Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 09:53 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times

Advertisements

Larger bottom freezer refrigerators are being sold used on Craig's List for over $1,000. Some are even close to $2,000. There were two very well maintained ones from affluent neighborhoods that were in the $500 range obviously because they were doing another remodel just a couple of years later. They had been on there for a month or two. I was seriously slightly starting to consider them instead of buying new. When I went to show my husband to see what he thought, suddenly they were both gone. I suspect a used appliance company snatched them up to resell for $1,000. Life is pretty crazy when used refrigerators are $1,000. I'm getting new, but I was tempted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 10:10 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Larger bottom freezer refrigerators are being sold used on Craig's List for over $1,000. Some are even close to $2,000. There were two very well maintained ones from affluent neighborhoods that were in the $500 range obviously because they were doing another remodel just a couple of years later. They had been on there for a month or two. I was seriously slightly starting to consider them instead of buying new. When I went to show my husband to see what he thought, suddenly they were both gone. I suspect a used appliance company snatched them up to resell for $1,000. Life is pretty crazy when used refrigerators are $1,000. I'm getting new, but I was tempted.
Reminds me of the time I saw a almost new Wolf 30" stove on Craigslist for $300. Even though I didn't need a stove at that exact moment, I should have snatched it up. A few hours later when I said what the heck, it was gone.

Old 02-26-2014, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Reminds me of the time I saw a almost new Wolf 30" stove on Craigslist for $300. Even though I didn't need a stove at that exact moment, I should have snatched it up. A few hours later when I said what the heck, it was gone.
That would have been awesome for $300. I'm not above buying used. We've done it in the past when we were desperate. The range we have right now was $50 from the Pennysaver 10 years ago. This time I was considering used so I could get MORE for my money. The problem is it's easier to part with a few hundred dollars for used than $1,000. If it breaks, you're only out a few hundred dollars. Unless something amazing turns up, I'll be buying new and smaller.

Old 02-26-2014, 10:41 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,812,603 times
I had a ge dishwasher it was rubbish didn't clean the dishes at all I had to hand wash em then put them in the machine!! whats the point of that . had a ge microwave that lasted 2 years ofcourse the warranty is gone at that point and your screwed buying a new one when it should have lasted longer

Old 02-26-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:
That would have been awesome for $300. I'm not above buying used. We've done it in the past when we were desperate. The range we have right now was $50 from the Pennysaver 10 years ago. This time I was considering used so I could get MORE for my money. The problem is it's easier to part with a few hundred dollars for used than $1,000. If it breaks, you're only out a few hundred dollars. Unless something amazing turns up, I'll be buying new and smaller.
Around here, we see people remodeling brand new houses upon buying them. Seems to happen a lot. We have some very high priced waterfront real estate so I'm guessing ripping out brand new kitchens is not as big a deal for them. Thus, I tend to see literally brand new stuff for sale at crazy good prices. I think it's one of those things where they're not really so interested in the amount they receive but just don't want to throw out something brand new. I love those finds. Haven't bought any appliances that way but did find a few odds and ends that ended up being a great deal. Of course, I'm so darn frugal and love a great deal - drives my husband a little nuts.

Old 02-26-2014, 10:57 AM

3,201 posts, read 4,411,086 times
nothing wrong w/ ge

builders usually have a deal w/ ge or whoever and get them dirt cheap and charge you retail for em

There high end is monogram, but it depends on your house ..all homes won't accpmodate a 42 or 48" sxs or 48" pro range

Also you may not want all appliances to be the same brand

For my modest home I have a ge 30" dual fuel range, ge dishwasher, 36" frigidaire French door fridge, LG w/d

Depends on your home and what you need

Old 02-26-2014, 11:22 AM

270 posts, read 593,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post

Depends on your home and what you need
I've sent my husband the good advises some of the people here gave me. And he just told me: "when we do it, we'll do it right!" . He already made an appointment at a wolf showroom and asked me to do some research on Miele US. The builder won't sell the house without appliances, so we'll take the cheap ones and just get rid of them/sell them.

For the fridge we decided in favor of Sub Zero. We're tending to Wolf for the ovens and stove top. Yes, Miele will be cheaper, but I have to look first what they offer over there. We already know that the range+oven from Wolf will be about 12k and I need a second one. So I guess Miele would win prize wise.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnylo View Post
I've sent my husband the good advises some of the people here gave me. And he just told me: "when we do it, we'll do it right!" . He already made an appointment at a wolf showroom and asked me to do some research on Miele US. The builder won't sell the house without appliances, so we'll take the cheap ones and just get rid of them/sell them.
This sounds like the best solution to your problem. There's no sense in wasting money on the builder's appliances.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:
This sounds like the best solution to your problem. There's no sense in wasting money on the builder's appliances.
Concur. I would suggest the OP just make sure that she's trading like size for like size to avoid issues with moving cabinetry, etc.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Concur. I would suggest the OP just make sure that she's trading like size for like size to avoid issues with moving cabinetry, etc.
That's an important warning because cheaper appliances are often smaller than high end ones. It would be awful if she ends up needing to install a whole new kitchen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating