Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 12:16 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,115,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
To be frank and to the point ................... None of them.

The search for historical fact and the distortions created by Hollywood simply don't mix.
The above does not apply to the film "Tora Tora Tora" nor to "The Battle of Algiers", both of which were documentary level factual, the latter purposefully being made to appear to be a documentary while actually featuring actors and the restaging of all that you see.

Other films which added filler material for narrative or dramatic purposes without altering the essential facts include "The Longest Day", "A Bridge Too Far", "Alamo" and "Nicholas and Alexandria." None of those films featured performers doing impossible things a la "Pearl Harbor", none of those films had severe alterations in actual events such as "Far Horizons" or "They Died With Their Boots On."

It is possible to make a reasonably accurate historical film while compressing some events for time's sake or making a composite character out of several actual participants. Consider the immense difference between the 1930's Errol Flynn "Charge of the Light Brigade" and the 1971 David Hemmings film of the same name. The latter stuck to the basic facts with the fictional elements being dialogue invented to move the plot along or flesh out a character. The former was a preposterous reinvention of the entire story which tried to make it seem like the charge was a glorious endeavor rather than a fatal blunder. The same applies to the difference between the 1960 John Wayne "The Alamo" and the 2001 version with Billy Bob Thornton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 02:01 PM

2,373 posts, read 2,761,240 times
That was a classic scene

Quote:
Originally Posted by f.2 View Post
What is YOUR favorite Hitsoric movie?

I'll start.

John has a long mustache. repet. John has a long mustache.

The Longest Day (1962), John Wayne, Henry Fonda, Richard Burton, Robert Mitchum, Eddit Albert, Sean Connery, Peter Lawford, Rod Steiger, Red Buttons, Mel Ferrer, Steve Forest, Roddy McDowell, Robert Ryan, George Segal, Robert Wagner, Arletty, etc.

Epic.

dot dot dot dash
Beethoven's Fifth.

Pluskat's lightbulb moment. You ever notice that the dog knows? It's a proven fact that animals can detect nature's changes before humans can, such as earthquakes, storms, (invasions?) etc. Pluskat's dog has the right idea in the beginning of this clip. This video doesen't show the English subtitles, but Pluskat asked his crew where's my dog. lol.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:15 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,141,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
It is possible to make a reasonably accurate historical film while compressing some events for time's sake or making a composite character out of several actual participants. Consider the immense difference between the 1930's Errol Flynn "Charge of the Light Brigade" and the 1971 David Hemmings film of the same name. The latter stuck to the basic facts with the fictional elements being dialogue invented to move the plot along or flesh out a character. The former was a preposterous reinvention of the entire story which tried to make it seem like the charge was a glorious endeavor rather than a fatal blunder...
I've got the David Hemmings version in my queue. Can't wait to watch it.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:38 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,115,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f.2 View Post
I've got the David Hemmings version in my queue. Can't wait to watch it.
I suspect that you will like it. And in case you get to wondering while watching it, the "Black Bottle" business was real. The films alters the chronology a bit, but the essential elements are intact. You'll understand when you watch. Also look for a delightful performance from Jill Bennett as Mrs Duberly, the wife of an ineffectual staff officer. John Gielgud is wonderful as the perpetually befuddled, but never ruffled, Lord Raglan.

Old 08-20-2013, 03:33 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Our main focus seems to be on war related films and it struck me that "Eight Men Out" is among the finest historical films I've seen.
I was going to mention that myself.

"Empire of the Sun" came out the same year as "The Last Emperor", and I thought it was better.

"The Year of Living Dangerously" was very good.

The Argentine picture "The Official Story" should go on the short list.
http://www.cinemagia.ro/trailer/la-h...-oficial-7644/

Also, a wonderful portrayal of Ceausescu's Romania, in "4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days"
http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi1471283481/

If you ever stumble across an opportunity, don't miss "The Wreck and Rescue of the Schooner J.H. Hartzell", a documentary of a shipwreck on the Great Lakes, , using local actors and shot in a blizzard. The first time I saw this, I was convinced that somehow he had found archival footage of the actual event.

Last edited by jtur88; 08-20-2013 at 04:35 PM..

Old 08-20-2013, 03:52 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,589,364 times
History can never be reproduced. Ever.

Old 08-20-2013, 04:31 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,129,104 times
I liked Eight Men Out, thought Judge Landis went a little hard on Shoeless Joe, with a lifetime ban from baseball, he knew about the fix but did not throw games.

The Killing Fields

Salvador

All the Presidents Men

I like every movie ever made regarding "Mutiny on the Bounty"

The Beast was a great fictional movie about a lost Russian tank in the Russian/Afghanistan War......"The tank feels roomier now sir"

I will have to check out The Last Emperor, as I really enjoyed Empire of the Sun. Really want to see that one about Romania, jtr88.

Old 08-20-2013, 04:55 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
I'd say "From Here To Eternity."

Oh, wait. I thought you said favorite histrionic movie.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:18 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,197,833 times
Lion In Winter
Gettysburg
Glory
All The President's Men
A League of their Own

Old 08-20-2013, 05:43 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,457,538 times
I like historical films but I cant say I have a favorite. That would depend on the type, rather its a documentary or fiction or non fiction. I just saw 42 and thought it was really good. The recent movie about President Lincoln was great. As far as documentaries I liked the history of the world in 2 hours. Then you have shows that while are not meant to be history based do take place in the past so its fun. A good example was the Curious case of Benjamin Button and a good tv show that got canceled called Life on Mars. I will give it some thought tonight and if I can think of a all time favorite movie I will post it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History