Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2020, 08:29 AM

50,820 posts, read 36,527,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Im amazed they still allow cigarettes to be sold!!!

Even Walgreens STILL sells cigarettes!!! and their motto is 'be healthy'? LOL I dont see how they justify this?
They sell a lot of unhealthy things. Go down the cookie aisle. They are a business, they sell what people want to buy. Is it really going to be helpful to go the route of other drugs and have people go on the black market to buy them? And then build up a big illegal business for cigarettes because you can’t get them legally? Because that’s worked so well when it comes to drugs? Because it worked so well when we prohibited alcohol?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2020, 04:31 PM

10,095 posts, read 6,439,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
They sell a lot of unhealthy things. Go down the cookie aisle. They are a business, they sell what people want to buy. Is it really going to be helpful to go the route of other drugs and have people go on the black market to buy them? And then build up a big illegal business for cigarettes because you can’t get them legally? Because that’s worked so well when it comes to drugs? Because it worked so well when we prohibited alcohol?
Right! It's the same thing as CVS selling cookies, candy, and soda. It's up to the individual consumer to take at least a modicum of responsibility for their own health and not buy products like these - and cigarettes - that are deleterious to their own health.

Old 07-19-2020, 10:34 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,608,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Right! It's the same thing as CVS selling cookies, candy, and soda. It's up to the individual consumer to take at least a modicum of responsibility for their own health and not buy products like these - and cigarettes - that are deleterious to their own health.
Usually, when products are found to be dangerous, deadly, they restrict access to them right off the bat.

I remember when 'mini thin' diet/energy pills used to be sold at nearly every gas station back in the early 90s, as soon as people started abusing them and deaths were attributed to the product, they were pulled off the shelf, and access was restricted.

Same thing more recently with 'bath salts', once it was discovered people were abusing them and the dangers became apparent, they were pulled off the shelves and access was restricted.

And those posters who mentioned drug stores selling cookies and candy, there is a huge difference between those products and cigarettes, they can be used in in moderation safely, there is no safe amount of tobacco use.

'MONEY' is also not the reason, as plenty of people were raking in BILLIONS when opioid prescription drugs were being handed out like candy...Govt acted VERY quick to restrict access on those!

Old 07-19-2020, 11:10 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,386,025 times
Quote:
Usually, when products are found to be dangerous, deadly, they restrict access to them right off the bat.

I remember when 'mini thin' diet/energy pills used to be sold at nearly every gas station back in the early 90s, as soon as people started abusing them and deaths were attributed to the product, they were pulled off the shelf, and access was restricted.

Same thing more recently with 'bath salts', once it was discovered people were abusing them and the dangers became apparent, they were pulled off the shelves and access was restricted.

And those posters who mentioned drug stores selling cookies and candy, there is a huge difference between those products and cigarettes, they can be used in in moderation safely, there is no safe amount of tobacco use.

'MONEY' is also not the reason, as plenty of people were raking in BILLIONS when opioid prescription drugs were being handed out like candy...Govt acted VERY quick to restrict access on those!
Yes, if cigarettes had been banned back in the 1920's think how many fewer deaths there would be! And so many fewer cases of COPD and general addiction.

OP - you seem oddly distant from the impact on yourself...or might you have just started smoking anyway with bootlegged cigs?

Old 07-20-2020, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Yes, if cigarettes had been banned back in the 1920's think how many fewer deaths there would be! And so many fewer cases of COPD and general addiction.

OP - you seem oddly distant from the impact on yourself...or might you have just started smoking anyway with bootlegged cigs?
No, I wouldnt have been able to afford it if the only way to obtain cigs was on the street/bootleg...prices skyrocket when there is alot of risk involved.

Old 07-20-2020, 09:21 AM

Quote:
No, I wouldnt have been able to afford it if the only way to obtain cigs was on the street/bootleg...prices skyrocket when there is alot of risk involved.
How much risk would be involved buying cigarettes illegally? Was there a lot of risk for you when you bought pot as a teenager? There wasn’t any risks for me, we bought it from other students or friends of other students, or strangers in an arcade, but we certainly weren’t dealing with gangs or anything. Actually, prices would probably decrease if they were illegal because most of the cost of a pack of cigarettes is the state taxes. Just like legal pot cost more than black market pot because of the taxes.

Old 07-20-2020, 09:28 AM

Quote:
How much risk would be involved buying cigarettes illegally? Was there a lot of risk for you when you bought pot as a teenager? There wasn’t any risks for me, we bought it from other students or friends of other students, or strangers in an arcade, but we certainly weren’t dealing with gangs or anything. Actually, prices would probably decrease if they were illegal because most of the cost of a pack of cigarettes is the state taxes. Just like legal pot cost more than black market pot because of the taxes.
Oh yes, there was risk in buying pot in those days!

Police were targeting pot pretty aggressively in the late 80s to mid 90s, I remember this VERY well.

The high prices of 'street drugs' are high only because of the RISK involved in their distribution and sale, when I got clean from heroin, it was averaging $120-150 per gram, (that is higher than gold)!! but looking at heroin purely as a substance, its very cheap to manufacture and produce...in reality, it should be very cheap to purchase.

'legal pot' is more quasi legal actually, wont see the prices come down until it is legal on the national level.

The same thing happened before/after alcohol prohibition, look at the prices of booze before/after prohibition.

Old 07-20-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Oh yes, there was risk in buying pot in those days!

Police were targeting pot pretty aggressively in the late 80s to mid 90s, I remember this VERY well.

The high prices of 'street drugs' are high only because of the RISK involved in their distribution and sale, when I got clean from heroin, it was averaging $120-150 per gram, (that is higher than gold)!! but looking at heroin purely as a substance, its very cheap to manufacture and produce...in reality, it should be very cheap to purchase.

'legal pot' is more quasi legal actually, wont see the prices come down until it is legal on the national level.

The same thing happened before/after alcohol prohibition, look at the prices of booze before/after prohibition.
I never encountered any issues buying pot personally. It did get worse in the 80s, with Reagan and the war on drugs in full swing, but I think it affected minority communities more than most. I had many friends who sold pot, and I don't know any of them that went to jail. Legal pot is always going to be expensive because the taxes are always going to be high.In New Jersey's discussions about legalization,The legislature Wanted a 10% tax, which would have been the lowest in the country. The governor wanted it to be even higher, which is one of the reasons we still don't have legal part yet even though voters said yes to it at the ballot. The legislatures argument was that the higher you make the tax, the less of a dent you make in an illegal pot market, because it's cheaper to buy it without the tax.

Old 07-21-2020, 11:20 AM

Quote:
I never encountered any issues buying pot personally. It did get worse in the 80s, with Reagan and the war on drugs in full swing, but I think it affected minority communities more than most. I had many friends who sold pot, and I don't know any of them that went to jail. Legal pot is always going to be expensive because the taxes are always going to be high.In New Jersey's discussions about legalization,The legislature Wanted a 10% tax, which would have been the lowest in the country. The governor wanted it to be even higher, which is one of the reasons we still don't have legal part yet even though voters said yes to it at the ballot. The legislatures argument was that the higher you make the tax, the less of a dent you make in an illegal pot market, because it's cheaper to buy it without the tax.
Pot is not really 'legal' YET...some states have legalized it, but its unlikely to ever change at the federal level, until that happens, its 'semi legal', in addition to the high taxes, there are all kinds of various restrictions and regulations placed on pot dealers in those states that have legalized it.

Alcohol is the perfect example, during prohibition, when alcohol was illegal, booze was very expensive, thats because of the risk involved in procuring it, transporting and selling it, those caught risked arrest and jail time...of course, once prohibition ended, the high prices went away, why...because there was no longer any risk involved.

I had some friends busted with a couple pounds of pot in the early 90s, the cops found it at a traffic stop, they were arrested, one got 5 yrs and the other went on the lam and moved out of state, (started using a different name, etc)...he never did get caught either!

Old 07-21-2020, 11:35 AM

2,234 posts, read 2,407,216 times
I think any type of cigarettes are bad...even e-cigarettes. My mom had a small stroke a couple of weeks ago and she has smoked her entire adult life. Luckily, the stroke only affected her balance and she's expected to make a full recovery... She's only in her 50's... I think this is the final wakeup call she needed to stop... She's doing it cold turkey and I truly hope she stops for good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness