Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 11:19 AM

2,886 posts, read 8,282,884 times

Advertisements

Another better question would be why do people overeat??
It's an addiction;
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 12:28 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,438,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiek View Post
Why do people smoke? Stupidity.

Sorry, but especially since the warnings came out, on the very pack of cancer sticks one buys, you have to be crazy to continue.

Smoking is not good; it is not cool. I have read the posts about not being able to quit. There is a difference between not being able to do something, and not WANTING to do something.

It is tough; but it can be done, if the person truly desires it to be so.
I agree. People make very stupid choices when it comes to their health. I am 44 years old and never ever smoked, but got plenty of second hand smoke from my Dad, who died of lung cancer at 49. My father in law, whom I never got a chance to meet, also died of lung cancer, when my husband was only 14 years old. Back in the "old days" people didn't know about the dangers of smoking, but now they do, heck, I always knew and I am no spring chicken.

If someone wants to quit, they can do it, but they have to want to do it! Every person I know that really wanted to, has stopped smoking. Those that only tried because their partner was urging them, or a doctor, failed.

Smokers smell nasty, their clothing smells and it doesn't look "cool" at all, it just makes you look like you don't care about yourself to me.

Old 11-19-2007, 01:44 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,645,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
see, I do believe people choose to smoke....the very first time someone asks them if they want one or go and buy that first pack. It's the initial choice and the few after that will determine an addict. Why make that first choice?

I've just always made the choice not be ANY kind of addict. I choose to have the control over my life.
yes but if you are 14 and feeling socially awkward then you may take that first cigarette offered to you by one of the kids in the crowd.

Old 11-19-2007, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdieGirl View Post
It really is like a drug. You need it, you crave it, if you have a bad day it can go to even more crap if you don't get one or make everything better once you take that initial drag. Look at people's obsession with chocolate. The side effects may be different but not the cravings.
it IS a drug! that's why it's hard to quit. and i dont mean just "hard", i mean the hardest thing you've ever done in your ENTIRE life (for alot of people)

Old 11-19-2007, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
It's never too late to quit if you really want to. I quit 11 years ago. i woke up one morning and decided to never have another cigarette. So i quit cold turkey. The first 3 days were the hardest, the withdrawal, but after that, much easier. Once you make it one day at a time to the 3 month point, you should be fine and smooth sailing from then on. Even though you will still dream of it many years after you quit, at least you will only smoke in your dreams.
i found that the first 3 days were the easiest and it got harder as time went by. some people go into a depression and start crying and getting extremely irritable also when not smoking.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:25 PM

5 posts, read 15,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
most of us are addicted to something whether it be smoking, food, religion or collecting things.
We have all our things to calm ourself but the addiction of drugs (or drinking) is the worse. It is not cool and when i look i them i think too that they don't care about them self.
Other addictions are of course very bad for the health too, eating too much or not eating but i think it comes from mentally ills, like depression.
There is people who decide to quit smoking but begin to eat a lot. I knew someone in this case, he took like 25 pounds in some months.
There are too addictions to "happy pills", sleeping pills. I knew someone who didn't stop to take pills to allay physical pain even if she didn't have any pain, she said it helped her to fall asleep too.

Why not being addicted to relaxation or meditation?! it's better!

Old 11-20-2007, 02:16 AM

217 posts, read 879,205 times
Several decades ago, it seemed like everyone smoked. My parents smoked. My grandparents smoked. I even saw my teachers smoking. But now we know that smoking is bad for you. Most of those people who smoked back then (including my parents) are dead or most likely sick.

I don't know why people smoke, but I think education has something to do with it. Not to sound snobby (because I am far from that), but studies show that nowadays, smokers tend to be poorly educated. While I do think addiction is real, I think for some, they truly do not understand the risk associated with smoking.

Old 11-20-2007, 03:01 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,789,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I have never met anyone yet who liked their first cigarette. Yet they continued with smoking, peer pressure, wanting to be cool whatever the reasons, I am still amazed people do it.
I had about half a cigarette at 14 , was virtually sick it was so vile and thought never again. How can people become addicted to something so vile tasting, also knowing it is bad for you and the people around you? I will never get it.
Hi there. Now you have. Pleased to meet you!
I smoked as a teen cause I liked it - went great with all the alcohol!
Had a cough cause I was sick (at 19) and just stopped.
Started again when I was around 28, but only a few a day cause I didn't drink anymore.
Finally stopped when my heart was acting funny. (arythmia? I have it I don't I have it I don't - doctors suck! They don't know SH*T! )
I was between 34 & 36 - don't remember... I'm 41 now.
I just don't have an addictive personality. (luckily!)

Old 11-20-2007, 12:22 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,169,951 times
My grandfather died at 38 years of age from lung cancer - he never smoked a day in his life. In fact, he had a reaction to smoking and couldn't be around smokers at all.

Not all people who smoke die young and not all non-smokers live long fruitful lives.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:42 PM

618 posts, read 1,610,646 times
I have never actually smoked in my life.
But, I have considered it because I know this may seem weird, but I love the smell of cigarette smoke on a person.
I don't know if it's because my dad use to smoke when I was younger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness