Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2023, 06:01 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlBeachIguana View Post
I want to point out one more thing.

It's now 2023, COVID levels are higher than most of 2021 and similar to levels in 2022. It might feel different to you because pandemic protocols where you live are gone, but in reality viral transmission is the same.

So what's different about now when pandemic restrictions are dropped and in 2022? Nothing. You guys just gave up on the pandemic protocols, but nothing changed from a virus standpoint, at least since 2022.

So you guys are all Florida, you're just 2-3 years behind the curve.
Most of mid 2022 we ran nationally at 100K cases per day, 2023 has been less than half of that and falling. I'm not sure how you can say there is not a difference?

I check the cases per capita for my area (or where I will be traveling too) about once a week, also percent positive.We have 5 cases per 100,000 and have been in this range for awhile. That is much lower than what we had been seeing in earlier 2022.

I still don't go into large densely packed groups in poorly ventilated areas. But yeah,now that are numbers are much lower, we go to the gym, restaurants, stores and such with no precautions.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2023, 06:54 AM

18,801 posts, read 8,464,759 times
Quote:
Incidentally, I tested + on a TB test before (have Abs). I was offered treatment, but declined. A lot of TB infections are asymptomatic in healthy individuals, and only a problem in immunocompromised people.

Even though there is a theory that once you had a TB infection, it can live in your body in some latent phase, and spring up later and cause severe disease, I'm not convinced looking at the evidence that's the case normally.
I can tell you that with my almost 50 years in medicine that your choice is not the standard of care. One big reason is that as you age your immune system naturally weakens. The prophylactic treatments are generally well tolerated. Your chances are about 1 in 10.

Old 02-10-2023, 07:33 AM

574 posts, read 267,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Most of mid 2022 we ran nationally at 100K cases per day, 2023 has been less than half of that and falling. I'm not sure how you can say there is not a difference?
Less testing, not less cases. CDC is now publishing estimates because they realize testing is far lower.

Old 02-10-2023, 06:26 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
Closed but can reopen on a trial basis if people will discuss COVID.

Old 02-11-2023, 03:27 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
This thread is for COVID discussion. That does not include debates about vaccines and it does not include off topic posts. Many posts were deleted but we shall try again. COVID DISCUSSION ONLY.

Old 02-11-2023, 03:48 PM

1,147 posts, read 861,057 times
Quote:
Less testing, not less cases. CDC is now publishing estimates because they realize testing is far lower.
The Public health Service in the US along with the CDC conduct surveillance of the population. One way it is done is via hospitals and most hospitals are testing for COVID, flu and RSV via PCR. USPHS takes sampling of such specimens and will do extensive testing to determine prevalent strains. These are still being reported to public health. They have numbers from a county level.

Hospitals have to test in order to diagnose and treat. There isn't less testing at the hospital level.

Old 02-11-2023, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medical Lab Guy View Post
The Public health Service in the US along with the CDC conduct surveillance of the population. One way it is done is via hospitals and most hospitals are testing for COVID, flu and RSV via PCR. USPHS takes sampling of such specimens and will do extensive testing to determine prevalent strains. These are still being reported to public health. They have numbers from a county level.

Hospitals have to test in order to diagnose and treat. There isn't less testing at the hospital level.
The CDC is now adjusting all positive results with a multiple (multiplying by 4) because no one is getting COVID tests anymore unless they go to the hospital. Even if they take the rapid antigen test at home, they won't report.

Old 02-12-2023, 09:03 AM

Quote:
The CDC is now adjusting all positive results with a multiple (multiplying by 4) because no one is getting COVID tests anymore unless they go to the hospital. Even if they take the rapid antigen test at home, they won't report.
Huh, that would be interesting, got a link?

Old 02-12-2023, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Huh, that would be interesting, got a link?
CDC:

Quote:
CDC is developing new methods and data sources for estimating the burden of COVID-19 to build a framework reflecting our evolving understanding of the virus.
Then

Quote:
To better reflect the full burden of COVID-19, CDC provides estimates of COVID-19 infections, symptomatic illnesses, hospitalizations, and deaths using statistical models to adjust for cases that national surveillance networks do not capture for a number of reasons. These estimates and the methodologies used to calculate them are published in Clinical Infectious Diseases and The Lancet Regional Health – Americas. These estimates will be updated periodically.
Quote:
1 in 4.0 (95% UI* 3.4 – 4.7) COVID–19 infections were reported.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...es/burden.html

Old 02-12-2023, 09:11 AM

I've never seen any huge variations in case reporting from the CDC, generally speaking CDC numbers and NYT data tracker are similar, and THEY match my state's quad city reporting portal. I haven't seen any large discrepancies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness