Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2022, 02:59 PM

2,058 posts, read 1,668,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I am going to get the Flu shot around early/mid-October too. Hopefully the updated boosters’ effectiveness doesn’t wane, but the reason I’m waiting to get the updated booster is based on the thought that the effectiveness might wane a little over time (like the previous versions). If that’s the case I want to maximize the period that the booster is at peak effectiveness during the winter months, where there’s sure to be a surge.

That's my thinking as well. I got the 2 original Moderna shots but no boosters. I got sick as heck from the second Modera shot and had no desire to get a booster, especially when the virus was becoming less and less like the original strain. Covid has been swirling all around me and, knock on wood, I haven't gotten it so I feel no urgency. In fact, at this point in time I know only a few other people besides myself that have not gotten covid. Since the new booster targets the strains currently out there I'll get it but will wait a bit.

Old 09-14-2022, 04:43 PM

1,555 posts, read 781,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Personally I would not get both shots on the same day

But I caught what was probably Omicrom variety in July—so will get my flu shot w/o another Covid booster
I thought about that then figured I don’t want to be down twice. Come to find out this was not as bad as my second and third Covid shot and this even includes flu shot. I am about 90% recovered.

Old 09-14-2022, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I am going to get the Flu shot around early/mid-October too. Hopefully the updated boosters’ effectiveness doesn’t wane, but the reason I’m waiting to get the updated booster is based on the thought that the effectiveness might wane a little over time (like the previous versions). If that’s the case I want to maximize the period that the booster is at peak effectiveness during the winter months, where there’s sure to be a surge.
Updated booster has no time limit to how long it is suppose to last. We may not even have another Covid shot. I think it will be a yearly thing from now on. H1N1 is still included in flu shot since 2009.

Old 09-14-2022, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
I'm not getting this booster because our work doesn't give us any time off for it besides having to use our sick points. On the other hand if I actually get covid I get five straight days from the time of my positive test off so basically the corporation where I work is rewarding me for getting the virus.

If the government wanted to encourage vaccinations they should mandate that employers give their employees one or two days off that don't count against your attendance or six points after each vaccination. I'm not going to spend the day at work feeling absolutely miserable and I'm not going to waste my weekend time feeling absolutely miserable either.

The flu shot never gives me any reaction so that one is a non-issue I can just get that one while I'm at work.
What days are you normally off? Can you use PTO?

Old 09-14-2022, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedupwiththis View Post
The most sick I've felt in the past 3 years was the 2 days following the second vaccine. I'm under 40 and healthy, no way I'm touching that booster.
Second vaccine was pretty harsh as well as the first booster for most including me but that’s a normal side effect. It doesn’t matter how old you are. Covid doesn’t discriminate.

Old 09-14-2022, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44echo View Post
LOL.

The title YOU gave this topic is "Anyone get the COVID-19 Bivalent Pfizer booster?" No is an acceptable answer.
Ok so we get it. You aren’t getting it.

Old 09-14-2022, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
That's my thinking as well. I got the 2 original Moderna shots but no boosters. I got sick as heck from the second Modera shot and had no desire to get a booster, especially when the virus was becoming less and less like the original strain. Covid has been swirling all around me and, knock on wood, I haven't gotten it so I feel no urgency. In fact, at this point in time I know only a few other people besides myself that have not gotten covid. Since the new booster targets the strains currently out there I'll get it but will wait a bit.
Sickness from any given vaccine is 100% normal. It just means vaccine is doing it’s work. Vaccines are insurance like getting health insurance. I know few that are dead without vaccination and gotten sick.

Old 09-14-2022, 06:41 PM

5,717 posts, read 4,296,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston Area Man View Post
Sickness from any given vaccine is 100% normal. .

For some people, some of the time. I've never had any sickness reaction to any vaccine in my life except Shingrix. Nothing except mild soreness at the injection site. And since I hate feeling sick I chose to have the J&J covid vaccine and had no reaction at all

Old 09-14-2022, 06:50 PM

3,495 posts, read 1,752,206 times
Quote:
Sickness from any given vaccine is 100% normal. It just means vaccine is doing it’s work. Vaccines are insurance like getting health insurance. I know few that are dead without vaccination and gotten sick.
No, that idea has been debunked for the covid mRNA vaccine, a person getting sick doesn't mean the vaccine is working any better than on a person who didn't get sick.

Last edited by wp169; 09-14-2022 at 07:21 PM..

Old 09-14-2022, 06:58 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,881,216 times
Quote:
Updated booster has no time limit to how long it is suppose to last. We may not even have another Covid shot. I think it will be a yearly thing from now on. H1N1 is still included in flu shot since 2009.
No evidence to back that up. All of the previous versions have waned in their effectiveness over time. I’m playing it safe and waiting until October to maximize effectiveness with the expectation it will wane some over time. Agree it will be become a yearly shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness