Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 04:37 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times

Advertisements

GE has different qualities to their appliances in an effort to compete with Viking, Wolf, etc. For the others saying that all appliances are equal - that is simply untrue.

Here are the things you need to investigate if you go with appliances that you are not familiar with. What is the BTU output of the stoves in question? Generally, Viking and Wolf have higher BTUs and thus you have faster boiling, better ability to blacken, saute, etc. Also, if you're looking at commercial quality ranges, you need to pair that with a commercial quality hood - something to keep in mind. For the oven, are you looking for dual fuel or all gas for your oven? Do you want a convection oven? All of those things will help you to narrow your choices regardless of brand. I would suggest looking at the specs of the higher quality appliances and then compare those specs to the offered GEs.

While the appliances for the DW and even the refrigerator are not as critical, I would highly suggest you spend plenty of attention on your range. This is where the differences are critical and absolutely do make a difference if you skimp.

Since many of the commercial ranges have different clearance than the standard ranges offered by GE, it's critical you pick your appliances before the cabinets are installed if you choose to go with a non-standard offering from your builder.

So, my suggestion would be to ask for the model of the GE the builders are proposing and then compare those specs to the higher quality ranges for which you are familiar. In truth, I think you will find the GE appliances lacking and likely will choose to go with higher quality. Best of luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 05:59 AM

270 posts, read 593,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post

So, my suggestion would be to ask for the model of the GE the builders are proposing and then compare those specs to the higher quality ranges for which you are familiar. In truth, I think you will find the GE appliances lacking and likely will choose to go with higher quality. Best of luck!
Thank you so much, southbel!! Now I have a good point to start with research and hopefully find the right appliances for us!

Old 02-25-2014, 09:00 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,532,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnylo View Post
We are looking to buy a new house right now. It's a Move in Ready one with already finished kitchen. But we did not like the appliances and after my husband told them that the kitchen is priority #1, plus we want a professional standard, the builder promised to upgrade to their "top of the line" stuff.

Problem is, I'm not familiar at all with the brand they use and the online reviews were mediocre if even. It's GE.

Before, we were thinking about getting Viking or Wolff appliances, Bosch dishwasher and maybe a Subzero fridge.

What are your opinions on GE? And should we just get the basic appliances, sell them and buy the stuff we want?
I love my LG refrigerator. It is so quiet I thought it was broke. Double French doors W/freezer on the bottom.

However, I am remodeling my kitchen next month & I couldn't beat the deal with GE Profile. I ordered the induction electric range, wine cooler, dish washer & microwave. My local appliance store took off $850 total off the MSRP, plus I received $450 rebates from the appliance store PLUS $500 rebate from GE direct in rebates. Almost $2000 in savings. So, I spent a few hundred on extended warranties.

My advice, look for rebates. Unless your going very high end like Wolf, Viking, ect..... I think it's a matter of a toyota or a Honda.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:04 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,532,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I'm sure you are, but my point I was trying to make, which most of my friends here "got", was that it is still a flame, a GE flame is the same as a Viking flame, anyone that tells you different is lying. I'm sure if you cooked on my GE profile stove your meal would taste just as good as if it was cooked on a Viking Stove.

and FWIW, my cousin has a 6 burner viking stove, a sub zero fridge, bla, bla, bla....she made us a meal, and if I didn't see the stove in her brand new kitchen, I would have sworn it was cooked on a regular stove, not a high end (expensive) stove. It didn't make the food taste any better....and the soda in her Sub-Zero fridge was just as cold as mine in my Amana.

The point I am making, is, I think, JMO, but I think all this "high end" expensive appliances is purely a "status" symbol, that some people feel they must have in order to be .....something.....
It seems only since HGTV has become popular, appliances seem like the most important thing on earth.

An oven is an oven, it has flames and heat and does the same thing. It only seems as of latley that "high end", meaning "expensive" appliances seem to be wanted for some reason, and I am thinking the reason is status.
We hear the HGTV people constantly say, Oh we have to upgrade to SS....upgrade my ass, all it means is changing colors......

You are absolutely correct! I play the drums, it's the person behind the set (stove/cook) that makes it sound/taste good. Not the $8,000 set VS the $600 set.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:24 AM

270 posts, read 593,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
You are absolutely correct! I play the drums, it's the person behind the set (stove/cook) that makes it sound good. Not the $8,000 set VS the $600 set.
I disagree. Wolf, Viking, Miele offer a completely different standard. We have some low tech, no name companies here too, but I would never buy from them. Cause they don't have steam ovens, sous vide or ranges with wok burners. Yes, that makes a difference if you just can't do some cooking techniques. Maybe if you're talking frozen pizza or pancakes and bacon, not. But I'm having low temperature goose or steamed lobster in mind.

It's not a surprise that well known chefs like Jamie Oliver pay thousands of $ for the perfect knifes, cause they know how important good tools are.

Toyota or a Honda? They are almost the same league, aren't they? I would maybe use the Mercedes-Honda comparison.

Rebates are nice, sure. But I don't want to remodel my kitchen every 5 years, so saving some $ but have to deal with stuff I'm not happy with sounds not that pleasing to me.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:35 AM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
An excellent GE product

Another one

Old 02-25-2014, 10:36 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Great pictures. I suspect lynnylo doesn't realize GE means General Electric.

Here's a list of the amazing things GE does. GE Products

Everything from marine, aviation, transportation and to medical and all types of energy, including nuclear, and more.

Last edited by Hopes; 02-25-2014 at 10:48 AM..

Old 02-25-2014, 10:44 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Here's GE's high end appliance line. It's called monogram. The ranges are over $10,000.

Why Use Monogram's High-End Appliances | Monogram

GE finds sleek profit in luxury appliances

Old 02-25-2014, 10:55 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Here's GE's high end appliance line. It's called monogram. The ranges are over $10,000.

Why Use Monogram's High-End Appliances | Monogram

GE finds sleek profit in luxury appliances
I knew they had a line that was trying to compete with Viking, Wolf, etc but couldn't remember the name. Seems this line would be it.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:59 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnylo View Post
Maybe if you're talking frozen pizza or pancakes and bacon, not.
If you don't think someone with a $700 GE range can cook anything but frozen pizza, you have a lot to learn.

Quote:
Toyota or a Honda? They are almost the same league, aren't they? I would maybe use the Mercedes-Honda comparison.
Oh, you're right: Mercedes are a lot less reliable than Hondas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating