Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 12:41 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,990,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
I was wondering when the label 'racist' would be used. I'm not disappointed. My attitude is those who point the finger and use the racist,bigot slur should remember that there are three fingers pointing back at themselves.
If you don't have a job writing copy for inspirational posters and coffee mugs, you are truly missing your calling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 12:44 PM

1,820 posts, read 1,165,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
you didn't know they were white slaves? ever heard of the Barbary Slave Trade? Lasted over 4 centuries, 15th to 19th Century.

The European slaves were acquired by Barbary Pirates in slave raids on ships and by raids on coastal towns from Italy to Spain, Portugal, France, England, the Netherlands, and as far afield as Ireland and Iceland. Men, women, and children were captured, to such a devastating extent that vast numbers of sea coast towns were abandoned.

I read about this when I was in 8th grade in our world history class.
Of course your right Hellion. Thomas Pellow from Cornwall spent around 20 years in slavery before making his escape. The conditions they were kept in was horrible and many died. Some of those slaves were Americans.

Old 02-12-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
If you don't have a job writing copy for inspirational posters and coffee mugs, you are truly missing your calling.

Can you get me a job?

Old 02-12-2016, 01:07 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,178,395 times
When the Supreme Court upheld racial segregation laws, what were they thinking? What kind of "justice" is that? Did they at some point revise and / or apologize for the ruling?

Old 02-12-2016, 01:24 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,925,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential_Landlord View Post
When the Supreme Court upheld racial segregation laws, what were they thinking? What kind of "justice" is that? Did they at some point revise and / or apologize for the ruling?
Even at the time, there were dissenters. Supreme Court Justice John Marshall Harlan, became known as the "Great Dissenter" for his fiery dissent in Plessy and other early civil rights cases.

Following is part of Justice Harlan's dissent, asserting, "The law regards man as man":

"[i]n view of the constitution, in the eye of the law, there is in this country no superior, dominant, ruling class of citizens. There is no caste here. Our constitution is color-blind, and neither knows nor tolerates classes among citizens. In respect of civil rights, all citizens are equal before the law. The humblest is the peer of the most powerful. The law regards man as man, and takes no account of his surroundings or of his color when his civil rights as guaranteed by the supreme law of the land are involved.[19]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plessy_v._Ferguson

Justice Harlan's full dissent here:
Plessy v. Ferguson, 1896, Judge Harlan's Dissent

It should be noted the 7 to 1 decision was not repudiated until 1954 with the Supreme Court decision in Brown v. Board of Education.

Old 02-12-2016, 02:11 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,990,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
Can you get me a job?
What are you, looking for a handout?

Old 02-12-2016, 02:18 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,178,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Even at the time, there were dissenters. Supreme Court Justice John Marshall Harlan, became known as the "Great Dissenter" for his fiery dissent in Plessy and other early civil rights cases.

Following is part of Justice Harlan's dissent, asserting, "The law regards man as man":

"[i]n view of the constitution, in the eye of the law, there is in this country no superior, dominant, ruling class of citizens. There is no caste here. Our constitution is color-blind, and neither knows nor tolerates classes among citizens. In respect of civil rights, all citizens are equal before the law. The humblest is the peer of the most powerful. The law regards man as man, and takes no account of his surroundings or of his color when his civil rights as guaranteed by the supreme law of the land are involved.[19]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plessy_v._Ferguson

Justice Harlan's full dissent here:
Plessy v. Ferguson, 1896, Judge Harlan's Dissent

It should be noted the 7 to 1 decision was not repudiated until 1954 with the Supreme Court decision in Brown v. Board of Education.
Thanks for the education. So how did the Southern states justify upholding their racist laws and way of life after the 1954 Supreme Court ruling Brown v. Board of Education? Why did they try to uphold their unconstitutionality and blatantly ignore both the law of the land and racial equality? Why are they trying to subvert the S.C. ruling on marriage equality today? What is up with these guys?

Old 02-12-2016, 03:14 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
I don't think things were as bad then as people like to make it out to be. The overwhelming majority of people were just going about their daily routine, not lynching or burning crosses on people's yards. The media likes to use shock effect to blow things out of proportion. Black people lived better in the fifties than they do today. Segregation still exists today and will always exist, humans naturally gravitate towards what is familiar. Mixing the races only leads to more racism and problems.
I'm surprised it took twenty posts to hit this note.

I am a white person who spent time in the South in the Fifties, and taught school there in the Sixties. Daily life was embarrassing to live in a segregated society. That old bit of racist doggerel was in full shameful force: "If you're black stay back, if you're brown keep down, if you're white you're aaaaaaaaaaaaaalll right!" Followed by guffaws.

Old 02-12-2016, 03:16 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,925,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential_Landlord View Post
Thanks for the education. So how did the Southern states justify upholding their racist laws and way of life after the 1954 Supreme Court ruling Brown v. Board of Education? Why did they try to uphold their unconstitutionality and blatantly ignore both the law of the land and racial equality? Why are they trying to subvert the S.C. ruling on marriage equality today? What is up with these guys?
I cannot answer these questions however I definitely understand you having them. I asked a few questions of my own earlier in this thread & one person was even kind enough to humor me by answering.

A very wise person once said, ”Loyalty to our ancestors does not include loyalty to their mistakes.” This makes much sense to me. & is very 'doable.'

Old 02-12-2016, 03:24 PM

Saul has slain his thousands but David has slain his tens of thousands. And the people cheered David more than Saul and Saul was jealous.

Think you have to take into consideration the times people lived in. We know of different countries and institutions who have perhaps killed millions. A lot of things in life are judged with the benefit of hindsight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History