Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 09:54 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,210,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Maybe not "popular" to general public outside of the deep south or wherever, but obviously there was a market for such things otherwise photographers wouldn't have bothered.
There is obviously a market for child sex, as well, so much so that the US in recent years has criminalized it even when it is committed outside US jurisdiction. So be careful if you condemn an entire generation according to its market sectors that are so marginal, there is a discussion about whether they exist at all.. Photographers "bother" with snuff films today.

Old 03-02-2019, 04:03 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
OK, since it won't bother you, lynching comes from an Irish judge who hung his own son (reference the QI program I mentioned) - so the heinousness started there, except... Jedart (or Jedwood) Justice is actually closer in concept, and it originates in the border towns of Scotland. The general idea was that people were executed first, then the evidence was examined. Lewis Carroll and Byron reference the idea and it is a legal term to this day.

Bringing your squawking chicken home to roost, the concept of an unfair execution in the U.S. likely had roots in the psyche of the Scots who became settlers of the American south. Please express a similar appropriate outrage and gnashing of teeth towards your own countrymen.
Oh I know that part of our history too...nothing to be proud of at all.. in fact Im rather disgusted with the WASP and what they did..

Old 03-02-2019, 07:29 AM

12,963 posts, read 13,676,205 times
There was a historic fascination with the macabre not just in the south and not just in America. I recently found an article from China were a young boy of about nine who was sliced to death as a punishment for accidentally killing his mother. This was during the same period of mob lynching in the US. In the MidWest there was a lynching that was attended by around 5000 people as well as a lynching done on Easter and one on Christmas day. After one lynching in a small Kansas town anyone could go into the morgue and view the body of the lynched young man. People brought their children to it.

Sometimes they preferred burning alive black men who "outraged" white women. In one midwestern state in about 1854 a journalist wrote of the burning and said," the image of a human burning alive was far more terrible than the image of what he was supposed to have done to the white woman, but by the time they tried to look away it was too late."

My takeaway on the subject is they lynched black men for assaulting white women but never did anything to white men for the same thing. In around 1880 a white girl reported that she was attacked one night. She gave the police the description of the man; young ,white and wearing a ball cap and jacket. There was no mob with torches, shotguns, ropes and chains kicking down doors in the white section of town. The police just reported that no suspect has been found.

In an all black town in Oklahoma a white man raped a black girl and was arrested. That night black men showed up to the jailhouse with loaded shotguns. They stood guard all night to see that the man got proper justice.

Old 03-02-2019, 09:13 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Polish? Why Polish?
Catholic immigrants.

Keep in mind that the KKK had problems with 4 groups. Those people were blacks, Catholics, immigrants, and Jews.

One of my grandmothers married a Catholic immigrant German. After their parents died, my grandmother was approached by her brother, who was in the KKK, and threatened. They didn't speak for nearly 40 years after that.

This happened in Michigan.

Last edited by southbound_295; 03-02-2019 at 09:31 AM..

Old 03-02-2019, 10:51 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,376,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
I missed the part of the history forum wherein people from countries with ugly episodes in their past are forbidden to comment upon the ugly apisodes in the pasts of other countries.

Nothing I've seen in dizzybint's posts, here or otherwise, expresses anything short of what I'd call a fondness for the United States. If you need a safe space from certain topics, that's your issue and no one else's.

PS - The bolded part must be some of that 'intelligent discourse' to which you pay lip service.
Many Southerners are upfront and honest about the negative aspects of their history. Unfortunately maby still become angry when someone...particularly someone from outside the South...attempts to discuss that sort if thing.

Old 03-02-2019, 03:17 PM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
Many Southerners are upfront and honest about the negative aspects of their history. Unfortunately maby still become angry when someone...particularly someone from outside the South...attempts to discuss that sort if thing.
Your "explanation" has a fatal flaw - I am from Vermont, seventh generation Vermonter.

I've no problem with a relatively dispassionate discussion on most subjects, and I note that the tone of this thread has thankfully trended in that direction. Those hard question discussions usually lead to greater understanding. I do have a problem with high emotion judgmental behavior, which tends to be non-productive, divisive, and encourage shallow thinking and stereotyping. I'm going to follow that by again reminding that I find dizzybint a good poster overall, but the tactic she took in opening the thread could have been much better.

I suggest that if you want to try to analyze me, you read a sampling of my posts first. You might have better luck.

Old 03-02-2019, 05:45 PM

4,195 posts, read 1,600,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Catholic immigrants.

Keep in mind that the KKK had problems with 4 groups. Those people were blacks, Catholics, immigrants, and Jews.

One of my grandmothers married a Catholic immigrant German. After their parents died, my grandmother was approached by her brother, who was in the KKK, and threatened. They didn't speak for nearly 40 years after that.

This happened in Michigan.
my grand parents came from Poland to Ohio to work in the steel mills in about 1900..my mother was born in 1920 and as a small child the KKK would burn crosses across the street and she had to stay in the house grandma said those were bad people

The Clan was very popular up north and other parts....the hatred of Jews, Catholics and Gypsies seems somehow different than the southern hatred...

The Clan was whooping up anti-immigrant sentiments up north and down south it was centuries old lifestyle given the go-ahead by southern religious men

Old 03-03-2019, 05:09 AM

Harry do what I did and type in Lynchings and tell me what comes up..thats what I did and what I found.. nothing else. its history, revolting history yes , but happened... I didnt pot stir and wasnt on the bevvie. I dont drink..

Old 03-03-2019, 08:03 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,430,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Harry do what I did and type in Lynchings and tell me what comes up..thats what I did and what I found.. nothing else. its history, revolting history yes , but happened... I didnt pot stir and wasnt on the bevvie. I dont drink..
You don't drink dizzy, and you live in Scotland........ A rare beast indeed.......

Old 03-03-2019, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
You don't drink dizzy, and you live in Scotland........ A rare beast indeed.......
used to Dave not now though hahaha.. I should have known hahah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History