Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 09:50 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times

Advertisements

Gee I thought this was a discussion forum, not Flikr.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 10:03 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Excellent pics.

In general, I've viewed the Russian habit to make things functional, cheap but not always safe to work best for things like tanks and rifles but less so for things like Subs and capital ships.

Curious how their safety track-record stands up to other modern navies over the past. I know the US has lost a few subs and the Russians too.
Post WWII

U.S. 4 - Soviet/Russians 8

USS Cochino (SS-345)
USS Scorpion (SSN-589)
USS Stickleback (SS-415)
USS Thresher (SSN-593)

Old 11-29-2010, 10:49 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,224,716 times
Interesting to see the face of the one time enemy again. As former US Navy a very large part of my work was ASW (Anti Submarine Warfare) training, preparing for a war against Soviet sub forces. Their subs were not nearly as good as ours. They were noisy, often required repairs, and were not as advanced as US and NATO bloc boats. Had war broken out, we would have found them and sunk them, just as we and our allies did in the Battle of the Atlantic agains the German U boats. However, in doing so, almost surely thousands of us would have died. Certain things I am still not supposed to talk about, even today, nearly two decades after the collapse of the Soviet Union.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:45 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Something I have heard and not sure if it's true or not - anyway apparently each Russian sub has a very large officer crew, the officers are the only ones who really do anything with the sub, the enlisted people are all draftees and only do chores like cooking and cleaning.

Contrasted with the US submariners - where the goal is that everybody knows how to do everything - or at least everything that can be critical to things like damage control.
Good point, I was poking around on some sites and was interested to find out that the crew complement on Russian subs has been conitnually shrinking while the U.S.'s has been growing. The reason is that the Russians are using automation to replace crews, while the U.S. is using automation to make systems triple redundant and expanding the crews to include the triple redundancy.

I have always had a fascination with subs, especially since my cousin is an Annapolis grad and spent 25 years in the "Silent Service", primarily on attack boats.

It's funny looking back at the nemesis now and seeing how decrepit their navy has become to the point that towns and companies are now sponsoring subs in the fleet to keep them provisioned. They are also having a heck of a time getting their new ballistic missiles to work and the replacement for the Typhoons has been delayed for years. Even in the heyday when comparing sub for sub, the western navies always outclassed the Russian boats that were noisier, slower and more maintenance intensive.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:44 PM

1,809 posts, read 5,422,800 times
K-19;

http://www.juliett484.org/juliett/images/russub4.jpg (broken link)

http://www.oceantechserv.com/gallery/13.jpg (broken link)

Old 11-30-2010, 03:17 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,625,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Interesting to see the face of the one time enemy again. As former US Navy a very large part of my work was ASW (Anti Submarine Warfare) training, preparing for a war against Soviet sub forces. Their subs were not nearly as good as ours. They were noisy, often required repairs, and were not as advanced as US and NATO bloc boats. Had war broken out, we would have found them and sunk them, just as we and our allies did in the Battle of the Atlantic agains the German U boats. However, in doing so, almost surely thousands of us would have died. Certain things I am still not supposed to talk about, even today, nearly two decades after the collapse of the Soviet Union.
I was TDY at New London, Conn Submarine Base back in the early 80's for several months and so i took a tour of an sub moored in dock as i believe it was an Ohio Class and so i was just in awed about how it looked on the inside as it looked like i was in a spaceship .

The one bad thing about my touring it was when i walked down the passageways i had to always lower my head as i'm 6'3 tall and i would bang my head against the overhead pipes if i wasn't careful .

Old 12-01-2010, 10:38 AM

630 posts, read 1,874,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
I went down to its Allens Avenue dock after the storm,it was in pretty rough shape,tough break.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:48 AM

630 posts, read 1,874,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandgold51 View Post
K-19;

This boat had NONE of the creature comforts of the Typhoon SSBN's,you had to be an acrobat to move through some of the compartments,Borscht anyone?LOL

Old 12-01-2010, 11:08 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times
Attachment 72067I guess the Reds have/had some good subs but the ones I've seen (a bunch!) on and off the chart were nothing but targets......Attachment 72071

Last edited by my54ford; 08-17-2016 at 06:36 AM..

Old 12-05-2010, 04:08 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,990,747 times
A good item would be a discussion of what happened to a Soviet Golf 2 class submarine designated K-129 operating near the Hawaian Islands on March 7, 1968? It may be one of the most frightening stories of the long battle fought in the shadows between the US and USSR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History