Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 04:32 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,430,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESFP View Post
I'm still waiting for Britain to apologize to the U.S. for that American Revolution thing.
Sorry about that. Just a little misunderstanding. Turned out ok in the end though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 05:45 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,543,919 times
Forgiven.

Not forgived.

FORGIVEN.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:42 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,358,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
When I first went to Central America, riding the chicken buses everywhere, traveling alone, I was rather fearful/nervous, particularly traveling thru El Salvador, Nicaragua and Guatemala, that I might run across someone with a keen sense of history, an elephantine memory, with lots of pent-up anger towards Americans, any American, and that I might be attacked and be a sacrificial lamb, but it astounded me how friendly, accepting they were. I would almost call it all a mystery! Many times, I just wanted to take someone aside and say: I'm so sorry for what we did to you, in the past!

Let's call it projection, for if I had been one of them, seeing an American, traveling alone, I don't think I would have let an opportunity like this pass me by.

Perhaps it's the same down there, they're intelligent enough to realize it's our leaders/the CIA that were to blame, and I, blameless.

Now, I don't think I'd be brave enough to ride the local buses in Iraq!
Why would they hate you as an individual? You are not your government, and they are not their government. I find all us "little people" to be more similar than different; we all want to live life peacefully, to find happiness and contentment, however it may be defined.

What is the point of holding onto anger and hate for past transgressions? It cannot change what happened; it only serves to poison one’s ability to live life to the fullest, here and now. And passing that hatred onto our children will only serve to poison their chance to live THEIR life to its fullest.

The best we can do is to learn from our mistakes in order to better make conscious decisions not to repeat them.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:26 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,165,060 times
Is it a trait of the anglo-saxon to wear sackcloth and ashes?

Old 03-05-2014, 11:05 AM

638 posts, read 624,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
When I first went to Central America, riding the chicken buses everywhere, traveling alone, I was rather fearful/nervous, particularly traveling thru El Salvador, Nicaragua and Guatemala, that I might run across someone with a keen sense of history, an elephantine memory, with lots of pent-up anger towards Americans, any American, and that I might be attacked and be a sacrificial lamb, but it astounded me how friendly, accepting they were. I would almost call it all a mystery! Many times, I just wanted to take someone aside and say: I'm so sorry for what we did to you, in the past!

Let's call it projection, for if I had been one of them, seeing an American, traveling alone, I don't think I would have let an opportunity like this pass me by.

Perhaps it's the same down there, they're intelligent enough to realize it's our leaders/the CIA that were to blame, and I, blameless.

Now, I don't think I'd be brave enough to ride the local buses in Iraq!
Thats interesting. So if you see a Japanese person walking down the street, are you going to beat them up because they attacked Pearl Harbor? They murdered peaceful soldiers and couldn't have cared less if their bombs hit civilians. They would have murdered and raped in America, had they been able to enter this nation (see Nanking).

Are you going to beat up a Muslim because of 9/11?

As for Iraq, we deposed a disgusting, evil, villainous dictator named Saddam Hussein. Not the worst thing we ever did...

Old 03-05-2014, 07:18 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,636,388 times
Quote:
Not the worst thing we ever did...
We spent a trillion dollars to empower an Iranian client state and ethnically-cleanse half of Iraq's ancient Christian population. Iraq is currently in a civil war. That's a good example of selfish private interests "capturing" the US foreign policy/military apparatus and using it to their own ends.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:01 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,376,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
"Behind every great fortune, there is a crime."
Honoré de Balzac
a well known quote and absolute rubbish.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:28 PM

10 posts, read 8,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
OK, Mr. 4 posts. We napalmed and bombed with war planes and helicopters among other things. Regardless where in Vietnam the troops were put on the ground, there was a lot of killing ordered by our generals. I blame the politicians and generals. The troops do not have much say. I think some people are splitting hairs. Thanks for sharing.
If you actually think that your hundreds of posts give you some 'status' over people like myself who haven't posted here before, you are pretty pathetic.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moboy32 View Post
What is this, "ageism" on citydata? No one can judge a person's age, experience, or arguing ability by how long they've been on citydata. Besides, who gets "intimidated" by someones reputation or age on this website anyway?
Yeah, that's hilarious. The fact that some of us may actually have been published in somewhat more prestigious publications means nothing to cheeseman.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Vietnam's the obvious one.

Although I don't understand why Vietnam doesn't hate the US. One would think they'd be more anti-American than any other country in the world and that they'd hate the US more than Arab and Muslim nations, but they don't. They genuinely like Americans and they want the US military back in their country to protect them from China.
Also, keep in mind that at least half the country is angry at the US not for fighting there, but for abondoning them to the communists. Having been there a few times, I can assert that 90% of the population - North and South - want to be allies and friends with Uncle Sam. Strange that a terrible, failed war should give rise to admiration on the part of our former enemies, but that seems to be the case. Even General Vo Nguyen Giap, the mastermind of North Vietnam's war against the South, said "The Americans were honorable enemies.". Nice compliment considering the source.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History