killing and eating each other. We are not killing the old and the weak to strengthen the gene pool. We humans are an exception. We have mitigated the effects of illness and disease in many ways through medicine. Illnesses that were fatal a few decades ago are now survivable and can be managed for years. We can't conquer death, but we can prolong life.

Old 03-20-2020, 01:58 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmexman View Post
In the wild, in nature; the old, weak and sick are the first to die. The gene pool then gets strengthened.

IMHO the response to Covid-19 isn't intending to eradicate it (that's impossible...its now out there until if/when it mutates further), but manage it so it doesn't overwhelm the social systems humans use. If we don't attempt to manage the course of disease, spread out the peak, it will create secondary health crises and compound the worldwide problem in much uglier ways.

Believe me, I appreciate what you are saying about allowing the weak and sick to be culled in order to keep a population stronger. Problem is, we don't have any idea whether allowing this virus to thin the herd will select for a healthier population. Everyone's in kneejerk reaction mode. Not much long range thinking going on. Right now the virus is supposedly "novel" enough to Homo sapiens that it doesn't suit its host very well. It kills indiscriminately; healthy as well as weak. A successful "educated" virus doesn't kill every host. Education takes time. Ironically, by slowing down the cascade of viral transmission we may be buying the virus time.

Then of course there's the problem of demanding that humans subject themselves to a basic law of evolution; allow the sick/weak to be culled for the good of the group. People have had a long history of rejecting eugenics. Don't see that changing anytime soon do you? If you want to volunteer, be my guest. Didn't think so!

Old 03-20-2020, 03:05 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,977,890 times
Quote:

F* that. I'm old, but I'm not done living yet.

If you want to sacrifice yourself for the good of the human race, step right up.

Old 03-20-2020, 03:10 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,651,220 times
The OP is saying that what nature does is inevitable - no point in fighting it - as we can see, fighting it isn't working in Italy. Some people with compromised immune systems or underlying health conditions will succumb. That is just what is happening - no need to deny it by fussing over it.

That our healthcare systems can't handle it is another issue all-together.

Everyone should be prepared to die at any time (in theory), because death is inevitable. It is not an abstract "bad thing."

Old 03-20-2020, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
F* that. I'm old, but I'm not done living yet.

If you want to sacrifice yourself for the good of the human race, step right up.
Except that's not up to you to decide, I don't think.

People get sick.

People die.

Even if/when they don't want to.

Old 03-20-2020, 03:42 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post

People get sick.

People die.

So we should stop sheltering in place and go about our daily business all the while infecting or becoming infected because it's natural? Are you out of your mind?

Old 03-20-2020, 03:44 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,977,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post

People get sick.

People die.

Oh my gawd. I'm not going out in the world and purposely expose myself to a pandemic, and that is certainly up to me to decide.

Lay down and die if you want to, but don't tell me I have to.

Old 03-20-2020, 05:07 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:

Don't all animals practice self-defense and self-protection for themselves, their young, and even their "social group"? Why would humans be an exception?!

Old 03-20-2020, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Don't all animals practice self-defense and self-protection for themselves, their young, and even their "social group"? Why would humans be an exception?!
Animals can't protect anyone from dying, and neither can we (and we ARE animals, which most people forget because of the Bible saying that people have dominion over "animals").
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness