Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2021, 08:41 AM

6,030 posts, read 3,745,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Sure OP, you can do whatever you want to with your own body. And...don't think there won't be consequences so weigh those carefully. Other folks/family/whatever have their opinions about wanting to be around or near someone who hasn't had the vaccine. You may not get to do some things like travel or have certain medical procedures, etc. You can dig your heels in and do whatever but expect others to react accordingly.
Your post points out the flawed logic among those who get the vaccine and then are reluctant to be around others who have not had the vaccine. Why did they get the vaccine if they didn't think it was going to protect them? If they truly believe that it will protect them, then why do they even care what someone else does or doesn't do?

Sounds to me like the ones getting the vaccine are the ones who are scared and subject to "group think" and "herd mentality" while the ones who are still weighing their options and observing what is happening to others are the independent thinkers.

The argument about fear of needles is a red herring as far as most people are concerned. I have no fear at all of needles and have taken many different types of shots. It's what's IN the shot and the potential risk/danger from getting the illness versus the vaccine's potential safety and efficacy that I consider before taking ANY shot.

Those who are trying to shame friends and family into getting the vaccine are, IMO, insecure and uncertain and want others to do as they have done in order to better reassure them that they made the right decision.

Old 03-05-2021, 08:44 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,082,666 times
OP, you need to have a talk with your wife. I do not blame anyone for skeptically approaching something that is injected into their body - vaccine or otherwise. If people want to take the vaccine, cool, but they need to get over the superiority-complex.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Your post points out the flawed logic among those who get the vaccine and then are reluctant to be around others who have not had the vaccine. Why did they get the vaccine if they didn't think it was going to protect them? If they truly believe that it will protect them, then why do they even care what someone else does or doesn't do?

Sounds to me like the ones getting the vaccine are the ones who are scared and subject to "group think" and "herd mentality" while the ones who are still weighing their options and observing what is happening to others are the independent thinkers.

The argument about fear of needles is a red herring as far as most people are concerned. I have no fear at all of needles and have taken many different types of shots. It's what's IN the shot and the potential risk/danger from getting the illness versus the vaccine's potential safety and efficacy that I consider before taking ANY shot.

Those who are trying to shame friends and family into getting the vaccine are, IMO, insecure and uncertain and want others to do as they have done in order to better reassure them that they made the right decision.
Well said!

Old 03-05-2021, 08:46 AM

10,908 posts, read 7,406,054 times
I want the vaccine, but am not quite old enough to qualify.
My husband (who is even younger) keeps pushing me to lie about my age to get an appointment. I don't want to show up and be turned away.

So I get where you're coming from; it's a annoying, at least, when someone pushes you to do something you disagree with.

But your wife and my husband are both coming from a good place; they want us to be protected.

Old 03-05-2021, 09:00 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,010,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Or she just wants you to be safe and healthy. Though with a husband who refers to vaccinations as "hype" and his wife as some kind of chump, maybe she's just tired of your baloney.
We all know the vaccine is completely 100% safe and no one has ever had any side effects, nor will they ever. It's because big pharma tells us so and they're 100% objective and trustworthy... oh wait.

Old 03-05-2021, 09:09 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,683,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
We all know the vaccine is completely 100% safe and no one has ever had any side effects, nor will they ever. It's because big pharma tells us so and they're 100% objective and trustworthy... oh wait.
No one has indicated that it is 100% safe, and it has always been clear that there are some side effects. However, generally the side effects are less severe than actually getting the virus and having possible after-effects that go on for months.

Old 03-05-2021, 09:18 AM

2,176 posts, read 1,326,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
This isn't a medical question, but a political one. There would never have been a question about getting the vaccine or wearing masks if the country had not become so politically polarized. It is up to you whether you want to look at it as a medical/health issue or stand up for your so called freedom of choice.
Just to be fair to the OP I want to mention that the “polarization” on the issue is not only due to politics and not only in the US: the vaccines hesitancy is manifesting itself everywhere in the world today.
Maybe tomorrow it would not be so much.

Some people just may need a little bit more time to make a decision regarding their healthcare.

Not everyone who has a bad knee is choosing the knee replacement surgery due to multiple reasons.

We should not try to make it political.
Hope we are still free to make up our mind here.
Being open with data and facts beats a blind assurance all the time for some people.

Last edited by Nik4me; 03-05-2021 at 10:02 AM..

Old 03-05-2021, 09:32 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,655,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy_C View Post
Talk to her and let her know how you feel.
Feelings are 100% irrelevant. The only things that matter are data and science.

Old 03-05-2021, 09:32 AM

1,386 posts, read 1,000,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
I'm not getting the vaccine unless I am forced to do so by my job and/or government. I got COVID, and it was at best a three day cold that was a minor annoyance and gave me 2 and a half weeks of staying at home while getting paid...
Wow, we should all be so lucky.

--

Old 03-05-2021, 09:34 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,010,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
No one has indicated that it is 100% safe, and it has always been clear that there are some side effects. However, generally the side effects are less severe than actually getting the virus and having possible after-effects that go on for months.
Right, I'm just advocating for people to have a choice and not be judged for choosing one way or the other. Everyone should be free to get the vaccine and if they don't want to then they should have that choice. If you want to risk getting covid (like I already have) versus getting vaccinated then that should be able to. In certain places (Israel for example), you have no choice, unless you basically don't want to have a life. I'm confident the US will follow suit in time.

Old 03-05-2021, 09:34 AM

3,445 posts, read 2,420,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
He should have talked to her about his feelings before the vaccine ever became available. His health care is HIS choice, not his wife's, let alone her family's. We have a friend who has been an RN for 25 years and is taking a wait and see stance. She is not alone in her view.

Shaming is not going to work. I would take that as having a superiority complex over others. They would get into fight with me. My body. My choice. My family knows this and leaves me alone. They cannot shame me into going to a doctor for a physical let alone a vaccination.
Shaming is definitely not going to work.

If I had the means and it was my husband pulling that crap, I'd tell him fine - he needs to decide if he will live in his own apartment somewhere else, or will he live with me in an apartment somewhere else. Until the CDC says all is well. No visitations, no divorce, no nothin. He can isolate until the CDC gives the all clear.

He wouldn't be allowed anywhere near me or MY family, until then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness