Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2022, 11:37 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,978,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
My late husband used to love going to malls. I, on the other hand, despise it. Even when we went to the Mall of America when I was on travel, I noticed that it simply contained every store that we usually saw anyway. The only unique feature was the amusement park in the center - now that was cool!

Since years ago, I've always wanted to go to the Mall of America & was even willing to mk a vacation around it (but of course still seeing other things there such as museums, etc.). So I know co. websites can be deceiving (because I know of a horrendous mall that's on its last leg that I'm shocked hasn't closd up by now but their website makes it look nice)...but is Mall of America considered an upscale mall or just one of those general, mediocre malls?

Sorry for your loss, by the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPNative View Post
No, I used to love malls but the malls (in my hometown) that I liked all closed, leaving the large, mid-market mall that I always disliked. Fortunately downtown came back to life and stores located there instead of in the mall; I prefer downtown as it’s a more pleasant place.

I've always preferred going to a group of stores all under one roof. I don't care to walk up & down streets, have to cross streets, etc. to get to stores. One of the malls in my area is outdoors & they constructed it horribly IMO. The stores are along along streets & blocks that cars drive through & you have to cross streets to get to each various group of stores. On crowded days, there's high chances of people getting hit by cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
"Back in the day" there was a high-end mall that I loved to go to on occasion (had a Sears as an anchor). Most of the stores were too pricey for me, and a distance away anyway. Well, I worked nearby and would go there after work sometimes. There was a non-chain jewelry store there, and a bracelet in the glass case caught my eye. It was a gold, emerald, and ruby bracelet. I loved it but it was way out of my price range. So for 2 YEARS I would go visit it. If asked if they could help me, I'd reply, "no, just visiting my bracelet". The proprietors got to know me. They finally brought the price of the bracelet down to one I could justify paying, and I now own the prized bracelet.

Do I wear it now? Not really, I am retired and single and don't have occasion to wear my "good" jewelry anymore. I did make myself wear it to a community Christmas event recently, tho, as it is the colors of Christmas.

Hey, wear it anyway, even if just to the store sometimes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2022, 01:02 PM

2,299 posts, read 1,520,050 times
Bit hard to entirely avoid malls here. They contain supermarkets, banks, travel agents, hairdressers, butchers and fish markets, fruit shops and other essential providers as well as all the usual retail clothes shops etc.
Only exception are those in the inner city.

Old 01-03-2023, 01:17 PM

88,579 posts, read 84,777,093 times
No, except for when I was in my early 20s and it seemed important to get a new shirt or something to wear Friday night, I never liked malls. Parking was always horrendous, too many people inside, very few stores where I could find clothes or shoes that fit me anyway, and I don't enjoy shopping as entertainment.

I recently had the chance to meet my dd for a weekend in Toronto. Somebody said excitedly that they would be sure we would love the Eaton Mall. Seriously? I am from NJ, where you can't toss a pzza pie crust eithout hitting a mall. I am going to a city full of history, art, and interesting ethnic food...and you think I want to waste my limited time in a mall that has all the exact same stores as the Garden State Plaza in Paramus? Eh?

Old 01-04-2023, 12:54 PM

61 posts, read 36,694 times
I'm in central NC. Around here you are taking your life in your hands going to any mall.

I haven't been to an inside mall in 5 years.

The outside mall type of collection of stores and shops are the new wave.

Old 01-04-2023, 07:40 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times
I just went to the Garden State Plaza in NNJ for first time in more than 2 decades. I brought myself a pair of boots.

I went because I have been watching a lot of abandoned malls on YT. GSP is not one of them. I guess in a densely populated area they still have good chance to survive.

Old 01-05-2023, 06:27 AM

19,517 posts, read 9,537,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob NC View Post
I'm in central NC. Around here you are taking your life in your hands going to any mall.

I haven't been to an inside mall in 5 years.

The outside mall type of collection of stores and shops are the new wave.
I only go to a couple of those outdoor collection of stores. They are in opposite directions. On a really nice day, I’ll walk up. Other wise don’t feel like walking up that far in snow or rain. If it were a mall, I might go in to take a peak cuz then I wouldn’t have to feel cold or risk slipping on sidewalk or partial sidewalk. When it’s snowy, half of those outside stores only have half a sidewalk, if that, shoveled! Give me the mall instead.

Trying to take the shortest distance walking from those 2 stores, you also run the risk of getting hit by cars that speed around and cut across aisles. There’s some good drivers that will not speed but there’s so few of them.

Old 01-05-2023, 03:22 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
No, except for when I was in my early 20s and it seemed important to get a new shirt or something to wear Friday night, I never liked malls. Parking was always horrendous, too many people inside, very few stores where I could find clothes or shoes that fit me anyway, and I don't enjoy shopping as entertainment.

I recently had the chance to meet my dd for a weekend in Toronto. Somebody said excitedly that they would be sure we would love the Eaton Mall. Seriously? I am from NJ, where you can't toss a pzza pie crust eithout hitting a mall. I am going to a city full of history, art, and interesting ethnic food...and you think I want to waste my limited time in a mall that has all the exact same stores as the Garden State Plaza in Paramus? Eh?
This! I haven't lived anywhere that has malls for decades and don't miss them. However, I've often visited family who live where malls exist and occasionally needed to shop for something. So many malls have the same few chain stores carrying the same faddish stuff all desperate to grab the same customers. Nothing unusual or particularly interesting. Too many people, noisy echo chamber architecture, screaming kids/obnoxious adolescents, fast food courts with their smells and mess, acres of parking lots with circling distracted drivers, no thank you! If the mall offers entertainments other than shopping the load of kids/adolescents/noise is even higher. A mall is the last place I'd want to go for a walk or converse with someone. Seems to me, if you're a more mindful person trying to cut down how much non-essential consuming you do, a mall "hobby" wouldn't be a great idea.

Last edited by Parnassia; 01-05-2023 at 03:36 PM..

Old 01-08-2023, 10:03 AM

9,858 posts, read 7,729,352 times
Quote:

Yes to all this. If I have free time, the very last place I would go is a mall, no interest at all. To me, it's a place for teenagers. That's where we went when we were teens and spending our allowance money on something to wear for the weekend. It's where my kids worked when they were teens, at the food court and the Apple Store.

The last time I drove to the mall was many years ago when I wanted to look for mother of the groom dresses at Macy's. Last year I bought my mother of the bride dress online, selection was much better. Other than that, there's no reason I would choose to go to the mall.

Old 01-08-2023, 10:32 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,978,563 times
I'll have more free time on my hands next month & plan to go to a few malls I haven't been to in a while!

Quote:

Ha! Yes, w/ that many other intereting points of interest, I'd definitely go to those first if I was an out-of-towner, but I'd probably make time to go to the best mall in the area too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
I only go to a couple of those outdoor collection of stores. They are in opposite directions. On a really nice day, I’ll walk up. Other wise don’t feel like walking up that far in snow or rain. If it were a mall, I might go in to take a peak cuz then I wouldn’t have to feel cold or risk slipping on sidewalk or partial sidewalk. When it’s snowy, half of those outside stores only have half a sidewalk, if that, shoveled! Give me the mall instead.

Trying to take the shortest distance walking from those 2 stores, you also run the risk of getting hit by cars that speed around and cut across aisles. There’s some good drivers that will not speed but there’s so few of them.

I like actual malls (mostly indoor, but I don't mind outdoor) as opposed to stores that are lined up along actual streets outside & having to worry about walking for blocks, corssing streets amongst cars, etc. I prefer to park once and go to everything, then get back in my car when I'm ready to leave.

Old 01-08-2023, 11:21 AM

7,103 posts, read 4,531,425 times
The only time I go to a mall is when the weather is too bad to walk outside and I am sick of using my pedal machine for exercise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation