Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 09:23 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,974,016 times

Advertisements

Most of us have heard of bar-hopping. How about spending your free time mall-hopping? Not to necessarily buy anything, but to stroll around, browse stores, eat, etc. This is one thing I like to do! One mall may not always be enough, so I'll go to another on the way back home within the same area.

There's a limited amount of things I like to do, but I don't drink, dance, go to pubs/lounges, etc. I'm not really outdoorsy either & go to parks or the beach much nor go hiking, camping, water sports, skydiving, skiing, etc. I enjoy the large, modern, upscale shopping malls w/ nice landscaping & plenty of restaurants to choose from, etc., especially at opening time, preferably on a weekday when it's not crowded.

I've loved malls since I was a child. I just wondered who else does this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 09:46 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,972,072 times
Locally, there is one large mall and several mini-malls. The food court in the large mall is OK for a snack but not, IMO, for lunch or dinner.
There are some people who go "mall walking" for exercise, mostly in winter when it is cold outside.
Unless there is a store I need to shop at, I avoid the mall as much as possible. If I do need to shop at one of the stores, I use the outside entrance and avoid the mob in the center court.

Old 01-28-2019, 09:53 AM

19,506 posts, read 9,534,290 times
Used to have a mall. Now it's a bunch of little shops, (like a strip mall) access is only from outside each store. Nearest malls are 30 mins away but in different directions. I suppose one could walk around inside the Super Walmart or in Target (both in town) and then perhaps sit and have a coffee in the cafe.

Old 01-29-2019, 11:07 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,638,338 times
We sometimes go to a local mall just to “mall-walk” when the weather’s not that pleasant and we’re not interested in doing the treadmill. There’s really nothing more we want so we almost never go shopping except for necessities.

Old 01-29-2019, 02:27 PM

Yes, I know there's the mall walking in which people walk strictly for exercise purposes & they're there at 7 - 7:30 AM before the mall stores open, which I do that too when I can.

I'm talking about going during opening hours, just to walk, eat, (& maybe a bit of shopping), so going to the mall as like a fun day's outing, although I know ANY walking is still exercise too.

Old 01-29-2019, 02:33 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times
I used to love malls when I was younger. Now I avoid them unless it's around Christmas time and we want pictures with Santa. I don't need to buy more "stuff". A lot of malls in my city have closed down. Many stores are pulling out of the remaining ones, with temporary vendors setting up shops inside the vacant areas. I think people just don't spend money the way they used to. The very long recession years changed the way that people spend money.

Old 01-29-2019, 04:59 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,537,039 times
Closest mall to us is 25 miles away. But we love to go there occasionally to look around and see what we can't afford. The one main problem I have is while I'm pushing my wife in her wheelchair, That chair, just about always, pulls me into the Mr. Bulky candy store and stops right in front of the malted milk balls I love so much. Have no idea why it does that! lol

Old 02-02-2019, 07:35 AM

My favorite scenario is getting to the mall right at opening time on a regular, old weekday when it's not crowded and most others are at work. I mean MALLS are technically the only places that have these characteristics:

- FREE to go to
- You can be there as long as you like without anyone saying anything
- You can shop & eat
- You can sit and relax, read a book if you want
- You see interesting things, you can people-watch if you want
- You get good exercise walking around
- They're relatively SAFE places to go to, despite the occasional thing you hear on the news about a shooting, etc., but that can happen anywhere

The invention of malls are great & I hope they never completely close up!!!

Old 02-02-2019, 09:31 AM

12,846 posts, read 9,045,657 times
We used to do the mall walking thing when the weather was bad. But the local one has remodeled into a strip mall, so now we walk at Lowes or Walmart during bad weather.

Old 02-02-2019, 05:08 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,963,899 times
I would rather do anything the OP said they didn't do as opposed to walking/wandering in a Mall.
I worked in a Mall for several years doing maintenance, and supervision. No thanks.

I would rather cycle! When I worked at the mall late at night well after the mall closed I would take a bike and fly around the mall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation