Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 10:12 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,821,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
An answer to this question can be found in the book by Philip K Dick entitled "Man in the High Castle" .
For those who must have their knowledge in video form Amazon is presenting a decent series based on the book called "The Man in the High Castle. The fictional America in 1962 plays the Horst Wessel East of the Mississippi, and is taking lessons in Japanese west of the Rocky Mountains.
An answer, yes. A fictional answer that has no bearing on reality, and one that depicts a joint German and Japanese occupation of North America that Germany and Japan had absolutely no capacity whatsoever of carrying out.

None.
At.
All.

I like The Man in the High Castle. But it's fiction. It's not historical, and it's not even based on what could possibly have happened. It's sheer fantasy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2016, 10:24 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,306,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
An answer to this question can be found in the book by Philip K Dick entitled "Man in the High Castle" .
For those who must have their knowledge in video form Amazon is presenting a decent series based on the book called "The Man in the High Castle. The fictional America in 1962 plays the Horst Wessel East of the Mississippi, and is taking lessons in Japanese west of the Rocky Mountains.
How are they dealing with a few million rednecks with guns?

Old 05-07-2016, 04:34 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,037,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Well, given easthome's sneering contempt, I wouldn't be surprised if he just blithely dismissed your American source out of hand.

So here's a British source, which also demonstrates that he's wrong.

D-Day Museum and Overlord Embroidery

Note:
I post this only in the interest of historical accuracy, not out of any sense that the United States was somehow superior for supplying more forces for this particular operation. I hold our British friends (no quotes, because I actually mean it) in high esteem, and I do not hold the the existence of a few ignorant and angry individuals against a people as a whole.

Its not me that says things like 'if it wasn't for us you'd be speaking German', how many times have I heard 'we saved your ass!' I'm sorry I am with our Canadian friend and I stick with what I say, many Americans dismiss the efforts of 'other' allied nations, it is something that has crept in over the years and is frankly sometimes disrespectful to millions of allied soldiers that served in the second world war. Somebody mentioned 'The Longest Day' which is a very good film one that looks at the Dday landings from the point of view of all sides involved, but note when it was made, there used to be a feeling of 'brotherhood' amongst the allied nations concerning the second world war but more recently the attitude of (some) Americans is just breeding contempt amongst some. personally I haven't got any contempt for anybody that was involved in beating the evils on Nazism whatever their nationality!

Old 05-07-2016, 04:45 AM

I try to avoid sweeping generalizations about any group.

Old 05-07-2016, 02:10 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,330,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
With the strict enforcement of racial laws why would they have to worry about redneck with guns? i'd think they would be warmly embraced like Trump, the aggrieved white man's heroes against the mud people and the god awful Jews and their commie masters Heil Trump!

Old 05-07-2016, 04:58 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,821,329 times
Quote:
You mean the same millions of rednecks with guns that couldn't do squat against the Union Army? And in the 1860s the ability gulf between professional military forces and irregulars was significantly less than it was by the time of the 1940s.

Sorry, the idea that Bubba and Cleetus and their deer rifles terrified Imperial Japan into not invading the United States is absurd. Repeated after me - Red Dawn was fiction, not a documentary.

Now, this is not to say that Japan could have invaded CONUS. They couldn't, having neither the troops nor the logistical capacity to do so. That's why they didn't - not out of some silly fear of yokels with guns.

Old 05-07-2016, 06:45 PM

It was a joke, you know. My cousins, the ones with hundreds of guns, would go bunny in a heart beat of they had to put their money where their mouth is.

Old 05-07-2016, 10:09 PM

8,895 posts, read 5,378,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Trump has resurrected America First as a doctrine. Some say the term is ugly, mostly relating to WW2 and the desire to stay out of it. My question is how would the war have turned out if indeed America had stayed out? I am not at all sure that Germany would have prevailed.
I do not America "sitting out" WW2. Only area of debate could by when and how.

Old 05-08-2016, 10:47 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,994,605 times
Quote:

Philip K Dick uses the same mechanism that convinced the Japanese to unconditionally surrender. Nazi Germany didn't have to worry about Britain after the failure of the miracle of Dunkirk and the acceptance of a end of Hostilities by Britain's new PM Lord Halifax in June 1940. The Soviet Union was taken care of in 1941 and America was taken care of in 1944 when German nuclear strikes (V2 rockets launched from submarines of Japanese design called I400s) destroyed Boston and Washington DC. The shock of losing hundreds f thousands of people on the same day had the remains of the US Government begging for surrender terms and the occupation of the US by the Axis powers followed.

Old 05-08-2016, 11:02 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,994,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
You mean the same millions of rednecks with guns that couldn't do squat against the Union Army? And in the 1860s the ability gulf between professional military forces and irregulars was significantly less than it was by the time of the 1940s.

Sorry, the idea that Bubba and Cleetus and their deer rifles terrified Imperial Japan into not invading the United States is absurd. Repeated after me - Red Dawn was fiction, not a documentary.

Now, this is not to say that Japan could have invaded CONUS. They couldn't, having neither the troops nor the logistical capacity to do so. That's why they didn't - not out of some silly fear of yokels with guns.

The history of the Second World War shows that the Axis powers would have used American Rednecks with guns to keep other Americans with guns under control. Roughly 1/3 of peoples in the occupied nations actively worked with and supported German occupation. Millions of Poles, Lithuanians, Croats and Serbs and Ukrainians served in German military units or as Sundakomandos in carring out the Final Solution. The same was True in France and the Low Countries as well as Denmark and Norway. In Norway, Holland and France as well as Spain special Waffen SS units were formed to help Germans fighting the Soviets. One got extra rations and special privileges for serving in such units. The same would have been done in the good old USA which it must be remembered split in the same way during the American Revolution where 1 in three Colonialists fought for King George III.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History